YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used my new vr3 for the first time yesterday, (am going ccr so thought id splash out!), used it as oc nitrox 32, at the same time i wore my vytec ds. The no stop time on the vr3 was at least 10 minuites less than the vytec which i found suprising! I know it runs on different tables to the vytec but so do a lot of other computers and they are almost on par with each other. Is it down to the deep stops that the vr3 puts in, or am i being a right muppet and missing something plainly obvious:embarassed:

Paul

·
Registered
411 Posts
Used my new vr3 for the first time yesterday, (am going ccr so thought id splash out!), used it as oc nitrox 32, at the same time i wore my vytec ds. The no stop time on the vr3 was at least 10 minuites less than the vytec which i found suprising! I know it runs on different tables to the vytec but so do a lot of other computers and they are almost on par with each other. Is it down to the deep stops that the vr3 puts in, or am i being a right muppet and missing something plainly obvious:embarassed:

Paul
You are being a muppet

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont worry about it, I have come across enough negative attitude since diving and being a muppet. Ill seek information from someplace more grown up!

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
You are being a muppet
Bit harsh without substantiation.

Paul
Can't you set the conservative levels of the VR3 and the DS independently? So unless you can find out which level matches the other's, you are on a hiding to nothing.

Nice to see you dived with something that you knew worked rather than jump in with the VR3 for the first time :D

Might be worth making a post to find out what others dive their VR3s and find the closest to 'your' factors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got the vr3 on 0 setting, no other gasses switched on, ds on rgbm100, both on the same mix, just looking for a bit of straight info.

·
Ex-Member
2,180 Posts
You use a VR3 for no-stop diving? Why bother....

I personally think is a pointless feature on the VR3 :)

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
I don't use a computer, only a depth gauge, but what does VR3 - 0, and DS 100rgbm eqaute to in normal gradient factors?

I know that Mark Chase has had experience of pretty much dive computer out there (finally made his mind up on something now!) so might be worth dropping him a line! Otherwise maybe someone else can help.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
You use a VR3 for no-stop diving? Why bother....

I personally think is a pointless feature on the VR3 :)
No stop - not a bad way to start learning how to use it. Then progress on to deco, then gas changes.

Then start again on CCR? :)

Adrian

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I don't use a computer, only a depth gauge, but what does VR3 - 0, and DS 100rgbm equate to in normal gradient factors?

I know that Mark Chase has had experience of pretty much dive computer out there (finally made his mind up on something now!) so might be worth dropping him a line! Otherwise maybe someone else can help.
Until the next one comes along :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got no problem with deco, is indeed one of the factors that convinced me to go for the vr3, that and the ccr option. The no stop time is an observation more than anything else. The vr3 is the only computer you will ever need, not the only computer you will ever need only if you are planning deco. My angle is this: is my vr3 suitable for all levels of diving, so i can sell my vytec, or do i keep my vytec for no stop dives with all levels of diver?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I don't use a computer, only a depth gauge, but what does VR3 - 0, and DS 100rgbm eqaute to in normal gradient factors?
If you set the VR3 to 0 conservatism you won't be too far from a 20/80 GF profile, you will maybe slightly deeper on first stop.

Steve

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

Paul

Paul, no your not being a muppet and your not really missing the obvious.

What you are doing is comparing an apple with a banana.

On your Suunto your no stop time is important. The VR3 doesnt work the same way. Its a deco computer so thats what its looking at. On no stop times it looks conservative until you add additional gases etc. Thats when you will see the benefit.

On the VR3 the important thing is the tts readout or Time to Surface. This factors in your deep stops, deco stops etc. If you stuck to no or minimum deco on your dive you will probably have found that the VR3 will allow you to go straight to the surface whilst the Suunto is demanding a safety stop.

Your doing a sensible thing comparing the two to see how they work. I jumped straight in on a 45M dive with mine a couple of days after I bought it. It scared the life out of me as I didnt really know what it was showing me and a deepish dive with a load of deco to do is not the best time to work it out.!!

Now thats mupperty of the highest order. :embarassed:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
got the vr3 on 0 setting, no other gasses switched on, ds on rgbm100, both on the same mix, just looking for a bit of straight info.
Let's try and give you some constructive info.

Assume zero conservatism on your VR3:

You will find that the VR3 goes into deco before the Suunto. However the VR3 doesn't then rack up an enormous amount of deco stops, but will give you deep stops. Whereas the Suunto will take some time to go into deco but then will penalise you heavily if you stay at your bottom depth and doesn't give you you a deco stop profile, but instead gives you your ceiling.

Hope some of this makes sense. PM me if you need more info.

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for that sensible reply! I did get the vytec for the gas switching it gives, but never was that happy with it. Just with going from oc to ccr I am looking at clearing out a lot of the kit I seem to have ended up with. Just going to keep a basic set of oc gear for club teaching with. Twinset and wings up for sale soonest!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Makes perfect sense, cheers Steve. I do plan on diving all levels with the vr3, (at that price I am showering in it). Ill run both the vytec and vr3 side by side for a while on no stop and multiple gas deco dives to see the difference.

·
Ex-Member
2,180 Posts
Just to clarify my earlier remarks, nothing wrong doing no-stop dives on VR3, I've done it myself. On my VR3 when it had v2 software installed, there wasn't a no-stop option on the menu, it just gave the no stop on the dive (-ve number). The no-stop menu appeared on a v3 upgrade when I had a screen replaced, i always felt it wasn't necessary. Bit like the altitude screen :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts