YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any agency formally teach Visualisation Techniques as part of their courses?

I am doing some research into the topic and would appreciate any references to the use of this technique in diver training.

Thanks in advance for any information/links etc.

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
IANTD feature it heavily in all their training materials. Unfortunately for my liking - it gets a bit too tied up with Eastern martial arts philosophy which puts a lot of people off. HTH

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
At the moment I am visualising getting up at 6am on Sunday to run a boat up to Shoreham to catch the tide so we can pull it out and anti-foul it.
(neap tide on a free slipway so very little margin for error.)

Not quite the most idyllic prospect.
Getting up at 6am to go diving might feel a lot better but maybe later in the year...

I am never quite sure what people mean by 'visualise'.
In a previous life, or so it feels, I was advised to have plans for dealing with bike racing accidents and to rehearse them in your mind before a race, so you just did the right thing without thinking... and that saved my neck a time or two. Is this the same sort of thing but in new age holistic new-speak?

·
Registered
876 Posts
A guess its about think lucky. Have the right attitude to a degree.Visualization to my mind can encompass the entire pre dive procedure. Arrive well in time to load up. Have a well rehearsed kit up regime.Ie dont be under any stress before you even get in the water. True thought vizualisation occurs whilst you are sat kitted up waiting to dive. You think about your kit. What you know about the dive. What you may be aiming to do or see. Also there should be some physical preparedness.Alert, happy, breathing and heart rate down. Of course none of this can occur if you have arrived late for the boat and chucked your kit on in a heap annoying your fellow divers in the process.Yoga breathing techniques amplify the physical preparedness you hope to achieve. Purely by breathing correctly you can reduce stress and achieve a calm perspective.Just try it next time you are in a queue at the bank.
Vizualisation is not a mystical Eastern doctrine to put you in touch with your karma. Its merely a common sense approach to diving, life and everything in life. Its just an easy way to calm yourself and make you more prepared for that unforeseen stressful situation. Surely better than striking out or fling into a blind panic. Irrational behaviour which will achieve nothing and exacerbate the problem. Mount talks about perceptual narrowing, attitude , self discipline ,buddy dependency , analytical narrowing, response narrowing and time pressure. All heady stuff though really all common sense. Mount states that Vizualization is one of the most effective ways to direct and control stress and human performance. Most Olympic athletes are taught this technique. A person who thinks lucky usually is lucky. Willpower is really just a positive attitude. Enjoyment comes from a positive mind. The pessimist will always find fault.The pessimist gives up the struggle before the optimist. For the latter things will always get better. So if just a little positive thought can improve your diving and your life why not give it a try? Visualise a happy day. Likely you will get one.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
IANTD feature it heavily in all their training materials. Unfortunately for my liking - it gets a bit too tied up with Eastern martial arts philosophy which puts a lot of people off. HTH
Certainly put me off. Faster than finding out the woman you have just pulled in a dark nightclub has tackle swinging between her legs that would embarrass a Grand National winner.

I like (and use) visualisation but all that martial arts stuff really gets up my nose. Makes Tom Mount look like a Bruce Lee wannabe 12 year old Jackie Chan fan. I bet he has a massive collection of throwing stars and has made his own nunchucks out of 2 bits of broom handle and a length of plug chain. Then [email protected] himself round the back of the head while screeching and whoooooooing in front of a mirror with a tie tied round his head.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Very important. See-

" Mixed Gas Diving " by Tom Mount and Bret Gilliam

"As a person thinks so a person is "
I think Mixed Gas Diving is possibly the best book ever written about technical diving... However, I think all the mumbojumbo Tom Mount self-indulgent bullshit is the one part I'd have removed. I really don't care about how empathetic he is to his dog's thoughts. Sadly a lot of the IANTD manuals from the 90's were perfused with it as well.

·
Likes rummaging in rust
1,571 Posts
Certainly put me off. Faster than finding out the woman you have just pulled in a dark nightclub has tackle swinging between her legs that would embarrass a Grand National winner.

I like (and use) visualisation but all that martial arts stuff really gets up my nose. Makes Tom Mount look like a Bruce Lee wannabe 12 year old Jackie Chan fan. I bet he has a massive collection of throwing stars and has made his own nunchucks out of 2 bits of broom handle and a length of plug chain. Then [email protected] himself round the back of the head while screeching and whoooooooing in front of a mirror with a tie tied round his head.
A bit like this then

·
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies so far, very interesting.

I think most replies are to do with perhaps getting yourself in a good frame of mind for the upcoming dive, often with a period of pre-dive contemplation, running through all aspects of the run time.

What I am more interested in, and perhaps I could have made it clearer at the start, is where visualisation techniques are actually used in training courses to help students master a new skill. For example having been shown the basics of compass work, students may be asked to visualise swimming a square course and all the necessary steps and considerations to achieve a successful return to the start point.

Do any agencies adopt visualisation in this form to actually teach skills................?

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Do any agencies adopt visualisation in this form to actually teach skills................?
That would be down to the instructor and how to best convey the information to particular students, no agency bans visualisation so any instructor is free to advise use of the technique.

But I still prefer the term thinking about stuff....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.