YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Diver & Joshua's Daddy.
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering taking a rib to Brid this weekend for a bit of diving, can anyone give us a reliable viz report there at the moment, we are considering either a wreck, but low water slack times are against us on sunday, ie low water 12.30 ish so slack around 13.30, or maybe just taking the rib around North landing / Thornwick bay and spernding the day having a longer dip aroun d there.
Has anyone dived the area this week, I appreciate it was possibly looking resonable, but that was until the weather last weekend.
Any comments on diving in this area very recently would be gratefully recieved.

·
His Holeyness
2,198 Posts
I was told that there was around 3mtrs on the Hornsea Sub last Saturday, so it sounds like it's still a bit murky, as down there would clear first.

You might get a bit better viz going out a bit further, the Ore ship maybe?

With the wind being 'brisk' and southerly, round the head might be the best bet though.

We will, hopefully, be going out on Sunday, even if it's just for a run in the RIB.

ColinM

·
East coast, think I dive there !
1,993 Posts
Why are the tides crap? That's a nice afternoon dive. There was 8-10m on Pilsudski last Sunday so it might be down to about 4-5m. Closer in about 15 miles off in 45m there was 3-4m of viz.

We'll be out this Sunday either from Hornsea or Brid.

·
East coast, think I dive there !
1,993 Posts
If you're talking of boat dives out of VHF range (10 miles plus offshore in a RIB) then you're far enough offshore and deep enough to be only worried about slack.

However, if you're talking about dives close inland (as referred to in the original post, thus my comment) low tide dives are crap because they scour all the shite off the coastline and into the water.

The best times to do any close to shore dives on the east coast around flamborough are high tide when it's not been raining for a couple of weeks and there's been no northerly or easterly winds - thus my post.
But he's not doing a shore dive, he's taking a RIB out to dive a wreck or around the head, He would be better off going off shore for the viz and if your VHF only goes 10 mile I would get the thing sorted pronto. There was an incident out of Hornsea last week were somone came up from 50m missing all there stops. They never had a decent working radio and it cost the guy 3 hours getting to the pot for a spinal bend.

·
diving member
1,996 Posts
Considering taking a rib to Brid this weekend for a bit of diving, can anyone give us a reliable viz report there at the moment, we are considering either a wreck, but low water slack times are against us on sunday, ie low water 12.30 ish so slack around 13.30, or maybe just taking the rib around North landing / Thornwick bay and spernding the day having a longer dip aroun d there.
Has anyone dived the area this week, I appreciate it was possibly looking resonable, but that was until the weather last weekend.
Any comments on diving in this area very recently would be gratefully recieved.
nothing to do with your post - except s/by swopped so I'm in!!!!!

steven

·
Diver & Joshua's Daddy.
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Havnt been at the comp all day, but going by the missing edited posts it appears my original post caused some issues.

My reason for commenting on the times were simple, yes it would make a nice afternoon dive with slack aroung 1.30 / 2.00 but that would probably only mean getting one dive each in, Personally I prefer it when a slack is around mid to late morning, that means a nice early start at the boat compound, early launch to catch a good slack on a wreck, giving plenty of time for a trip around the head for a nice 2nd dive.

Im also sure we are fine with VHS at well over 10 miles, so no issues there either, In fact I believe its insurance that limits are distance from shore before anything else does.

Reason for the trip is a 1st dive of the season out of Brid, was just really interested in reports of very recent viz.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Havnt been at the comp all day, but going by the missing edited posts it appears my original post caused some issues.

My reason for commenting on the times were simple, yes it would make a nice afternoon dive with slack aroung 1.30 / 2.00 but that would probably only mean getting one dive each in, Personally I prefer it when a slack is around mid to late morning, that means a nice early start at the boat compound, early launch to catch a good slack on a wreck, giving plenty of time for a trip around the head for a nice 2nd dive.

Im also sure we are fine with VHS at well over 10 miles, so no issues there either, In fact I believe its insurance that limits are distance from shore before anything else does.

Reason for the trip is a 1st dive of the season out of Brid, was just really interested in reports of very recent viz.
Mark
I would appreciate a viz report if you get out,we are there next Sat.
cheers
Mark

·
Diver & Joshua's Daddy.
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No Problem, A vis report will be posted.

·
Diver & Joshua's Daddy.
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No firm plans yet, was waiting to read vis reports, due to slack time though it has been sugested if viz allows to spend the day around thornwick bay / north landing etc. just getting in maximum dive times really.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
HI.

Low water springs this weekend so viz will probably be reduced on inshore marks or round the head to less than 2 meters on the bottom.

Offshore low water will give you good bottom times, but once again reduced viz but better than inshore marks.

Looking out now Fri 7.00pm the sea has dropped of considerably compared with most of the week, tried to launch at Hornsea on Thursday but there was a big Northerly swell coming in so I binned it, nobody had launched from Hornsea since last Saturday but maybe somebody has launched today.

Consider beyond 15 miles, if you dive Brid or Hornsea area regularly, and you really need 30 mile minimum on your boat insurance, as the good wrecks are beyond 12 miles, and the superb ones are 40 miles offshore! if you can get cover for this distance (Which I have).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts