YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
a stroke of good looks
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else think it could be useful to have a section for viz reports? thinking each area/site could have its own thread, then when someone dives it they can stick a quick post up with dive date & time, viz & water temp, no arguing, no stone throwing and no agency bashing, just actual useful diving information that will benefit divers!

maybe have it as a sub-forum in trips, spaces and coastguard information section?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, why not! If its 6 feet i will go, if it's 6 inches i wont!!!!

At least it will save hours on driving and kittting up!

·
Team HPDW Cake Queen.
3,550 Posts
The thing about vis is everyone always argues about it.

I have heard divers coming up from the same dive saying the vis was 3m, 4m-5m, 8m, and 10m ! We all seem to measure vis differently.

( I expect the 3m divers were following us :) )

I gave up on trying to measure it accurately sub aqua when I discovered I couldn't measure it on land with any degree of success. I am useless at measurements.

I now use a better method underwater than metres. I roughly measure the distance I can see in my car lengths, One Fiesta, 3 Fiestas, 5-6 Fiestas etc.

It's done sod all to help my vis reports but my motorway driving has improved no end.

:D

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
it would be good as an updated table perhaps with the last 3 reports for each wreck. You would only need wreck name, ocation, metres vis, date. That could be built up to something useful rather than a thread that the data just gets lost in or duplicated / hard to read or understand.

Vis data that is more than a couple of days old is probably not useful

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
dont forget good vis/ poor vis is relative and based on how you define it. i define "vis" as where i can make my buddies outline out in the gloom. with a second figue for essentialy what can i spot stuff in.

today on this mornings drift through torbay we had a rather pleasent 4-5 ish meters with easy spotting distance at around 4. which i would consider to be quite good given the usual local conditions. others would consider it to be shit as hell and not worth diving.

then there is the effect of ambient light levels, and plankton in the collum which distorts it.

ive dived, recently, where the first 6 meters was shockingly milky, a meter at best then once under it, from 7-15 it was a little dimpsey but clear with 4ish meters then down to the max of 18 it was a rather nice 5 meters but dark as hell so i was fine with adecent torch others without not so.

so what was the vis? the soupy 1 meter? the dark 5 the majority of dive 4?

also vis data can show a trend. of what to expect on any given site as a rule and in what cnidtions.

·
Muppet
350 Posts
Went diving this morning. Vis was good at the beginning, but then some PADI divers came along and silted the place out :D

What do you mean no agency bashing?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I now use a better method underwater than metres. I roughly measure the distance I can see in my car lengths, One Fiesta, 3 Fiestas, 5-6 Fiestas etc.

It's done sod all to help my vis reports but my motorway driving has improved no end.

:D
Brilliant!! In that case Strangford on Saturday was 1/2 a mondeo :D

·
Should Be Working...
1,427 Posts
Do you put the lights on or leave them off? ;)

I just try and look at my buddies and estimate the number of buddy-lengths as they disappear into the murk trying to lose me. Depending on whether he's normal or a short-arse I estimate the vis from that. 8m at St Abbs on Saturday. Despite the bounciest boatride in months...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts