YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Did my first dive with the VR3 today. We did 2 dives on the Zenobia both to 40m & both with about 20-25mins deco. I ran the VR3 alongside my Stinger for comparison. The first dive there wasn't much difference apart from the microbubble stops but on the 2nd i still had 25mins deco left on my Stinger when the VR3 had cleared. I had VR3's the safety factor at 0 & was wondering how other people dived it. I know the Stinger is conservative but 25mins seems alot to miss.
Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hi Rob, dived mine today for first time aswell. I have it set to 20% safety on advice of instructor. I was only playing so no deco or deco gasses yet but cant wait to give it a proper run out.

Still trying to work out how to activate the deco gasses, the manual is not the best

Great bit of kit and very shiny

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

rob,
dont knock it,less deco!
i would think a lot of the extra deco from the stinger is added as you do your vr3 deep stops.
the adjustments are a personnel call, i use 0 for safe and 3mt last stop depth.
cheers
barrie

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Hi Rob,
jammy git!  Diving the Zen while we're freezing our nads off over here

I had the same problem diving the Stinger/Nexus combo on air a while ago - over a series of repetetive dives the Nexus would clear during ascent to the Stinger's first stop & the bleedin Stinger would have 20mins to go.  Discretion being the better part of valour, I'd do the full Stinger stops much to the disgust of my Nexus only buddy.  The Stinger only counts down your deco time when you hit your 'ceiling', whereas Nexus/VR3 are more flexible in terms of deep stops.

The Stinger is inherently more conservative than the VR3 on 0%, especially on repetitive dives.  It's a judgement call whether you want to run the VR3 on 0%.  I've always had mine on 0 (also the Nexus) and never had a problem, however individual physiologies vary, so there's definitely no harm in nudging the safety up if it'll make you feel more comfortable.

HTH
Rob
PS the manual's still a bag o' shite then?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Imported post

Lots of new toys for Christmas then!
I use mine with the safety set to at least 20%, more if I'm diving where there might be a delay getting to a chamber or where the water is pleasantly warm and clear.
If you're bored you could try running a couple of plans on the VR3 with different settings and compare them with other software.
Rgds

Robert

·
Registered
64 Posts
Imported post

10% in UK water.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I have my one set to 0% as bail out and I pad the stops as I feel bassed on my manual tables. I have bailed on the VR3 dooing the minimum stops requested in winter UK conditions without bending or feeling worse for the event but that is only on dives of 45-60m

I dived it to 102m yesterday set on 0% and I padded the 18,15,12,9m stops and this reduced the 6m hang from 49min down to 35min. Then I cleared the computer and took 10mins to ascend from 6m. I got out leaping somersalts and grinning like a cheshire cat so I dont think I was subclinical

Water temp was 15 at the bottom and 22 on deco above 12m. This was a 4 gas switch dive with 3 10ltr stages and twin back gas 13/65 requiring a travel gas switch so quite heavy task loading but conditions were very easy.  

I spoke to Kevin Gurr about the VR3 and he sugested 10% in the UK and 0% in the blue stuff for a diver who understands the limitations of his body and dosent have an unusualy low tolerance to bends. That said if you run the two profiles you are only looking at a few mins here and there so manual padding and a slow ascent from 6 will cover the 10% setting no problem.

You will love the VR3 doing shore dives and multy level stuff. We manualy planned a 80m dive from the Bells at the Blue Hole Dahab and it proved very dificult to run the plan. In the end we ran the VR3 and saved about 30mins of deco. On the 102m dive we saved 18mins on the manual tables but that dive ran much more to plan than the 80m.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

mark,
what part of the planet was at those temperatures yesterday.
sounds good,how much did you pad your stops?
cheers
barrie

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Red Sea out of Dahab. The dive was the Arch at the Blue hole. I will do a full report in the recent trip reports tomorow including gas and deco breakdown.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
4 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>I prefer to use mine with the safety factor set to at 10%, that's for Irish waters. If and when I get to go somewhere nice and warm 20%. There could be some delays in getting me to a chamber.
Try running a simulations of dive plans on the VR3 with different settings for each and see what happens, youmight be pleasently surprised.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts