YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just a quick "hands up" to having a problem with using bungees for fin straps.

Don't get me wrong, they are absolutely great, reliable, robust and extremely cheap to make.  However, I had some fun with them on my last dive (a night dive) which was on Saturday.

At 30m, felt a bit loose on the left foot.  Lo and behold, strap had slipped off heel and was not holding fin on - friction only.  Not a problem, reached down and pulled the twin bungees over the heel stud and over the ankle weights for safety - I didn't fancy trying to tighten them and if they come off once because they are too loose, they are going to come off again.  Now, since both fin straps start off the same length, I have learnt that problems with one means the other is not far behind.  I lifted my leg up to check, and watched as the other b*gger washed off my foot!  Oh good. No sweat - grabbed it, checked my buoyancy and started to put it back on.  Then my torch went out.  Someone up there was having a laugh!  I had a bit of a laugh myself at that point and wondered what was going to happen next!

So, fitted the fin and was extracting backup torch when Sherpa Doug arrived with his spare (so that's what buddies are for).

Finished the rest of a cracking dive - excellent.  (Had to replace Doug's torch when THAT ran out though)

So, what happened?  I had left the bungee locked using the buckles only.  With use, this had gradually slipped (you can see the corrosion stains on the bungee) until it was just loose enough to slip off.  I had intended to fix it with cable ties once I had made sure they weren't too tight - and had not got round to it.

So, unless you are very good at finning with one fin on, get your bungees cable-tied now!!!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ Nov. 11 2003,22:16)]Bungee is only any good if you're a tight git.  Buy some proper stainless steel ones.  
I am  

And even with the additional expense of a couple of cable ties on top of the price of the bungee that still leaves a good £40 in the pocket.

Like John says, cable tie them.  80 dives since I switched and not a single problem.  (Seen 4 fin straps break in that time though  
).

Daz

Just one question for Doug,  what alerted you to the problem Doug?  Was it when everything went from completely lit up to pitch black when John's torch went out  

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ Nov. 11 2003,21:45)]Just a quick "hands up" to having a problem with using bungees for fin straps.
John,

You should know better than that...  In our line of work, don't we term that user error  

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>mine are cable tied to within an inch of thier lives

digger however laughs at them due to the number of cable ties (not inconsiderable admittedly)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I just tied a knot in mine and smeared Aquasure all over the knots. Believe me, they're NOT coming untied

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Nov. 12 2003,12:36)]
Just one question for Doug,  what alerted you to the problem Doug?  Was it when everything went from completely lit up to pitch black when John's torch went out  
 daz.  You're assuming i was somewhere near him, i didn't see his torch go for a Burton but i heard him say UH OH.  He knows the route and he's dived it enough to know how to get out of it.  I'm surprised he hasn't said anything about the huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge lobster we saw though.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

It wasn't an "Uh oh", It was me p*ssing myself laughing.  "Once more the Devil farts in my general direction!"

Daz, LOL mate - it was a design feature, which will be improved upon for version 2 which is an integrated system giving good ROI (for a one-off investment of 2 cable ties).  ...and is considerably more cost-effective than legacy systems such as "stainless steel springs".  £40, I ask you.  The jetfins only cost me a tenner!

Yup, the lobster was so big, instead of backing off, it started to lurch TOWARDS us!!!  Doug reckons it was too tough, but I'd have kicked its ass...  Oh, perhaps he meant too tough to eat...  It was blooming big though...

Just for the record, there will also shortly be a version two of my portable night-sun.  This will have twin-filaments of 85w and 105w.  You have been warned...

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ Nov. 12 2003,20:44)]Just for the record, there will also shortly be a version two of my portable night-sun.  This will have twin-filaments of 85w and 105w.  You have been warned...

F*ck me,  I can't wait to see the battery pack for that one if the current one is anything to go by....

I suspect when you put the battery on charge, Torbay area will be suffering a major power drain.

Daz

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Nov. 12 2003,22:09)]
F*ck me,  I can't wait to see the battery pack for that one if the current one is anything to go by....

I suspect when you put the battery on charge, Torbay area will be suffering a major power drain.
 If it gets any bigger, it'll have to be surface fed.  The lobster would have been a doddle to catch,  not as nimble/quick as smaller ones but it would have been like eating a piece of carpet tile, only tougher.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts