YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain to me how the "Diver on the line" indicator works.

The way I understand it is I have 2 choices on the way I do my deco-stops, on the move or I can remain stationary at the stop point.

If for example it is indiacating a 6 min stop at 6m, then I can accend to that level and stop there for 6 mins.

OR - If the diver on the line appears on my screen, then just simply keep accending making sure I remain half way up the line, doing my deco on the move??

Any advice please.

John

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
This is my understanding of how it works too.
Mine too, but never tried following the diver on the line. Just out of interest why would you follow the diver on the line instead of following "traditional" deco stops? Spending half hour or so constantly watching the computer seems a bit crap when you can ascend, stop, relax etc.. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jag

I agree with you, so why have they created this feature?

Does it result in a better deco by accending slowly rather than a square profile?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Jag

I agree with you, so why have they created this feature?

Does it result in a better deco by accending slowly rather than a square profile?

It allows you to push the gradient and speed up the deco. Stopping half way up the line is not the idea. Ascend till the diver is in the box. Then lets say you have a 5min stop, after two mins you will see the diver has slid down the line so you can ascend again keeping the diver in the box. Stay in / below the box and you wont bend the VR3

This maxes the gradient and shortens the deco. I think it was for divers who liked the idea of "flying the curve" which was an oh so popular buz phrase about 5 years ago.

I have tried it a few times and its OK. It works well with big (for me) deco times. So well over an hour, when the deep stops are significantly longer.
If the deco is lass than an hour it wouldn't be worth it IMHO.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks mark.

The VR3 I have just bought is on firmware 2007V. One of the new features is the option to put it in Q-Mode. This simplifies the dive screen a little by removing the Diver on the Line and making the graphics a little larger.

I prefer to stay fixed at my deco stops rather than keep moving so the DOTL is of no real use to me at the moment.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had it explained to me by the VR3 people that when at 6 metres it made no difference if you ascended to 3 metres which is what the diver on the line will let you do as that was the optimum depth for completing an ascent

·
15,343 Posts
Had it explained to me by the VR3 people that when at 6 meters it made no difference if you ascended to 3 meters which is what the diver on the line will let you do as that was the optimum depth for completing an ascent
They haven't explained this to you very well.

The diver on the line works at any stop depth not just 6m. Also you can set the VR3s last stop depth at 6m 4.5m or 3m.

Most use 6m in the UK because its generally to rough to be any shallower than 6m and its easier to maintain a steady depth at 6 than at 3m.

If your doing deco and not a safety stop then you really do have to do the 6m stop. When it clears and tells you to go to 3m (if thats how you have it set) you can go up or stay at 6, Your choice. Between 6m and 3m there is a massive 30% growth in bubble size. This would bend most divers if they missed any significant 6m stops

As an example 60mins at 60m would give you 24min @6m and 47min @ 3m. (Running 18/45 50 and 100%) If you blew off the 24mins @ 6 and went straight to 3m you would be asking for trouble.

ATB

Mark Chase

Reactions: thehappychappy

·
Banned
402 Posts
Thanks mark.

The VR3 I have just bought is on firmware 2007V. One of the new features is the option to put it in Q-Mode. This simplifies the dive screen a little by removing the Diver on the Line and making the graphics a little larger.

I prefer to stay fixed at my deco stops rather than keep moving so the DOTL is of no real use to me at the moment.

Thanks

Thats the bigger graphics function isn't it. Using this also means you will lose the time to surface readout!

·
Bashing head against brick wall
2,105 Posts
No. See point (f)

Key features of Q mode
a) The main dry screen displays a list of the enabled gases with their maximum operating depths (MOD)
b) No Fly time is displayed in the top left-hand corner of the dry screen
c) Battery voltage is displayed in the top centre of the dry screen
d) Surface interval is displayed in the top right-hand corner of the dry screen
e) Depth and time are displayed permanently in big graphics mode during the dive
f) Max depth, time to surface (TTS) and Deco information are displayed on the right- hand side of the display
g) Average depth is displayed in the second divescreen.

The software upgrade is worth having and Delata P did me a deal when I pointed out I'd only upgraded in January to version 5. For the CC lads and lasses it does a useful bail out to OC, something I believe has been requested for some time.

·
Registered
517 Posts
No. See point (f)

Key features of Q mode
a) The main dry screen displays a list of the enabled gases with their maximum operating depths (MOD)
b) No Fly time is displayed in the top left-hand corner of the dry screen
c) Battery voltage is displayed in the top centre of the dry screen
d) Surface interval is displayed in the top right-hand corner of the dry screen
e) Depth and time are displayed permanently in big graphics mode during the dive
f) Max depth, time to surface (TTS) and Deco information are displayed on the right- hand side of the display
g) Average depth is displayed in the second divescreen.

The software upgrade is worth having and Delata P did me a deal when I pointed out I'd only upgraded in January to version 5. For the CC lads and lasses it does a useful bail out to OC, something I believe has been requested for some time.
I got it on my new VR3 except the 'X' part of the Qstart mode isn't there, apparently DeltaP forgot to turn it on ????? :confused:. Quality control., what's that then? Maybe they knew I'm not an expert.

VR3 Dive computer

Simon

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Came with the latest firmware 2007V which was released about 4 weeks ago.
I got mine back 3 weeks ago upgraded to 5.0.something after major repair- bummer. :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Simon

That's interesting because mine is the same, has Delta P confirmed the reason to you?

Mine is a OC Tx version, I assumed the Expert Mode was not available to me because it is not CC and does not have the screen saver option installed.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi Simon

That's interesting because mine is the same, has Delta P confirmed the reason to you?

Mine is a OC Tx version, I assumed the Expert Mode was not available to me because it is not CC and does not have the screen saver option installed.
Got mine from Divelife its a CC trimix spectrum, I spoke to John and Brett who called DeltaP. They said the 'X' part hadn't been switched on and return the computer for reprogramming.

To be absolutely clear. Every 2007v VR3 should have the Qstart N, X and Q modes.

Suggest you start by talking to whoever you got the unit from, your 'contract' is with them. If you have no joy go to DeltaP direct.

Simon

·
Registered
29 Posts
The interesting thing is that this can't possibly really be a "continuous decompression" indicator, even though that's what their manual calls it.

The underlying maths for decompression is such that we would be best off slowly and continually ascending. This is what Mark called "flying the curve".

But on the VR3, what will happen is that when you're deep,you'll get to a stop, and when you're done at a stop, the "man on a line" will disappear until you've ascended quite a bit. If it was REALLY working as a continuous ascent indicator, it wouldn't disappear if you were at or above the midway point. But on deep stops it always disappears once that stop is up.

The only time I've really seen it work to give you something like a continuous ascent profile is on shallower stops.

Do the VR3 people ever come online here? Perhaps they could tell us what they mean by "continuous decompression". One possibility is that this is sort of a half-arsed attempt at continuous deco, where VR3 thought divers were irritated if they got asked to keep moving all the time at deeper depths, so it's really more like conventional staged deco at depth, and continuous deco at shallower stops. The other possible reason might be related to the fact that that the VR3's deep stops have always been somewhat weird, with little explanation given anywhere as to how they came up with them. So since the deep stops are not really computed according to the Buhlmann algorithm, the deep stops may be stationary at the arbitrary depths they kick in, and then when we get shallower where the computer really does start following a Buhlmann profile, the man suddenly truly does allow for continuous deco.

I wish they'd truly make it continuous deco. or at least offer an option for it to be continuous. Oops - now Iv'e just given them the incentive to offer me another $200 " upgrade"!!

·
Registered
517 Posts

The other possible reason might be related to the fact that that the VR3's deep stops have always been somewhat weird, with little explanation given anywhere as to how they came up with them. So since the deep stops are not really computed according to the Buhlmann algorithm, the deep stops may be stationary at the arbitrary depths they kick in, and then when we get shallower where the computer really does start following a Buhlmann profile, the man suddenly truly does allow for continuous deco.

quote]

I belive this is the reason. The deep stops are basicaly Pyle stops, chosen by some simple maths based on bottom depth and first deco stop (and non the worse for that).

I suspect that the upgrade you are after already exists, its called VPM!!

Simon

·
15,343 Posts
The interesting thing is that this can't possibly really be a "continuous decompression" indicator, even though that's what their manual calls it.

The underlying maths for decompression is such that we would be best off slowly and continually ascending. This is what Mark called "flying the curve".

But on the VR3, what will happen is that when you're deep,you'll get to a stop, and when you're done at a stop, the "man on a line" will disappear until you've ascended quite a bit. If it was REALLY working as a continuous ascent indicator, it wouldn't disappear if you were at or above the midway point. But on deep stops it always disappears once that stop is up.

The only time I've really seen it work to give you something like a continuous ascent profile is on shallower stops.

Do the VR3 people ever come online here? Perhaps they could tell us what they mean by "continuous decompression". One possibility is that this is sort of a half-arsed attempt at continuous deco, where VR3 thought divers were irritated if they got asked to keep moving all the time at deeper depths, so it's really more like conventional staged deco at depth, and continuous deco at shallower stops. The other possible reason might be related to the fact that that the VR3's deep stops have always been somewhat weird, with little explanation given anywhere as to how they came up with them. So since the deep stops are not really computed according to the Buhlmann algorithm, the deep stops may be stationary at the arbitrary depths they kick in, and then when we get shallower where the computer really does start following a Buhlmann profile, the man suddenly truly does allow for continuous deco.

I wish they'd truly make it continuous deco. or at least offer an option for it to be continuous. Oops - now Iv'e just given them the incentive to offer me another $200 " upgrade"!!

Ish...

You ascend and as your nearing your decompression ceiling the man appears and you follow him into the box. On a short stop he will quickly disappear, as you say not reappearing until you approach your next decompression ceiling. This is why on short deco its olny aparent on the longer shalow stops. On a bigger dive its apparent a lot earlier.

On longer stops you will see the man sliding back down the rope whilst your on the stop and you can go up keeping him in the box.

So if you have 10mins at 21m after three mins you can probably start to ascend without violating the stop on the VR3. If you use it in this way the man on the rope will stay there and you can follow up on the deco ceiling.

If however you clear the stop the man will disappear.

This realy only becomes apparent when you run long deco. Having in the past done a dive with a 20min bottom time and 160mins of deco and a fair few dives with something like a 40min bottom time with 80 - 120mins of deco, I have had a chance to play with it. If you have the usual two min deep stops and a 40min total its hardly noticable.

To be honest, to me its just entertainment during deco, I never really considered it a big plus or minus for the unit.

ATB

Mark Chase

1 - 20 of 22 Posts