YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other week I was helping teach Janos' club down at Stoney. As we were kitting up, I saw J and Missus J had slipped on some neoprene gauntlets (chopped up old wetsuit arms) covering their forearms.

"Whassat?" I pipe up.

"Keeps your hands toasty", replies J.

So being somewhat sceptical, my eyebrows shot up and I gave him a proper "riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight" reply while edging away looking for a mental health social worker. However apparently it keeps the blood vessels warm that are close to the surface on your wrists. Sounded, TBH, like utter cobblers to me.

Anyway. Last weekend in Weymouth, I thought I would give it a go and see what happened. So sceptical was I that the 5mm gloves and 7mm mitts were also in the kit box. So- popped the gauntlets on (chopped up 3mm suit arms) and they covered the area from elbow to just before where the suit seal sits. I thought, "well if this doesn't work I can always put the thick gloves on for the rest of the weekend and laugh at J".

And you know what? Even with 3mm Decathlon wet gloves, my hands were perfectly fine all weekend in 9° water. At no time were they cold and I had the dexterity you need.

So- apologies to Janos. It's a brilliant idea. If you wear the neoprene right next to your skin, you get a bit sweaty so for days 2 and 3 I popped them over my merino base layer and it worked really well.

So don't green me- green Janos. It was ace.

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
Sounds interesting, i may give it a go this weekend. Does it have to be neo-prene sleeve or would any material work?

oddly enough i've seen this type of thing used by some long distance runners, i think it may be for the same reasons.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Yep I read Janos' post the other day and immediately made some for myself. I happened to have an old wetsuit, the scissors and my blackwitch on my table as I'd been making something else. Giving it a go this weekend.

·
an unconstructed man
292 Posts
i suppose similar kind of set up on my draco suit a lot of fellas take the cuffs off the suit, but i zip mine up over the gloves its abit of a faff when kicking off but works for me ,3mm gloves all year round albeit a bit chilly in five degrees but you can keep dexterity .Problem is in the middle of summer the draco is far to bulky ,thinking about a membrane for those rare hot days when finances permit

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
I badly want to try this as my hands get freezing. I just can't bring myself to cut up my old Ralph Tech wetsuit, and Poundland were out of neo wrist supports at lunchtime.

Oh well, cold hands again tonight, I suppose :(

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Right i usually treat any post by Janos or Woz as being a load of old ballacks, just slightly better than anything Digger or Chasey comes out with ;)

However what to do when they both come out with a tip? Well Janos and Mrs Janos used these the other week on the Unity dive and it looked damn good so i'll give it a try :)

Trouble is i cannot dive till June now so it will have to wait for the winter.

Triathlets and cyclists use arm warmers as well :)

·
"Are we human, or are we diver?"
1,329 Posts
I badly want to try this as my hands get freezing. I just can't bring myself to cut up my old Ralph Tech wetsuit, and Poundland were out of neo wrist supports at lunchtime.

Oh well, cold hands again tonight, I suppose :(
Most pharmacies will carry them, as will sports shops, but they'll be more expensive too.

Reactions: Kirstie

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Does it just need to cover the wrists, or does it have to go all the way up the forearm, and does it make you wee? :)

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does it just need to cover the wrists, or does it have to go all the way up the forearm, and does it make you wee? :)
Mine go from where the wrist seals end to well before my elbow. Imagine Russell Crowe's leather wrist gauntlets in Gladiator and you won't be a million miles out.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
I picked this tip up from someone who gave a talk at the DiverSE conference. The theory is that the arteries that feed your hands pass very close to the skin in your forearm, which is why you see Sportsmen cooling themselves down by running cold water over their wrists.

It also works in practice - in a three day trip to Swanage last weekend I forgot my gauntlets on one day and realised only when I thought "hmmm my hands are colder today then they were yesterday".

Today I did a 2.5 hour dive wearing tropical reef gloves (my usual gloves) in 9 degree water. Now I don't suffer the cold much, but at the end of the dive only my little fingers were feeling cold.

Gauntlets - it's the future.

I'll try and take some pics tomorrow.

Janos

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Mine go from where the wrist seals end to well before my elbow. Imagine Russell Crowe's leather wrist gauntlets in Gladiator and you won't be a million miles out.
cheers mate, has your club got an old wetsuit I can butcher please? ;)

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts
would leg warmers keep my feet warm ,, or would i just look like irene cara ,,,,
ah the price of
fame
mind you , i do wanna live forever
now try not singin it

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Now I understand why my big fluffy 300gm undersuit that goes right to my wrists and ankles works so well while the guys in the thin 'lots of layers' stuff are always going on about dry gloves and wondering why I can't see the point.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts