YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Has anybody had any dealings with voice over IP. If so can you tell me the pro's and con's please and what your recommendations would be.

Regards

Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,885 Posts
andy_chesney said:
Hi all

Has anybody had any dealings with voice over IP. If so can you tell me the pro's and con's please and what your recommendations would be.

Regards

Andy
Do you mean in an office environment? If so we have got rid off our Meridian system and now full on VOIP. If you need any further info let me know and I will try to help out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JAG said:
Do you mean in an office environment? If so we have got rid off our Meridian system and now full on VOIP. If you need any further info let me know and I will try to help out.
Yes sorry it will be for about 1 line with 8 extensions.
 

·
Mark W
Joined
·
4,887 Posts
I can recommend Mitel's VOIP PBX. 3100's expandable and abut £1k-ish for the basic setup. Includes Voicemail out of the box. Unit is a 2U rack mounted unix box essentially.

Uses Power over Ethernet to power the handsets and you can dump your PC's into the ethernet port on the back of the phone to save cabling.

I was sceptical until I got our Dallas office done - 130 covers with minimal hassle and easily upgradable.

Mark.
 

·
Brittlestar Galactica
Joined
·
419 Posts
If you want to have a chat about VOIP give Jason a call on 08707 430999, he's our technical director at work.

We sell VOIP solutions based on Linux and will be able to answer any questions you may have. Just say Rob told you to give him a ring.

If we can't supply what we need we can certainly put you in touch with someone that can as well.

Our boxes also do a lot more then just a PBX. There also have a firewall, mail server, proxy server, ftp server + other things as well.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Mark W
Joined
·
4,887 Posts
desertrat said:
Our boxes also do a lot more then just a PBX. There also have a firewall, mail server, proxy server, ftp server + other things as well.
Eek (grimaces) eggs in one basket comes to mind.

If someone does a DOS or mail loop on your mail server (which I've seen more times than I care to remember) the last thing you want is your phone system being knocked out too! Not only can customers not place orders online, or e-mail you, but they can't call you either!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,885 Posts
For the requirements you mentioned in your PM..

1 X BT isdn 10 channels quarterly rental charge ?

1 X 2600 Cisco router with IPT capabilites circa £3500

number of Cisco ip phones @ £150 each
 

·
Brittlestar Galactica
Joined
·
419 Posts
Bantam said:
Eek (grimaces) eggs in one basket comes to mind.

If someone does a DOS or mail loop on your mail server (which I've seen more times than I care to remember) the last thing you want is your phone system being knocked out too! Not only can customers not place orders online, or e-mail you, but they can't call you either!

I never said you had to use all the features, there just there if you do. Without knowing the details of the company I wouldn't know what to recomend or exactly how to configure the solution.

The above aside we have loads of these boxes out there with customers already (not all running PBX software) and have never suffered from a DOS attack that I know of. Configure your mail server correctly and its difficult for intruders to saturate your connection.

Most small companies don't have the luxury of being able to spend thousands on a VOIP PBX with separate internet connections just for voice traffic, perimeter firewalls, front end and back end mail servers etc. (although if this is what a company wanted then thats what we'd supply).

You can now also get ADSL services that prioritise VOIP traffic which would help prevent a DOS attack making you un-contactable.

Sorry if this post sounds overly defensive but we've spent lots of time looking at various solutions for different sizes of business. With the limited info available I suggested a solution that may or may not fit the bill but would be a lot cheaper then a dedicated VOIP pbx.

At any rate I'll send some info over to Andy and if he wants we can have a better look at his requirments. :)
 

·
Dude
Joined
·
514 Posts
Bantam said:
I can recommend Mitel's VOIP PBX. 3100's expandable and abut £1k-ish for the basic setup. Includes Voicemail out of the box. Unit is a 2U rack mounted unix box essentially.

Uses Power over Ethernet to power the handsets and you can dump your PC's into the ethernet port on the back of the phone to save cabling.

I was sceptical until I got our Dallas office done - 130 covers with minimal hassle and easily upgradable.
Sounds interesting. Has anyone used VOIP for 1000+ extensions? What suppliers should I be looking at. The Ericsson MX-ONE PBX currently only does H323 not SIP. Does this Mitel do SIP?

Andy
 

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
Joined
·
3,628 Posts
Not sure thats right Andy... that sounds like an old roadmap. I'll have a ferret.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,240 Posts
wreckweasel said:
Not sure thats right Andy... that sounds like an old roadmap. I'll have a ferret.
I would hope so - any decent system should be able to offer both SIP and H.323 and SIP to H.323 conversion.
 

·
Dude
Joined
·
514 Posts
wreckweasel said:
Not sure thats right Andy... that sounds like an old roadmap. I'll have a ferret.
Well, its what the Ericsson technical consultant told me at a meeting two weeks ago. I said I was amazed MX-ONE didnt support SIP and that they were not a contender until it did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Like everything it needs to be done right. I would challenge the one line link for data and voice traffic though, looks good as a cost saving, but not ideal in practice. Run a large file transfer and watch the small pipes such as a our cross-site links get saturated, so the phones go down between sites! May well be our (poor) implementation of course. I still think it is great stuff, just not going to solve world hunger today, as so many new technologies claim.

For small scale, use Skype, it just works! The conference facility is the mutts nuts in particular.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
Can we start by clearing up the confusion; Voice over IP is the encapsulation of voice traffic across an IP Wide Area Network. IP Telephony is the provision of desktop voice services via an IP based local infrastructure.

Sounds interesting. Has anyone used VOIP for 1000+ extensions? What suppliers should I be looking at. The Ericsson MX-ONE PBX currently only does H323 not SIP. Does this Mitel do SIP?
I typically get involved with large scale projects (typically 5000-20000 handsets across hundreds of locations) but for anything over 1000 handsets I would only consider Cisco or Avaya as they are proven to scale. Don’t worry too much about SIP at this point in time as all the major players will have a SIP upgrade to their technology when it’s matured a little.

Like everything it needs to be done right. I would challenge the one line link for data and voice traffic though, looks good as a cost saving, but not ideal in practice. Run a large file transfer and watch the small pipes such as a our cross-site links get saturated, so the phones go down between sites!
Sorry but that’s just not correct. For VoIP implementations you must select a WAN provider that can offer a IP VPN solution that uses Class of Service. This allows the prioritisation of voice and video traffic over all other traffic. Typically things like e-mail and FTP traffic will be given the lowest priority so running a large FTP will not impact voice or even business critical app’s like SAP.

Skype is great for free voice calls from home but using the Internet for business class voice communications is not an option.


John
 

·
Mark W
Joined
·
4,887 Posts
Gas Muncher said:
I typically get involved with large scale projects (typically 5000-20000 handsets across hundreds of locations) but for anything over 1000 handsets I would only consider Cisco or Avaya as they are proven to scale. Don’t worry too much about SIP at this point in time as all the major players will have a SIP upgrade to their technology when it’s matured a little.
Seconded. Up to 1000 I'd recommend Mitel 3300 (the 3100 is for less than 100 covers, the 3300 is expandable to, well, 4 or 5000. )

Over 750 I'd recommend Avaya. Their kit is gooooooood.

I wouldn't recommend Cisco ever, only because they're an absolute bitch to manage and cost loads more than the competition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
Bantam said:
Seconded. Up to 1000 I'd recommend Mitel 3300 (the 3100 is for less than 100 covers, the 3300 is expandable to, well, 4 or 5000. )

Over 750 I'd recommend Avaya. Their kit is gooooooood.

I wouldn't recommend Cisco ever, only because they're an absolute bitch to manage and cost loads more than the competition.
CISCO switches cost more but are very good. I have worked with them for the last 14 years and have found them very reliable.

We used a NORTEL CS2K which was speced to "call manage" 80 000 extensions. On top of a CISCO switch fabric. They do smaller switches too.
 

·
Presenter - info on scuba diving dot com
Joined
·
536 Posts
Two products which are very good -

1 Pulver Communicator from www.pulver.com - free and has good quality video - audio conference available

2 Ineen - from www.ineen.com - also free and is a cut down of a full product which I have been part of the beta testing for - ineen gives good audio quality and restricted, but good video quality and you can video conference too - subject to your own bandwidth limitations

Eyebeam is the full product version of Ineen and has increased specifications with stunning video and audio quality - audio is wb speex, and video capable of CIF 512k - also you can use this product as an interface for IP to Phone calling - which I also use to phone the States etc for a fraction of the price of a normal phone call - and have hands free with no echo!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top