YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

You know, it wasn't until I read Dive yesterday that I learned there is ALSO a VR2 made by Delta P. You never seem to hear about this one being used - is it new and named retrospectively or something?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Brand spanking new - not sure if it's out yet.  Word is it's a cut down, more affordable version of the VR3 for people who don't desperately need 10 on-board gases

·
Registered
3 Posts
Imported post

I believe the VR2 is Nitrox only (0-99%) whilst the VR3 does Trimix also.

I have also heard that you can buy the old model cheaply (one with large icons) as the ones sent in for discount when upgrading to the new model have been refurbished.

Anyone heard anymore as the older version lacks the functionality but seemed far easier to use?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Have a look at
http://www.vr3.co.uk/vr2.htm

As for the Mk1 VR3 - dunno really.  Got a mate who had one, it was a big old slab that ate batteries, seldom worked and performed best as a paperweight in his opinion.
Not sure if it's worth the agg for Delta P to go to the trouble to refurb them when they're selling the new VR3s by the truckload.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Thanks for the heads up Ian. Will take a look now

Rob which version of the VR3 do you recommend as a cost efective S/H buy?

How do I identifie the diferent models?

Mark Chase

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Checked it out looks like a Mk1 slab to me

The serch goes on

Mark Chase

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

The MK1 VR3 from a few yrs ago is the one I was talking about - huge great lump.  Any of the current model VR3s (the one that everybody on the boats seem to have nowadays) will be fine - the latest latest ones have some newer software with some extra goodies, but you can send  existing ones off to Delta P to have the software upgraded for v. little cash. Haven't bothered - mine works fine.  If they bring out a mod with GF algorithms I'll be straight down there, but that isn't likely to happen.

The VR2 looks about the same size, maybe slightly smaller. Don't know how much it costs, but it should be quite a bit less than the VR3 - I'd take one over a Vytek any day though.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

According to the write up in dive this month, they are priced from £499-£725 (if memory serves). They come in two coours -sparkly purple or grey, have no games (as yet) and are upgradeable to work with RBs. Maximum of four mixes of nitrox only.
Definitely on my christmas list!
HTH
Martin

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

This from the website VR3 etc..

VR2 - The new VR2 air/nitrox dive computer

Delta P is pleased to announce the release of it’s latest generation of dive computer……the VR2!

The VR2 is based on our proven VR3 technology, the worlds first re-programmable mixed gas dive computer.

The unit comes as an open circuit air and nitrox, four gas computer as standard. It has an option to be upgraded to include analyser functionality and semi-closed/closed circuit rebreather modes. Both rebreather modes allow external oxygen sensor monitoring.
EDD700
The VR2 has many of the VR3’s functions including a new ‘gauge mode’ to allow it to be used as a depth-timer.

The VR2 interfaces with our popular ‘Prolog’ dive logging software .

Basic features include;

• 4 gases, changeable above and below the water
• 1.5v AA alkaline or lithium battery, user replaceable
• Electronic backlighting
• Infra red and wired PC interfaces
• Fully re-programmable
• Logbook with PC interface
• Diveplan mode to allow backup tables to be calculated
• On board training simulator
• Rebreather interfaces available    

It seem to be very new

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

£499 buys you the open circuit version, which is a lot of dollar when the OC VR3 can be got for £125 more. I'd shop around for a S/H VR3, then you've got the option of going to trimix should you ever decide to go that way.
If the basic VR2 was £399 it would be a really good buy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts