YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well almost complete. The buttony bit on the end of the corrugated hose. Mine is knackered and bubbles air from the button plus the nipple screw threads are toast so anytime now there will be a bang, a hiss and a whole world of trouble.

Must be the type where the nipple can be unscrewed as I use the big old commercial CEJN fittings on my kit. It's off an OMS wing so one that is vaguely similar would be Maximum Bad. Like this one...

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
I think Divers Warehouse sell the OMS inflators. Good luck trawling their website for it though!

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Drop Ivon of this parish a pm, he sold me a brand new one for mine at a tight Midland Bast*rd rate ;)

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
I bought new o rings, stripped mine down, gave it a good greasing .............. no wait that was my will .... oops, I nearly typed that out loud ............. erm .............. and reassambled it and it is now working fine.

Shirley a man of your calibre could service it?

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought new o rings, stripped mine down, gave it a good greasing .............. no wait that was my will .... oops, I nearly typed that out loud ............. erm .............. and reassambled it and it is now working fine.

Shirley a man of your calibre could service it?
I can and have but the nipple threads are toast so it needs replacing. It's held in with about 2 turns of thread.

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
I can and have but the nipple threads are toast so it needs replacing. It's held in with about 2 turns of thread.
Aquasure, the diving gypos favourite:)

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Can't you glue them in? OK, you'll never get it apart to service again but it is cheaper than buying a new one?

Still, I suppose that the new bits aren't that expensive when compared to dieing so .............

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aquasure, the diving gypos favourite:)
Actually that's not such a silly idea. I can machine the thread out, fill with epoxy then retap 1/8" BSP. Shouldn't take more than, say, a couple of hours in the workshop at ooooo £40 per hour...

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Actually that's not such a silly idea. I can machine the thread out, fill with epoxy then retap 1/8" BSP. Shouldn't take more than, say, a couple of hours in the workshop at ooooo £40 per hour...
Two hours? You could make yourself a wooden reel in that time...

Janos

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Thats funny cos thats what i tend to do with beavers too.....

coat not needed here its warm

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Sea&Sea sell a very nice DiveRite inflator that pretty much covers all the bases you've listed. I've got one of these as a spare in my toolkit and I can assure you that it's a high quality item. To be honest, most of these things tend to come out of the same factories anyway and are simply rebadged...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well almost complete. The buttony bit on the end of the corrugated hose. Mine is knackered and bubbles air from the button plus the nipple screw threads are toast so anytime now there will be a bang, a hiss and a whole world of trouble.

Must be the type where the nipple can be unscrewed as I use the big old commercial CEJN fittings on my kit. It's off an OMS wing so one that is vaguely similar would be Maximum Bad. Like this one...

bin it and buy a halycon 1, nice s/steel parts and no chrome to flake off & nacker the `o`rings .

·
tell it like it is
283 Posts
had the same trouble with mine after some lard ass stood on it.
i had about 2 turns of thread left after the rest were stripped & it cost me the dive.

took it home, stripped it down, dried it out then started wondering.
i eventually secured it with a 2 part waterproof epoxy.
it lasted for perhaps 6 months before i sold it on.
when i sold it, it was still holding strong.
i also informed the new buyer of the history.

hes dead now... but ... ohh well.. (i jest!)

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Would those be the ones that have a known fault that means they eventually fail open and start gently pissing air into your BC so that bouyancy control becomes a battle? :D

Sorry H. Couldn't resist :D :D
No. With mine the metal button shot out of the plastic body, travelling about 5 m underwater.

This was around 20 hours after I'd last relubed it because it kept pissing air in.

Janos

1 - 20 of 20 Posts