YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I want to plan a series of dives in Wales (launching from Dale) I want to dive the DAKOTIAN for 1 dive (18m) is there any suggestions for other dives around the area? another dive on the list is the Lucy, but Idealy the sea bad depths should be around 30m. There seems to be a shortage of good dive books for the area too, any recommendations?

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

John

Have a chat with Dai and Amanda Love for advice. I have done the Lucy and a couple of others, Dakotin IIRC, in the Haven. Avoid the landing craft - it is upside down and very boring - scraping the barrel with that one.

Dai and Amanda have some bunk rooms behind the shop and sometime parking space for ribs. They also have a very nicely appointed 3 room flat in Littlehaven, and a cottage next door to the shop. I've stayed in the flat, much better for the non diving among us.

With regard to books, the only one I have seen was a home printed one - more of a list. We did not rate it highly.  Dive in2 Pembrokeshire who run dive boats have a fair listing.

Adrian

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>the ANGUS, the REEVE & the ANGLESEYDIVER       I don't know what the dives are like , BUT here they are COMMON popular WRECKS

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I must point out that "ANGLESEYDIVER" is a Protected Wreck.
Licences to dive are only available to female divers  
and Ewes  

·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Feb. 01 2004,14:21)]John

Have a chat with Dai and Amanda Love for advice. I have done the Lucy and a couple of others, Dakotin IIRC, in the Haven. Avoid the landing craft - it is upside down and very boring - scraping the barrel with that one.

Dai and Amanda have some bunk rooms behind the shop and sometime parking space for ribs. They also have a very nicely appointed 3 room flat in Littlehaven, and a cottage next door to the shop. I've stayed in the flat, much better for the non diving among us.

With regard to books, the only one I have seen was a home printed one - more of a list. We did not rate it highly.  Dive in2 Pembrokeshire who run dive boats have a fair listing.

Adrian
<font color='#F52887'>Cheers mate, I know Dai and Amanda well and have stayed in the cottage a number of times. also have been in touch with Brian Dilly as he has contacts for a few goo hardboats I have been on in the past.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>When we take our club RIB down we always launch from Dale and if we cant get round and through Jack Sound then we do the Behar as well as the Dakotian.  Oh, happy memoiries I did my Advanced Diver air share from 18m on the Dakotian.  
 Still my instructor wasn't too happy when I decided that we had reached 6m and took my reg back and he wasn't ready  

Fiona

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

When  I was down Pembrokeshire last time I picked up two good books Shipwrecks Around Wales Volume 1 and 2 by Tom Bennett these have quite a lot of Pembrokeshire wrecks in.  Also by the same author Welsh Shipwrecks Vol1 and 2 and Three.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>John,

My particular favourite is the Lucy which is in 40m in the lea of Skomer Island, (be careful if you go through Jack Sound). Try Dive Pembrokshire For the Lucy see lucy. This months Diver magazine had a section on the St Jacques, not having dived her myself I'n unable to pass comment, but will be planning too when the weather lifts.

As for launching in Dale, you'll be better launching from Gulliswick, as your less a effected by the tide and there's no wave action to hinder.

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

Dived down there quite a few times and each time has been different - sometimes viz is great, othertimes it is diving by braille.

Obviously the Lucy is the best of the well known wrecks (and Skomer is great for scenics, but have had good dives on the Dakotian, the Behar (which is easy to find - actually so is the Dakotian, just go to where all the RIBs are). Also dived the PLM but that was a silt fest the time I dived it.

The Greek which is just outside the sound has better viz but is quite broken up although the boilers stand proud. Need to watch out as it is often fished from the shore by anglers and we have been buzzed by lines cast from the shore - fishing tackle and RIBs dont mix.  
We were careful with our reaction, but a local team out of Pembroke Dock on another RIB went mental  

If you get the chance visit the hotel in Druidstone - it is like stepping back in time..... to Woodstock... man. Great food and very welcoming to all comers.

Did a dive at Abereiddy Quarry - you know Satan's arse, well this was blacker.  

Hope you enjoy it.

Simon

·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I have dived the Lucy and know how good it can be in GOOD viz. thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>The north wall of Skomer is very good, or garland stone and pains rock. The point of Skokholm island below the lighthouse, you have an excellent array of gullies.

Very much weather dependent are Hats and Barrels and the smalls lighthouse. The Smalls IMHO being on par with the Skelligs and Mannicles, and well worth the long trip out.

hope this helps.

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>I dived with Brian Dilly last summer, by coincidence he emailed me this evening.

I have just been investigating a weekend over there. Anyone else interested in June or September?

If you are setting up a trip please would you email me, especially if doing the Lucy.:)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Whilst looking for the Faraday, my buddy and I found ourselves on a rather impromptu drift whilst waiting to be picked up by our RIB. Having surfaced we drifted through Jack Sound, with the boat in hot pursuit.  I can only imagine what it must be like diving in the sound, some very weird eddies and whirlpool type things, pulling at our legs.  Made the job of retrieving us challenging for our boat handler.

Been out and dived Grassholm on the Rib, "god that place smells" bird shite city

Been out with Brian Dhilly a couple of times, seems a sound guy.

Likewise if anyone fancies a weekend trip down there anytime either as a YD bash or otherwise i'd be interested.

·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>that is why the Lucy in the sound can be a very challenging dive. 40m, very bad viz at times and strong currents.

IDH. I have buddied up with brian on a few occasions. he can run a good boat, but I think he overstretches himself sometimes.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>The Lucy isn't in Jack Sound, she's in the lea of Skomer island, in the bay directly in front of the warders hut on the cliff. see Lucy. And Can't imagine how a pair of divers looking for the Faraday ended up in jack sound as these are not even remotely close too each other. The Faraday is off St Anne's Head, not Skomer Reserve.

Apparently diving the sound is a great dive, not one that I have tried myself and from the articles I've read one that needs to be taken seriously as a small slack window. see Jack Sound

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>alright this is one i'll definately go to when ever youve got a date theres a check waiting.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Following Reeve rightly pointing out that the wreck of the Faraday wasn't near Jack sound I started thinking what the hell the wreck was that we had been searching for before our impromptu drift through Jack sound. ( see previous posts)I had a look in the wreck book & the sketch's confirm it was the "Molesey" we never did find it . Argh well back to the drawing board.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts