YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Going down on twins
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had a string of faults with my VR3 and would like to know if anyone else has had anything similar happen.

Took my VR3 out of its box on Thursday, went to turn it on and it started up with the set PO2 screen (but very faded) then turned itself off.

Figuring it was a flat battery, although the battery was at 3.4V two months ago, I swapped the battery, turned it on and reset the date. It went through the normal start up screen OK.

On friday I turned it on to calibrate it to find it was saying I had missed stops!!! (must have had a particularly deep bath the night before).

This morning (sat) I turned it on and all was well, until I hit the water.

A couple of minutes into the dive it turned itself off, then on but during this process had switched from CCR to OC. I switched it back to CCR where it told me my P02 was 2.0 and my %CNS was 250. Luckily I was running a no stop square profile run time so the computer wasn't essential. It kept on turning itself of and on throughout the dive. The longest time between resets was 45mins.

During the surface interval I went through all the screens and everything appeared to be OK except that it had reset the date to 1996.

During the second dive it performed for the first two mintues and then switched itself off / on again.

The only thing different now to when I was using the computer regularly at the back end of last year is it has a new P02 lead (into the KISS kidney) and has been serviced and upgraded to V3.03.

Has anyone else had these kinds of problems? Could the addition of the external P02 lead by causing this to happen. I didin't have any problems when it wasn't plugged into the unit and was just running an assumed P02.

My plan is to take the battery out for a couple of hours and then reset everything and see how it performs in the water next weekend. It its still [email protected] then its off back to Delta P.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Personally, I'd send it back to Delta P now. It's probably to do with the upgrade, seems like the biggest variable. I wouldn't want to dive a unit which had problems the week before without knowing what it was caused it. And I don't know if anyone other than Delta P could sort that.

I managed to reset one by accident changing the battery, and lost some logged dives and time and date settings. But it did manage to find some dives from the time and date settings it went back to. A bit like a VR Time Machine (TM). Sorted once I reset the date.

Good to see you guys today. The big tins on the unit worked really well, so despite being 2 inches shorter from spine compression, I think I have sorted the unit :) Yay!

Digs.

·
Going down on twins
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Digs,

Was good to see you. I was going to stick around and see the almighty assortment of tins but we needed to get back and I was less than happy about the VR3 thing.

Still if things didn't break we'd be able to dive and have fun and I'm not sure if I could handle that...

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
It's not the done thing. Rrebreathers are the maximum amount of faff for the minimum amount of diving. Those are the rules. But they are a thing of beauty when they work right. I just made some changes to mine which I'm really looking forward to testing.

Let me know if you're dropping in again soon, would be good to see you guys with your new(ish) units. Plus I'm going to need some help carrying tanks on the next few dives. Time to find some more helpers I think.

Digs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts