YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

On a recent trip to Cornwall I had a catastrophic reg failure a new last of the production run of a Dacor adjustable Fury.I was diving on twins when the mouth piece of my main reg started to come apart some I swapped to my back up reg the Fury I took one breath and only got a small amount of air so I turned the adjustment knob and it came off in my hand all the gubbins inside the reg came apart and it failed.
I swapped back to my main reg and ended the dive.The reg was taken back to the shop where it had come from and sent to Dacors uk agent who confimed that they have a problem with this batch of regs failing my is not the first.
They are not recalling these regs so be warned if you have a late production Dacor Fury adjustable check it.

nigel

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Nigel,  not great,  can imagine it is not pleasant see you reg fall apart in your hands.

Do you check your backup regularly during your dive, ?  

I must confess I probably do not check mine as often as I should.  At the start of the dive and maybe once mid dive.

I do occasionally use it for a sustained period like 5 or 10 minutes just to make sure it is ok for longer than a couple of breathes.

Having said that when Murphy is diving with you it don't matter how many times you check it,  it will only fall apart when you actually need it.

Safe diving,
Daz

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Daz
I must admit I dont check my back up that often apart from a quick breath untill now!!!!!!!!!!
nigel

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Imported post

Not directly connected. I had two Dacour Fury regs (non adjustable type) fail.  Both started to free flow due to high interstage pressure caused by faulty high pressure seats and poppets ( is that the right word?).  The first reg lasted 4 dives and the second ( my wifes) lasted 7 dives.  Both were used only as pony regs so were not used hard.  The water temp at the time of both failures was 28 deg C so it didnt freeze up.  The serial numbers were close enough to be from the same batch, but far enough apart to have been made on different days/machines etc.

Took them back to Stoney Cove (our retailer and Dacor importer), the first assistant I spoke to said "not another one".  The service manager refused to give us a refund or and exchange them for new regs and said that "we were just unlucky and these reg ware great and they never had any back for repair".  They said that they would only repair them despite being less than 28 days old and clearly not fit for purpose.

I now have a pony reg which will be replaced ASAP.  I have no confidence in Dacor regs and would not recomend them to anyone

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well it's these little wake up calls that make us assess our procedures and amend accordingly.

We all make mistakes, the important thing is learning from them.

And just to prove a point,  my little cock up on the weekend.

3 of us doing a little dive off Brixham,  considering the vis we managed to not lose each other the whole dive until the last 2 minutes.  So I get into about 1 metre of water, stood up, took my fins off and spat my reg out.  

A wave took me off my feet and I am now led on my back on the bottom in 1 metre of water with no reg in my mouth and my feet floating above me.  The only thing I can remember was "How embarrassing is this, twin 10's and drowning in 1 metre of water  
"  Suffice to say I grabbed my backup reg octoed round my neck and stuck it in and then actually worked out that inflating my wing might help  
"

Boy did I feel a twat, but I don't think anyone noticed.

Daz

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imported post

It is sad to read about the lack of confidence shown in the Dacor regulators as one of the first I ever purchased was a Dacor 960XLE.  It was considered to be one of the best regulators on the market at that time (1986) and I had some 800+ trouble free dives with that piece of kit before my wife decided that it looked so battered that it surely must be a health hazard!

Interestingly enough, I haven't actually been drawn to the new family of Dacor regulators - probably, judging by Nigel and Darren27's comments, a good thing.

Safe diving, all

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

I've got 'em and they're fine. Viper metal as the primary reg (Bought at the dive show in October) and the non adjusting fury as the pony reg (which did over 100 dives before it went onto the pony) and I'm very happy with them.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

okey dokey

Nige, if that is the case then us at YD suggest you contact Dacor sharpish to get it sorted.

If it is the case that Dacor are recalling their regs (which i woiuld be VERY surprised if they did not!) then hopefully your problem will be solved.

I told you to get Apeks!!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Andy
they have sorted it brand new set of top of the range sea eagle pro but there will be no recall got it from the top.By the way apex BAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nigel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Imported post

OK, I was just going to read but I got sucked in to post on this.

Two things learned about Dacor Viper Regs:-
1. Warning on Dacor Viper reg octo second stage -

the ordinary viper second stage has a "plastic" flap for a purge button. To prevent it being pushed too far down there is a stop moulded on to one side of the case, but only one side. If the flap is pushed too hard and one sided it can get stuck under the stop so that the reg is continuously purging and it is very difficult to release.

It is difficult to get the flap stuck deliberately on the surface but I have seen it happen underwater and heard of it happening more than once. It doesn't apply to the viper metal and other models because they have a mesh type cover over the diaphragm which acts as the purge button. It wouldn't happen at all if there was a stop moulded on both sides of the flap instead of just one. I cannot think why it is designed like that and it doesn't seem to be very well tested as a design feature.  

2.  Warning on Viper 1st stage -
The swivelling main second stage hose is a good feature. Unfortunately the stop which prevents it swinging too far away from the diver to the rear is made of plastic. It isn't strong enough. Although we look after our kit (don't we?) inevitably it comes in for a bit of robust handling especially when being assisted in and out of boats perhaps. The plastic stop on my 1st stage has cracked so that it nio longer does anything useful. I don't see why it could not have been made as part of the main body in metal. It would not need to extend as high as the plastic stop to do the job.

I have these regs because Dacor indicated that the older models would no longer be serviced so offered a trade in deal but I cannot see them lasting as long as my old ones which I had for at least ten years with no problems.

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Imported post

I was told by a reg service engineer that the reason they stopped servicing old Dacor regs because the new importer could not be bothered supplying service kits for regs that they had not sold.  What a cheek to have a good reg and to be told that you could have a new plastic reg for loads more dosh than the cost of a service and for them to make out they were doing you a favour.

Service kits for the older Dacor regs are available from the manufactures in the US.  Some dive shops stocked up on service kits for these regs so ring around or ask an independent dive shop if they can help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts