YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3.5kg Halcyon V Weight but need a 5kg one as I don't like having the extra 2kg on the harness.
If anyone would like to swap their 5kg for my 3.5g and I'll chuck in a 2kg and a 1kg v weight also, please let me know.

Cheers,

Ian

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Ian,

Instead of swaping the 3.5 for a 5kg - why not keep the 3.5 and *add* a P-weight instead (that sits above the plate instead of under it.)

You'd have around the same weight - the P weight I have is about 2.5 kg - but more importantly you have flexibility - take off the P-weight if you ever find yourself in a quarry..

just an idea.

;)

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ian,

Instead of swaping the 3.5 for a 5kg - why not keep the 3.5 and *add* a P-weight instead (that sits above the plate instead of under it.)

You'd have around the same weight - the P weight I have is about 2.5 kg - but more importantly you have flexibility - take off the P-weight if you ever find yourself in a quarry..

just an idea.

;)
Cheers Wilbo,

Yeah, had considered that but P weights appear to be as rare as a return phone call from my mortgage solicitors!

Know of anywhere that does them?

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Unfortunately, I suspect Ian is actually talking about a P weight already - the Halcyon one fits on top of the backplate and is then secured by the bolts.

I suspect not many people have the 5 kg thing.

What I would personally do is add 2 kgs of v weight when diving in the sea.

However, I'm yet to be convined you need all that bloody weight, so I can see a ruthless weight check coming on in our near future :)

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
And a very good idea it is too. In fact it's so good, it's what I do :D
Another reason to do this this that your trim in the water should not change.. I think by getting a heavier Vweight - your trim will change - as I believe they are longer (that channel can only take so much lead before the lead has to start growing in length)..

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Cheers Wilbo,

Yeah, had considered that but P weights appear to be as rare as a return phone call from my mortgage solicitors!

Know of anywhere that does them?
with reference to Garfs post:

V-weight - in the channel between the cylinders under the backplate
P-Weight on top of the backplate in the groove between you and the backplate.
(and to complete the trio - and sorry for Granny, eggs, sucking)
Tail weight - hung off lower cylinder bolt, behind plate in the cylinder grooves.

P-weight - Knackers does P-weights - I am sure UE probably does them too. These are not as common as V-weights.
V-weights - most tech shops do them - UE, sweary Wally at lumb, etc.
tail weights - knackers does the canvas solution - which is ideal - as you put either a 1kg or 2kg shot bag in it

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
Ian,

just an idea.

;)
What he said. I prefer P-weights to V-weights as I can feel the weight is further from my centre of gravity. So personally I wouldn't want to make that any worse by having a heavier V weight when the extra 1.5Kg could be right up against my back in a P weight.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tail weights - knackers does the canvas solution - which is ideal - as you put either a 1kg or 2kg shot bag in it
Ah ha!! I've just remembered I have a canvas tail weight bag, you got it for me!! :D Will have to dig it out from somewhere.

I definately need the 5kg though Garf - I found this out when I removed 1kg diving with 4kg on the JEL and with 20bar in the twins struggled to control my ascent from 6m to surface.

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Ah ha!! I've just remembered I have a canvas tail weight bag, you got it for me!! :D Will have to dig it out from somewhere.

I definately need the 5kg though Garf - I found this out when I removed 1kg diving with 4kg on the JEL and with 20bar in the twins struggled to control my ascent from 6m to surface.
fair enough :)

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
This is what I have:
yup, a P weight. you could always get 2 X 1 kg V weight blocks and put them under the backplate between the twins. This is what I do. I "might" even have 2 spare, but I'm not sure until I can get home and check.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts

:D no worries.. just saved you some money then!

I use 3kgs, plus 2kgs in the tail weight for fresh
and I add the P-weight for the sea..

something to do with bioprene or something.. :D

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yup, a P weight. you could always get 2 X 1 kg V weight blocks and put them under the backplate between the twins. This is what I do. I "might" even have 2 spare, but I'm not sure until I can get home and check.
I must admit I haven't tried but thought that the v weights between the twins and the large v Weight over the top might make the backplate sit a bit proud. Guess we'll need longer bolts tommorrow :) I'll bring all the available combinations and have a play.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
good idea.

If you do this then bind then together with Duct Tape to stop them scratching the cylinders. Also because 2kgs of v weights will not fill the gap between the bands get a little bit of webbing - fold it up into a tight loop and use that to take out the excess gap left over - it works very well to stop the v-weights rattling about - also allows you to better place them - either towards the top or bottom of the cylinders depending on your trim needs.. simple solutions work best.. :)

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I must admit I haven't tried but thought that the v weights between the twins and the large v Weight over the top might make the backplate sit a bit proud. Guess we'll need longer bolts tommorrow :) I'll bring all the available combinations and have a play.
if the weight you use sits on top of the backplate - then you will not need to change the bolts - as the v-weight chunks sit underneath the backplate and won't back affected by your current setup.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Yeah but he has a V-weight already so he needs a P-weight...
Arrrgghhhhhhh! confusion..

Ian - does your current weight sit on top of the cylinders with the backplate on top of it

-or-

on top of the backplate - next to your drysuit - with nothing next to the cylinders?

with reference to Garfs post:

V-weight - in the channel between the cylinders under the backplate
P-Weight on top of the backplate in the groove between you and the backplate.
(and to complete the trio - and sorry for Granny, eggs, sucking)
Tail weight - hung off lower cylinder bolt, behind plate in the cylinder grooves.

P-weight - Knackers does P-weights - I am sure UE probably does them too. These are not as common as V-weights.
V-weights - most tech shops do them - UE, sweary Wally at lumb, etc.
Edit - Rob - I think he is using a V-weight - as per the image - but possibly on top of the backplate?????? :confused:

Ian?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I have:
1 x 2kg v weight (to sit between cylinders)
2 x 1kg v weight (to sit between cylinders)
1 x 3.5kg Halcyon v weight (this sits over the bolts but the bolts need to be longer as the current ones are not long enough to go through the wing, b/p and v weight)
1 x Tail Pouch.
2 x 1kg blocks currently on harness

Enough to be faffing with :)

I don't use all this weight by the way!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.