YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A sort of combination between a trip report and DIR training.

As I'm taking the plunge and doing my Fundamentals course in September I've been taking John, Clare's and everyone else's advice and working on the most vital part of my diving - buoyancy control, but I was aware that it needs a LOT of work:embarassed:

Anyway, I jumped at Garf''s offer to meet up at Vobster yesterday, after he and the other TFT members had completed their Tech 1 evaluation. (Congratulations again guys!)

So it was that on an overcast morning I met with Garf and Fiona, who wanted the opportunity to run through some drills and skills following her successful Fundies course a few weeks ago.

The day consisted of three dives and whilst Fi and Garf spent time practicing S-drills and Valve drills my brief was to work on maintaining buoyancy on the edge of the platform. I never knew that metal bars could be so absorbing :D

Over the course of the day there were some lows and some highs, but overall I was chuffed to see an upward trend in my buoyancy control, trim and control of ascents. Yep, it went tits up a few times but Garf has an excellent demeanour and inspired confidence and calmness, even when my head didn't believe what Garf was telling me he was of course right, and once calm had been restored it was good to move on, or indeed up, at a more measured pace.

A demonstration and practice of the Frog-Kick in order to help with trim was really helpful and the totally unexpected sight of Garf steaming towards me with bubbles gushing like a steam train frantically gesturing OUT OF AIR! had the adrenalin rushing! I'm sure the response looked even messsier than it felt, but he, at least he got my long hose donated and had some air! :redface:

It was a great day and I'd like to say a huge thank you to Garf for his time and advice. The dives that we did were a really valuable part of my development as a diver and I shall be spending time practicing the points that we covered yesterday.

It was really good to meet Fiona, we had a great time and it was also brill to see Clare again and to meet Joe Hesketh, who was with Clare and more stages and scooters than you could shake a stick at!

Thanks to all

Gav

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
and Fiona, who wanted the opportunity to run through some drills and skills following her successful Fundies course a few weeks ago.
:eek:mg: Err I actually just wanted to go for a dive :)

Gav said:
The day consisted of three dives and whilst Fi and Garf spent time practicing S-drills and Valve drills .

Gav
Garf has the Patience of a saint, why he wanted a day with us after his previous two days god only knows, but having the opportunity to dive with more experienced divers is invaluable experience.

If you are interested or even just a little bit curious about GUE and taking the fundies route then try and get a dive with some of these guys.

Lovely to meet you Gav, then there was the voice of doom from the waters edge as Clare shouted at me, sorry to me :D the horrors of the month earlier came flooding back.

Also good to see Paul (Odin) again who apparently just wanted to see me dive a quarry - not much else at the moment :D

and just found the problem with my main mask which was continually flooding during the dive :( the part which holds the lens in place had come out at the bottom, so the mask I have had for 10 years gets to see another dive - the Beaver Atomic though is consigned to the bin.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Yeah.. Garfs quite good like that.. :thumbsup:

just be thankful he didn't throw an OOA on you inside any of the attractions.. like he did to me last time we dived together - still I got him back :D

Fi - don't get rid of the atomic - it the best mask around!

Good to read you both didn't get beasted too much by Gareth. He must still be on a high from his T1 pass..

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
If he touched either of you in an inappropriate way during the course of the day - please don't feel you have to live with the shame - just file charges - particularly if he told you "bad things would happen" if you told anyone and it was supposed to be "your little secret"

Reactions: 1693

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sigh.

a good day for everyone I think, as it was a nice relaxing end to the week for myself as well, so cheers guys, do drop me a line if you want to meet up again

G
From my perspective, any time you feel you want to. I'm keen to practice so I'll leave it in your court :wink:

Cheers

Gav

1 - 9 of 9 Posts