YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Taken from UK diving referring to vivian quarry

"Hello Scott - answers to your questions: We are opening ASAP - the hold up at the moment is the council's solicitor, who hopefully will sort things by the end of next week !!!! Times of opening - the same as it was in the past - w/days 10am - 5pm and w/ends 9am - 5:30pm. Night diving - yes - but we haven't yet sorted when. Fills - 10 & 12L 232B = £2:50p. 15L = £3 and Pony £1:50. Nitrox - we are hoping to add a membrane unit to the compressor, which will produce up to 40% oxygen - doing it this way - your equipment will not have to be O2 cleaned. - This will be in around 12 months time. Loose rocks and boulders - this is not our domain - only the centre, water and platforms. Ladder - we have designed our own - it is being made now - hopefully it will cater for all needs. Web Site - yes there 'will' be a web site - it could even be the first that Vivian had - as it is frozen at the server, because of non payment by the previuous owner.
John, [email protected], 26 September 2003 "

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Cheers for this Kirky,

Have you dived Viv? I've never been near her; what's she like? Interesting? So-so? Worth a trip?? I believe she's about 18/20 metres deep - true/false?

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>hiya Bren,
   Good few yrs since I've been to Vivian. Very small- you can easily do a full circuit of it in a 20min dive. If not busy expect around 10m vis most of time. Depth 20m if you invert yourself and swim into the mud, arm outstretched- i.e. 18m  
Used to be a short swiming-pool ladder from platform- glad to see they're binning that. Small hut in it, 6m GRP shipwreck, a trout and some newts in it. Spot on for training in the early days. Never outdo Dotty because you have to pay  
and we know what tightwads divers are  

ATB,
          Terry

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Agree - in summer it resembles a jaccuzzi when there are 20 divers in it. Having said that it can be a very oppressive dive - sheer cliffs all round, great vis, cold and quite dark - great fun. There are a couple of blast houses in it, small wreck etc but you can swim around the whole place in 20 mins. Max depth I ever got was 18m.

Best fun I had was looking at my buddys face as he swam thru one of the blast houses and stabbed his BC on some slate - bubbles everywhere and I could still hear him effing and blinding. There also used to be the obligatory gnome garden, 6m platform (complete with naked female headless mannequinn

Its worth a dive but thats about it.

Nearly forgot - entry was either a 3 foot giant stride or a 6 foot one from the one entry point. We used to do this dive on the way back from Dotty. Good site for beginners

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

I love Vivian having spent many a trainig afternoon there - maybe we should organise a YD trip there to help them launch it - anyone fancy liasing with the new owners to see if we can get a free trip with all the publicity we can offer?

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

yep I would be on for that Jay. I did my open water in vivian and it's a sound place for newbie divers, being as it's so small that that you cant get lost!
I want to take bethi there once it reopens so maybe when it does someone can post it here for us???
jules

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

I could atempt to liase with the new owners to try and get a free trip in return for a bit of publicity of the site.  If anyone has any objections then please post here,positive posts are good too lol.

DD

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

A couple of old pics...

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

another

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Vivian is a nice quarry site but is extremely small so if we do a YD trip, I'd not recommend making a special journey just to dive it because you'll be disappointed. That said, I do like the place. Its a bit like Hodge Close only shallower and without the caves but its setting really is spectacular.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dangerous Diver @ Oct. 03 2003,13:00)]I could atempt to liase with the new owners to try and get a free trip in return for a bit of publicity of the site.  If anyone has any objections then please post here,positive posts are good too lol.

DD
go for it! we should passing out the info that it's back in business as it's another dive business that will only be there is if has customers

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Taken from UK diving

"Vivian Diving Centre is opening on Sunday 26th October 2003 at 9am. More details will appear here later next week. "

Shit DaveJ - there goes our free dive !!!!

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

hey there,

no word back from thenew owners as of yet about a YD dive at the sight.

DD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts