1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be there in 2 weeks time

Anyone dived out of there recently?

If so, is the viz the normal DARK and "where's my buddy gone?"

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I was in Robin Hoods Bay today, not diving by doing touristy thing.It looked dirty as far as you could see. Its going to be black.

J

·
diving member
1,996 Posts
Will be there in 2 weeks time

Anyone dived out of there recently?

If so, is the viz the normal DARK and "where's my buddy gone?"
seem to remember when we dived there it was said its no good going before August or september and there must be at least 10 days without wind if you want to see anything!!!
but let us have a trip report I'd love to do that sub again!

cheers Steven

·
Registered
311 Posts
The viz at Whitby is reported as 3 metres and still a bit dark.

I dived there a couple of months ago myself and got 2 mtrs viz and bright sunlight at 32 mtrs+, so you just never can tell.

I'll let you know if it changes.

Kev.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The viz at Whitby is reported as 3 metres and still a bit dark.

I dived there a couple of months ago myself and got 2 mtrs viz and bright sunlight at 32 mtrs+, so you just never can tell.

I'll let you know if it changes.

Kev.
Kev,
Mate of mine is into restoring WW2 vehicules, he says that a Lancaster crash landed off Whitby harbour, do you know anything about this?
Apparantly it was only about 300 yrds off the pier but it may have been buried or dredged to peices by now.
His reason for asking is he wants one of the engines:redface:
And before anyone say's anything, all the crew got out and it was on the surface for 20 mins before siniking.
Nick: apologies for the hijack.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Gary,
Why not? its just as cold, salty and dark as any where else:)
I would say that Whitby is normally a bit grim at this time of the year. When other places can be reasonable. Yes all depends on the weather but rain effects Whitby more than other places because of the muck running down the river. I don't think there has been too much rain as yet so hopeing the viz will not be too bad. Hopefully Nick should be ok in Whitby when he goes. And I do hope so cos I should be there too.

Gary

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Kev,
Mate of mine is into restoring WW2 vehicules, he says that a Lancaster crash landed off Whitby harbour, do you know anything about this?
Apparantly it was only about 300 yrds off the pier but it may have been buried or dredged to peices by now.
His reason for asking is he wants one of the engines:redface:
And before anyone say's anything, all the crew got out and it was on the surface for 20 mins before siniking.
Nick: apologies for the hijack.
Thats interesting. I would have thought there were pictures available then.

Gary

·
Registered
311 Posts
June 1942 - Wellington bomber "N for Nuts" ditched about a mile off Whitby after losing her port engine to fire. All crew safely picked up by locals with no injuries.

That's as much as I know about this wreck - got no marks for it but I suppose I could ask around.

If your mate wanted the port engine then he's out of luck!

Kev. :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
June 1942 - Wellington bomber "N for Nuts" ditched about a mile off Whitby after losing her port engine to fire. All crew safely picked up by locals with no injuries.

That's as much as I know about this wreck - got no marks for it but I suppose I could ask around.

If your mate wanted the port engine then he's out of luck!

Kev. :)
V interesting I'll pass it on, oh and Kev - as I'm sure you know:) they've got 2 engines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.