YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi all, I went to stoney cove yesterday with a mate of mine, we wanted to do a bit of deeper training and couldnt be arsed with wastwater.
Have been to stoney once before (last summer), had 10 meter vis and loved it.

So 250 mile round trip, and when we dove we had maybe 2m of vis, possibly 4-5m at 35m.
Has it got worse since I last dove it or was this just an off day?

I almost swam into the Stanegarth before I could see it!!

What is everyone else's opinion/experience? Is it usually better?

Regards, Stu.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Weird.. this is usually the best time of year for good vis.

Any muppets around stirring up the silt?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>No, place was dead quiet - hence the mid week jaunt.
I was really surprised, Thursday = 4 days settling time since the weekend.

Got there around 11.45, about 25-30 other divers there.

My mate has never been before so he enjoyed it anyway, I think it spoiled me last time tho  

Stu.

G

·
0 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The best vis I have had at Stoney was 10m(ish) by the landrover. However, the same day it was about 3m at the Stanegarth. Most odd.
Not really, as everyone can find the Stanegarth, therefore it gets heavy traffic especially at the weekend with trainees. The Land Rover is a little harder to find and is unbuoyed, therefore gets less "passing trade". This time of year the average viz is about 10m on the 20m area, i have been there recently when you could see the coach from the Stanegarth, about 20m.

wwd

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (warmwaterdiver @ Mar. 12 2004,10:50)]i have been there recently when you could see the coach from the Stanegarth, about 20m.
<font color='#F52887'>Blimey!!!!

have to say it's generally at it's best at the moment due to lower numbers of divers and the algae bloom of the summer is dead.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Looks like shit VIZ has hit all of England ,,,,,,,,,

Andy

<<< thinking how many sea miles and hours to get to Mull >>>

·
Registered
283 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Thursday = 4 days settling time since the weekend
Thats unless it is proceeded by the second Wednesday of the month when they open for night diving. . . .  Lots of people finning all over the place with no real concept of where they are in relation to the bottom !

John

G

·
0 Posts
Imported post

John

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Thats unless it is proceeded by the second Wednesday of the month when they open for night diving
I wouldn't turn up on the second wednesday of the month expecting a nightdive, its the first and third wednesday !

wwd

·
"That's NOT my avatar! It's film of me AFTER I was
528 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#008080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ Mar. 12 2004,10:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (warmwaterdiver @ Mar. 12 2004,10:50)]i have been there recently when you could see the coach from the Stanegarth, about 20m.
Blimey!!!!

have to say it's generally at it's best at the moment due to lower numbers of divers and the algae bloom of the summer is dead.
It was busy on Sat when I was there, loads of trainees. That many infact that on my second dive a trainee descended uncontrolled and arse first and nearly landed on my buddy! Their trainer was about 3m away watching what was going on, not sure what was happening there.

Later on (same dive) we were going shot recovery drills and again my buddy was getting kicked by people; we'd gone past the pub and was in an open space to keep away from folk but the buggers apeared to hunt us out! You'd think three divers grouped together practicing with a conspicous piece of kit would send a message to other people to give a wide birth and not swim into the back of us! I think I need one of those shark repelant devices and crank up the voltage

·
Registered
862 Posts
Imported post

Well i was there on saturday this weekend and suprise surprise it was sh*t vis.

I had a number of trainees from a training agency i won't mention get tangled up in SMB lines, cut me and my buddy up, and decend from nowhere! Why does training in open water have to be in large groups, its not safe in my books, especially in the current water conditions.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

i was also at stoney saturday and couldnt believe the viz?
the water has like a green tinge to it very odd as for a problem wi students!!! i deployed my dsmb from the side of the wessex and started to reel up the cliff i stoped mid-water to start my stop at approx 6 metres and there above me was a student who wanted to take mi dsmb for a ride but fortunatly the instructor who was with the diver had seen the student tangle in my line (im just not sure how someone on the surface can miss a buddy self sealing smb ??isnt the thing big enough)the viz was good at the box though!!hey tiewrap do u drive a fiat car and got a goaty beard if it is i was gunna say hello but was in a rush home
??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts