YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
One of them...
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a club we've been looking at diving a few sites in the far NW of Scotland, and we're gradually coming to the conclusion that a compressor would make our lives much easier. I've done a fair bit of research and planning, and we think that a 3.5 cfm compressor would do nicely for the sort of trips we need it for.

I've looked at brand spanking new, and sadly the price is a too high. Does anyone have one that they might consider parting with?

Must be in good working order, and petrol driven. Happy to travel to collect or arrange shipping.

Thanks for looking,

Ben

·
Registered
208 Posts
As a club we've been looking at diving a few sites in the far NW of Scotland, and we're gradually coming to the conclusion that a compressor would make our lives much easier. I've done a fair bit of research and planning, and we think that a 3.5 cfm compressor would do nicely for the sort of trips we need it for.

I've looked at brand spanking new, and sadly the price is a too high. Does anyone have one that they might consider parting with?

Must be in good working order, and petrol driven. Happy to travel to collect or arrange shipping.

Thanks for looking,

Ben
PM on its way

Phil

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Your best option would be a cheap Bristol 4s7, there's loads around. Most seem to have 3 phase motors but a cheap 6hp petrol motor will run it easily. That's what I did.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
If you know where to look you can get air fills fairly easily even on remote dive sites in NW Scotland. I had a 3.5cfm petrol for exactly the same reasons and found it was easier to just get fills. I eventually sold mine.
For a group of any more than 4 or so someone is going to have to spend some time each night watching a compressor........

·
One of them...
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your advice - I've been in touch with windy and he's given me a lot to think about!

Rupert - if you could let me know of any un-official filling stations on Islay, Jura, Eigg or Torridon area I'd be very grateful...

Thanks again,

Ben

·
Fine Upstanding Member
192 Posts
Ben
I went through this exercise myself last year, following Ebay and YD. I found that small portable secondhand compressors were fetching well over £1,000 and even up to £1,500. I contacted Bauer and they supplied me with a brand new Poseidon 3.5 300 bar compressor for not much over £1,700 plus VAT. I'm highly delighted with it. I think the prices for secondhand portable units are too high, but if that is what they are fetching then it will keep the value of the brand new machine high too. You also need to consider that a new compressor is guaranteed and has a warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.