YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Ya know,

One day I will be in a pub, sitting in a train, or perhaps just walking down the street and I will hear someone turn to there mate next to them and say, got em, sent out the virus yesterday.

Well, I will just walk over, all casual like and kick em in the nuts, and whilst there bent over holding the offending articles I shall gently take him by the hands and kick him there again. I shall repeat this process untill his scrotum contains two bags of jelly instead of his original bollocks.

From which you can deduce, I have just spent the last half an hour removing another f**king virus from my incredibly well protected machine.

Andrew

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

Only the one?
I have spent the afternoon at my sister's sorting out her pc, which had no less than 23 viruses and trojans and 220 different bits of spyware plus a couple of "damn pain in the arse to get rid of" diallers.

Some people should never be allowed near a pc

·
Registered
233 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Haven't got a clue about computers and my pc is always like that. Learned to live with viruses now, might miss them if someone sorted my computer:D

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Ok guys,

Stop drooling over kit and spend £40 on Norton AntiVirus. You can get it at Staples, PC World or any other big PC related place. It will prevent loads of harm happening to your machine through viruses. If you want better protection, the "extra safe" of software would be the Internet security version, around £60. It won't stop the love of your life getting pregnant, but it will stop people buggering your other passion.

James  

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Don't be fooled, got Norton, got Zone Labs, but a new virus will beat em all.

ANdrew

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (andyp @ Feb. 27 2004,22:39)]I will hear someone turn to there mate next to them and say, got em, sent out the virus yesterday.
<font color='#810541'>I don't think that sort of scrote has mates - well, not real ones anyway.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Alternatively, download Linux for free and stop being vulnerable to viruses

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Whilst I'm largely - he said, tempting the bitch that is fate - protected from viruses (viri?
), due to being connected to a network in the US which is 'swept' every 10 secs for any nefarious squirts and acts by Web-malpheasants, I have to agree with the sentiments of Philips Esq!!

On capture, punishment should involve various sharp implements (of my choosing), a wire brush, a bottle of caustic soda and the miscreant's jap's-eye!!!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Viruses? That'll be why I'm sitting eating a crap burger in McDonalds. Needed to come in to get acess to my Yahoo account. Can't even figure out how to get  rid of the thing.........

Peter

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nick Bown @ Feb. 29 2004,14:19)]Heh, I run fiancial servers in an ultra-high security data centre for a living. Oddly enough I don't get viruses at home and less than 3 spam emails a day  
Nick mate,

I think that that might have something to do with the fact that you probably connect at home via your corporate VPN, which in itself will be covered by your company's in-house network security policy - about which Data Centres are pretty rigid, especially where finance content is your daily bread-n-butter.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Feb. 29 2004,14:25)]Viruses? That'll be why I'm sitting eating a crap burger in McDonalds. Needed to come in to get acess to my Yahoo account. Can't even figure out how to get  rid of the thing.........

Peter
Eh? They now do web-access in the Micky D's in Glasga??

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Yeah! It's the nearest public access I've got to my gaff. £1 for 1/2 hour. The terminals are, how do I put it, welded to the floor though

Peter

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Not wishing to get into a "my anti-virus is better than your anti-virus" (I work for McAfee, after all, so my view might be slightly biased...)

The important thing is to have AV software on your computer AND TO REGULARLY UPDATE IT!

With most major virus outbreaks, McAfee (and the others, I am sure) will post at least a virus description that will block the virus within a matter of hours. Often, this will also fix any damage, but occasionally, the "fix" option may be a day later if it is a particularly nasty (ie. "new") virus.

As an example, McAfee have issed two Emergency DATs (the virus definitions) this weekend alone. (For the "Bagle.c" and "Bagle.e" viruses)

(Bren, as an aside, within the industry, we talk about "viruses", not virii!)

On your home PCs, set your Anti-virus software to check for updates EVERY time you connect to the internet. Also, try to use e-mail providers that include AV scanning of all messages.

Hope this helps

Andrew (abucks)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts