YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it says, looking for a transmitter for my Vytec DS.

Want a backup pressure gauge after mine stuck once and have lost a bit of confidence in it, figure a transmitter is a compact method, and also does SAC, remaining air time etc.

Cheers,
Dave.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
i tell ya what dave i wouldnt mind one for my ds but they seem to cost a fortune !

good luck with your hunt for one ! best wishes leigh

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,754 Posts
If it's the same one as works on the 'old' Vytec, I've got one. I dropped my Vytec over the side in Cyprus last year, but have no need to replace it as I'm on the Vision leccys on the rebreather, and just need a bottom timer for backup.

Dunno what it's worth, but if your interested, PM me.

Reactions: 861-218

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
**** you have PM, I am interested :thumbsup:

Nick, how low do you trust your SPG to measure? Mine stuck at 30 bar once, admittedly I had been purging from about 100 to weight cechk a few minutes before.
In twin 12s second dive 25 bar is minimum to hit surface with I guess. Do you trust your SPG to measure ok down at that range?

If so I might replace my suunto with a nik naks one. Think I still want a transmitter too as backup though.

Thanks,
Dave.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Nick, how low do you trust your SPG to measure? Mine stuck at 30 bar once, admittedly I had been purging from about 100 to weight cechk a few minutes before.
In twin 12s second dive 25 bar is minimum to hit surface with I guess. Do you trust your SPG to measure ok down at that range?

If so I might replace my suunto with a nik naks one. Think I still want a transmitter too as backup though.
Sorry Dave, only just seen this.

I'm not sure any analogue gauge that reads from 0 - 350 Bar or thereabouts is any good below 30 Bar. My personal gas planning doesn't involve breaking the surface with less than that though ;)

My backgas SPG is one of these beauties, but they're as rare as hen's teeth:

I'd definitely recommend the DirZone gauges over anything that Suunto knock out. The SM-36 is downright nasty; I wouldn't even use one on a stage cylinder.

Another good option is the Mares Mission SPG - not the compact version but the chrome-plated brass jobby with the integrated thermometer and mineral glass. Here's the best picture I can find at the moment, ignore the console:

I managed to pick one of these up, brand new without a hose for less than a tenner on eBay.

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much for the info Nick. I have already shelled out to Mr Knackers for a decent DirZone one, so hopefully will feel a bit more trust in in it in the 50-30 bar range. I also never plan to surface with less than 30.

And I've bought ****'s transmitter too, so I have a backup, and will trust the more conservative.

Cheers,
Dave.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts