YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This comes about because of another thread where a poster said
It's not him you have to make sure doesn't find out. It's your relatives. That's where any law suit is going to come from. How many of us have actually explained the risks we take to our nearest and dearest?

Best thing to do is dive only with people who have no dependants. I used to have a buddy like that, no immediate family but then he ruined it and got married. And stopped diving
I am sorry, but this really gets me. I dive to have fun. My ex-wife knew that I didn't have gills and therefore couldn't breathe without a gas supply, so yes she knew it was dangerous. She also appreciated that I would do training to make my diving safer. (She didn't appreciate how much time I spent diving but that is another matter!!)

This country is going to the dogs because people are afraid to take responsibility for their own actions. Before someone says, what about the newbies who get poor instruction from a crap instructor, the responsibility lies with the Instructor Trainer/CD who signed them off and the individual instructor to realise that he shouldn't be teaching.

Rant over. Maybe I should move this to the Speaker's Corner.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
It's not him you have to make sure doesn't find out. It's your relatives. That's where any law suit is going to come from. How many of us have actually explained the risks we take to our nearest and dearest?

Best thing to do is dive only with people who have no dependants. I used to have a buddy like that, no immediate family but then he ruined it and got married. And stopped diving
What a crock of shit.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts

I am sorry, but this really gets me. I dive to have fun. My ex-wife knew that I didn't have gills and therefore couldn't breathe without a gas supply, so yes she knew it was dangerous. She also appreciated that I would do training to make my diving safer. (She didn't appreciate how much time I spent diving but that is another matter!!)

This country is going to the dogs because people are afraid to take responsibility for their own actions. Before someone says, what about the newbies who get poor instruction from a crap instructor, the responsibility lies with the Instructor Trainer/CD who signed them off and the individual instructor to realise that he shouldn't be teaching.

My wife would just asume its my fault anyway. Everything else is my faault so I doubt if id get any extra credit even if i croked :D

ATB

Mark Chase

Reactions: Jules and Kanga

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
my wife Insured me for £750,000 so she would pay for me to have a accident :D

·
Sub-optimal DIR wannabe
1,038 Posts

Surely anyone with a next of kin of any kind would be able to raise a law suit?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I dive with a lawyer and there's a high chance of her wanting to sue me at some point. I'm probably screwed.

Luckily she also knows how broke I am.

·
Sub-optimal DIR wannabe
1,038 Posts
I dive with a lawyer and there's a high chance of her wanting to sue me at some point. I'm probably screwed.

You have a house, car... your dive kit :teeth:

Lawyers are great. I like them. Don't hurt me.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts

Beware !!!

Graham :D

Reactions: Kanga

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
I am diving with Howie soon, can I just check that the other members of TFT won't sue me if I don't bring him back :D

and just so we all know he isn't going to show me anything :wink:

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts

I have third party insurance (through BSAC). Like most insurance I don't expect I'll ever have to use it but it's reassuring to have it just in case.

If I ever cop it then I think it very unlikely that Missus Janos will sue my buddy, DO, and instructors. I hope not. However, if she received a large payout from a life insurance company then I wouldn't be surprised [1] if the Insurance firm took steps to recover their payout if there was a question of the buddy being at fault.

This would be like my motor insurance firm taking the uninsuranced driver who (hypothetically) wrote off my car to court.

Sad state of affairs, but there you go.

Janos

[1] - Although I don't think it's likely.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I am diving with Howie soon, can I just check that the other members of TFT won't sue me if I don't bring him back :D

I should imagine that you will be showered with gifts and good wishes for the rest of your life..
:D

I'm only joking HP. You're spot on. Can I have your DUI when they find you?

:D

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts

Call the Conger Protection League, they'll pay you NOT to bring him back.
Some on YD might also :)

Matt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Advice

Well, as a lawyer myself I can confirm that the vast proportion of the high number compensation awards in the newspapers etc are not for loss of income/the pain & suffering felt by relatives etc, but to cover the cost of providing intensive care over the remaining lifetime of the victim.

So the best advice in damages is always to kill your buddy.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts

Oops, does that put me in this boat too now then? :(

I also think it's a load of rubbish. We all know that it's a potentially dangerous hobby. We need to practice as much as possible to stay safe, and buy as much kit as we can so we can stay safe.... So Q.E.D. If other halves don't like us going diving and buying gear they want us dead.... They wouldn't want us dead, do they!?

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
No disagreement from me there. But there was a case where I think it was 3 people were diving together. They came to the end of their planned bottom time and two started to come up. The other one was after a porthole and refused to come up. They later found the body with empty tanks.

The widow successfully sued the dive buddies. And this was in the UK.

Jason

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Can I have your DUI when they find you
I've got a particularly sticky Werthers Original in my pocket - you can have that?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts