YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Diving is mostly wet but sooooo much fun
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The first time on home soil (sea), so to speak. Diving muddy puddles is not quite the same as the open blue sea of the welsh coast, from Yorkshires green landscape to the ruggedness of Wales, which is not to dissimilar but the contrast of the blue lagoon to the Irish sea couldn’t be further apart.
We were filled with a mixture of excitement and anticipation as to what the British coast line had to offer, Heading over the welsh Wales border and without our pass ports, leaving the best Speedo’s at home, this is due to the fact that it is bank holiday and the rain is guaranteed so not much point building sand castle on the beech!
Finally we arrive at our chosen B & B for the duration of our stay a hearty meal and a couple of beers later we get our heads down for the night drifting off thinking of the pots of gold on the sea bed.
A even more hearty full English later and we set off trying to find the appropriate site to dip our toes, bull bay is said to be good, how ever this is the bank holiday and what a disaster bull bay was the gulls had gone south and the penguins had moved in.:frown:
So with the wise words of YODA ((Yorkshires Older Divers Association) YD for short) still ringing in my ear the south of the island we headed. Porth davic is like a mill pond so too is the bay. This is it our duck is going to be broken, the caress of the salt water is by far nicer than muddy puddle water.:redface:
Hardly a current to speak of nice and steady we paddle out over the sea weed and shallow rocks the odd small crab oblivious as to out presence, the couple looking on in awe at the sight of two people making there way out into the Irish sea! We didn’t care our focus was in the sea life and getting back to shore. The colours and the life down below was amazing, the first time below the water my head felt like it was on a 360 pivot, I had only been down for a couple of minutes and had to empty my mask because I was smiling so much, I was now beginning to plan the next dive in the real sea, the vis was good and there was loads to sea from star fish to wrasse of all colours, crabs and lobsters even spider crabs, It reminded me of my first time in a sweet shop without my mum.:teeth:
40 minutes later we were back at the car de-kitting and chatting away about what we had just seen the star fish, slugs and jelly fish so small you could just make them out, on and on we went so much so that we packed away and was planning the next cove dive.
Oh had the bonus came by way of the dive shop open Sunday, so tank fills too, and a chat about local shore dives, which may only be shallow but they are real fun for two divers wishing they had started 20 years ago.
Can’t wait for the weekend….. These days……And it is in part thanks to all the word of YODA!
The number 1 dive forum of the world.
Thank you for all your advice and guidance.
Thanks to Bob and Chris and the Pandy bar B & B.
Safe diving to One and All

P.S going again at the weekend, soon have a full dive log.:teeth: :teeth: [/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Bloody H, FF! Some of us aren't as young as we used to be and that font is way too small for my dodgy peepers so have enlarged it so I can read it!! :):):)

The first time on home soil (sea), so to speak. Diving muddy puddles is not quite the same as the open blue sea of the welsh coast, from Yorkshires green landscape to the ruggedness of Wales, which is not to dissimilar but the contrast of the blue lagoon to the Irish sea couldn’t be further apart.
We were filled with a mixture of excitement and anticipation as to what the British coast line had to offer, Heading over the welsh Wales border and without our pass ports, leaving the best Speedo’s at home, this is due to the fact that it is bank holiday and the rain is guaranteed so not much point building sand castle on the beech!
Finally we arrive at our chosen B & B for the duration of our stay a hearty meal and a couple of beers later we get our heads down for the night drifting off thinking of the pots of gold on the sea bed.
A even more hearty full English later and we set off trying to find the appropriate site to dip our toes, bull bay is said to be good, how ever this is the bank holiday and what a disaster bull bay was the gulls had gone south and the penguins had moved in.:frown:
So with the wise words of YODA ((Yorkshires Older Divers Association) YD for short) still ringing in my ear the south of the island we headed. Porth davic is like a mill pond so too is the bay. This is it our duck is going to be broken, the caress of the salt water is by far nicer than muddy puddle water.:redface:
Hardly a current to speak of nice and steady we paddle out over the sea weed and shallow rocks the odd small crab oblivious as to out presence, the couple looking on in awe at the sight of two people making there way out into the Irish sea! We didn’t care our focus was in the sea life and getting back to shore. The colours and the life down below was amazing, the first time below the water my head felt like it was on a 360 pivot, I had only been down for a couple of minutes and had to empty my mask because I was smiling so much, I was now beginning to plan the next dive in the real sea, the vis was good and there was loads to sea from star fish to wrasse of all colours, crabs and lobsters even spider crabs, It reminded me of my first time in a sweet shop without my mum.:teeth:
40 minutes later we were back at the car de-kitting and chatting away about what we had just seen the star fish, slugs and jelly fish so small you could just make them out, on and on we went so much so that we packed away and was planning the next cove dive.
Oh had the bonus came by way of the dive shop open Sunday, so tank fills too, and a chat about local shore dives, which may only be shallow but they are real fun for two divers wishing they had started 20 years ago.
Can’t wait for the weekend….. These days……And it is in part thanks to all the word of YODA!
The number 1 dive forum of the world.
Thank you for all your advice and guidance.
Thanks to Bob and Chris and the Pandy bar B & B.
Safe diving to One and All

P.S going again at the weekend, soon have a full dive log.:teeth: :teeth:

·
23,946 Posts
Good, another one who "gets it".

Glad you enjoyed your sea dive!
:)

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Glad to hear that you are having such a good time. And brave enough to go to Wales as well isn't it look you. :)

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
thanks vonny wales isn't that bad. very prity
Damn straight it is! :D

Was nice to read about someone excited and enthusiastic about diving :)

·
23,946 Posts
Damn straight it is! :D
Maybe that's why the Welsh hate the English ........... to scare us off from going to their lovely country? Are they the same with the Scots and Irish?

I suppose it could have just been me they didn't like ................... no ............. I find that difficult to believe! :angel:

·
1,451 Posts
Maybe that's why the Welsh hate the English ........... to scare us off from going to their lovely country?
Again ;)

Are they the same with the Scots and Irish?
Nope

I suppose it could have just been me they didn't like ................... no ............. I find that difficult to believe! :angel:
If it was up north you went then they're all like that [ducks for cover], I wouldn't worry too much about it :)

Lloyd

·
23,946 Posts
They hurt my feelings. :frown: Still, better than my body! :)

Oh dear.

If it was up north you went then they're all like that [ducks for cover]
So I've heard + I think we were in the Southern half.

I wouldn't worry too much about it :)

Lloyd
You're joking? You should have seen the size of them! :):) Everyone has names for others ........... in my bits of London all strange blokes were called John. In Wales all English strangers are called Feb! :):):)

·
1,451 Posts
Never heard that one :embarassed: and I've created plenty of similar ones in my time, hehe, mainly whilst watching the rugby.

You learn something everyday, sometimes I wish it was more useful learning :angel:

·
23,946 Posts
Never heard that one :embarassed: and I've created plenty of similar ones in my time, hehe, mainly whilst watching the rugby.

You learn something everyday, sometimes I wish it was more useful learning :angel:
I agree, it's pure greed to have to many ways of calling us bastards! :teeth:

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Nice to read of another happy Anglesey visitor :teeth:

If you need any info on best sites for conditions/ time of year just PM me and I'll help where I can. For future reference the next bay South of Porth Dafarch is an even better shore-dive (a little wooden wreck in there) - Porth Y Post- fantastic site for a safe night-dive too :)
Tried to point Looby and Mala in that direction when we were blown out this side Sunday onwards but they decided to set off early with the Farnes trip in mind- can't wait till they read your report :angel:

ATB,
Terry

·
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks terry
we did dive porth y post and found the wreck really nice bay with easy access.
don't want to get to involved with the debate between finless and freind maybe thats way some newbies dont continue posting...some of us just enjoy life not fight over it!!!
don't mean to rant but thats the thrid post that has been hijacked....you want to continue the set up your own thread, and have it out there!

·
Bashing head against brick wall
2,105 Posts
Glad you enjoyed your first dip in the sea. I wouldn't worry too much about threads drifting off in different directions. No one is being deliberately rude (I think). It's just like a conversation in a pub, it starts off one place and ends up in another, with several detours en-route! :teeth:

·
23,946 Posts
don't want to get to involved with the debate between finless and freind maybe thats way some newbies dont continue posting...some of us just enjoy life not fight over it!!!
Not 'fight' but 'banter' - that's why the smiley faces are there. We were, what is know locally as "avin a larf" - your post provided the subject matter.

Highjacked? Hmmmmmmm .......... if you see it so then I will endeavour not to interfere with your posts in future ............ unless, of course, directly in relation to your post.

:embarassed:

·
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:teeth: yes i did/do get aving a laugh pub speak and banter,:embarassed:
sorry
welcome any time finless:girlhug:

·
1,451 Posts
Not 'fight' but 'banter' - that's why the smiley faces are there. We were, what is know locally as "avin a larf" - your post provided the subject matter.

Highjacked? Hmmmmmmm .......... if you see it so then I will endeavour not to interfere with your posts in future ............ unless, of course, directly in relation to your post.

:embarassed:
Urgh yeah, sorry just having a joke, sorry for nicking your thread :embarassed:

Did enjoy your post on the first trip into the sea though :)

Lloyd

1 - 20 of 24 Posts