YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Well I passed my PADI OW yesterday, now on my way to being financially bankrupt after returning to the dive shop with credit card in hand.  

So thank you Dave and Rowena the instructors ( if you lurk on here ) for an "interesting day" and getting me through the two dives.

It seems all the time in the shower practicing mask flood and clears paid off as that was the one drill I thought I would have freaked out on.

And just one more comment before I go, thanks to the group of divers who found it highly amusing watching our group trying to do weight removal at the surface drills, would have loved to see you doing this drills for the first time, how our group would have chuckled. sorry rant over.

ancl

· Registered
608 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ancl @ Aug. 24 2003,08:15)]And just one more comment before I go, thanks to the group of divers who found it highly amusing watching our group trying to do weight removal at the surface drills, would have loved to see you doing this drills for the first time, how our group would have chuckled. sorry rant over.
<font color='#0000FF'>Just you wait.. in a couple of years you will have forgotten all about your ordeals as a newbie and you'll be in the chuckling crowd yourself  

Seriously:
Welcome to the community. Man you're going to be sorry. Or at least your wallet/spouse/bank (tick appropriate) will be.
I can honestly say learning to dive has changed my life in many ways. Three years into it I haven't regretted it once.

Have fun!

Kyrre
Harstad, Norway.

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

The wife was happy cos I brought her the padi bubblemaker towel and plastic toy cos she thought it was cute.

I don't think she's actually took in I paid near to £900 for stuff yesterday, and I need to get more.  oh please let me open the credit card statement letter before she does.

So today I'm in on overtime at work to start getting the money to pay for this sport.

ancl.

· Registered
608 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Well should she open it before you get your neoprene clad hands on it you can use this as an argument:

Buying new equipment here in Norway is going to cost you somewhere in the range of £1500 to £2000. And that does not include a computer, just a bottomtimer and pressure gauge. Nor a torch.

You may use me as reference should you get in a jam  

Kyrre
(With a diving wife. No way can I hide any new gadgets.. she knows what equipment I've got.
)

· Street Cleansing Operative
4,348 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>When it comes to non-diving spouses and the purchase of diving kit I always find dishonesty, concealment and subterfuge is generally the best policy!

Lets face it - we spend most of the time trying to convince ourselves that that latest little gadget isn't all that expensive after all, that it's good value for money and really it's essential as it might save our life one day. Who are we trying to kid?

I'm sure that if I sat down and added up what all the bits of kit in my bag had actually cost I'd be terrified. I would not want to expose my dear wife to such distress. She's better off not knowing!

Ancl, get up early every morning and sit under the letter box; hide the bill when it comes and lie your arse off! It will save your marriage!

In the meantime, congratulations and welcome to the club!

· Registered
608 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Aug. 24 2003,10:17)]Lets face it - we spend most of the time trying to convince ourselves that that latest little gadget isn't all that expensive after all, that it's good value for money and really it's essential as it might save our life one day. Who are we trying to kid?
<font color='#0000FF'>Guess we should all go DIR and just buy the essentials...

No really, I'm seriou... PFFFFfff

Aaaah....

Well you know what it's like. At work since early morning, it's Sunday.. just one of those days you laugh at every silly little thing.

Kyrre

· Registered
2,308 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Aug. 24 2003,10:17)]When it comes to non-diving spouses and the purchase of diving kit I always find dishonesty, concealment and subterfuge is generally the best policy!
And if she finds out anyway, I always say I had to buy it 'cos it's essential for my safety  

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Still stuck at work, couple more hours and I can afford some more dive kit

So now I've got the OW ticket, where do people recommend for a newbie with another newly qualified buddy to start out at ? ( or is it advisable to get some dive time in with a senior diver ? )

I want to get some dives in my log-book first before going AOW.

Planning on having a nose around Stoney one weekend to see what the place looks like from a surface point of view....with the intention of doing a dive during the week

opinions / comments please ?

ancl

· Street Cleansing Operative
4,348 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>For your early dives I'd say that it's preferable to go with someone with a bit of experience. It's here that the odd little problems will crop up - the sort of thing that the basic training doesn't really prepare you for. Having someone along who can help you cope with those is by far the best idea.

I'm sure you'll find someone local here on the boards who'd be happy to join you for a dip, but ideally you should get involved with a club, if you have one.

When I first qualified most of my early dives were organised by the shop that trained me. If you are struggling there, and are diving with another newly qualified buddy, stick to locations that you are familiar with (i.e. where you trained). If this is an inland site stick to the training platforms and go through your drills for the first few dives. Use the time to get used to your kit.

When you feel ready to spread your wings and stretch your envelope a bit, you should always do it with an experienced buddy to guide you through it. Never venture into the unknown without a helping hand. Again, there are plenty of people here all too willing to oblige - just ask.

You've got the right idea about getting some diving done before AOW - take your time to learn and stay safe!

(As for Stoney - there's been a couple of posts this weekend saying that the viz is particularly poor. Not ideal really, so if you do go definitely stick to the shallow platforms.)

· Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,904 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ancl @ Aug. 24 2003,13:36)]Still stuck at work, couple more hours and I can afford some more dive kit

So now I've got the OW ticket, where do people recommend for a newbie with another newly qualified buddy to start out at ? ( or is it advisable to get some dive time in with a senior diver ? )

I want to get some dives in my log-book first before going AOW.

Planning on having a nose around Stoney one weekend to see what the place looks like from a surface point of view....with the intention of doing a dive during the week

opinions / comments please ?

ancl
If you are doing it properly diving is not a sport or hobby it is an obsesson. All dive equipment is essential for your survival, at least as far as the "significant other" is concerned and you can accuse her of not loving you if she baulks at some of your purchases.

Well done on getting over the first hurdle.

I don't think there is any need to check Stoney out in person in advance of the day you are diving (unless you live very close) as there is a map on their web site with depths directions to the various attractions etc. Also the various depths available are on flatish planes so there is little chance of going too deep without noticing it. I second what has already been mentioned abt getting someone more experienced to go with you for the first few times.

· Registered
3 Posts
Imported post

I'd like to thank my agent...

Hi Andy, found the post!  Did you edit it from what you said to me at the end of the course [and wrote in my log book]?  I'm sure it was ruder than this before you told me where to find it.

I'm glad you're spending your dosh on kit, and not buying your instructors a beer after you qualified.
The shop has my number if you want a dive when I'm free.

David

· Registered
2,828 Posts
Imported post

Congratulations on becoming a debtor.. I mean, diver!
If you're now planning on spending your overtime, there's a huge amount of highly useful advice written in an informative way by... well, me, actually

Buying guide

· Just not enough dive time.
9,000 Posts
Imported post

Well done on the OW, good idea to get a few dives done before AOW too. Look at the AOW as a bit more learning how to dive whilst having a bit of fun, certainly more than doing the OW course.
Stoney is awful busy at w/e but is a great place to get more experience as their saftey facilities are good. Only trouble is that at w/e it can be a bit daunting, especially first thing. By lunch time a lot of people have left so its less crowded but by then the bottom has usually been well churned up so the viz is poor. Swings and roundabouts I'm afraid. However the left hand side is nice and shallow and not used a great deal, plus there is usually a Pike swimming about to keep you amused/frightened. Be carefull though as it does shelve off quite steeply so watch your bouyancy control there. You'll need a torch as it can be quite murky/dark in parts. OW that's 18m isnt it - Stoney is about 22/25m to the bottom of the Stanegarth (wreck) but there are other areas too that are shallower. There is also a hydrobox which is deeper and darker and colder, I havent gone there yet as there's bugger all to see/do down there.

You may not find many people going there from here at the moment as the Sea is so much more attractive at this time of year, but come Oct/Nov I'll be going  and be happy to buddy you up. Do you have a dry-suit as Autumn/Winter/Spring is not semi weather as far as I'm concerned. And anybody that can remember my postings on Divernet will know how convinced I was that I'd be OK in a semi all year round -wrong. Divernet, also known as the Dark Side (as are Rebreathers) or affectionately as Handbagnet cos of the hammering everyone gets over there for asking simple questions such as who's best Padi or Bsac, doesnt happen here generally. But there Buddy Line is quite usefull.

Well done and cu soon.
Matt

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Freef @ Aug. 27 2003,12:57)]I'd like to thank my agent...

Hi Andy, found the post!  Did you edit it from what you said to me at the end of the course [and wrote in my log book]?  I'm sure it was ruder than this before you told me where to find it.

I'm glad you're spending your dosh on kit, and not buying your instructors a beer after you qualified.
The shop has my number if you want a dive when I'm free.

David
Next time you are down I'll buy you a pint.

For those who are interested I put in the instructors log "does not play well with others !"  

I have spent most of today trying to sell my motorbike to pay for more scuba kit, but no one is buying.

Haven't got a dry suit yet, plan to rent semi-dry for a few dives, then do the dry suit course ( 1 day ? )  Need to improve my BC before I start dabbling with dry suits.

Hmm let me see whose doing interest free credit cards at the moment

I think some of the OW students from last week are planning to be at Gildy on Sunday, if I can sell the wife then I'll be diving.....

Andy ( ancl )

· old time
6,621 Posts
Imported post

Well down on passing ya OW.

Now to business, you said and i QUOTE
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The wife was happy cos I brought her the padi bubblemaker towel and plastic toy cos she thought it was cute.
Wives and plastic toys , ermmm was it dolphin and not a RABBIT
???

lol

Andy

· Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

Congrats mate! After a few dives and your AOW, we'll get you started on the proper business of which diving arguments you can get involved with......BSAC/PADI......etc.  

I'll get mi (Non-DIFruit) coat....

Serioulsy, well done and welcome to the SCUBA club.

Cheers and dive safe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.