YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

I had a very enjoyable dive on Friday with Gledders and thought I should share :)

The DIR-UK trip out of Weymouth was cancelled this weekend and as I had been very much looking forward to getting in the sea I pulled out the stops to get a nice dive in rather than settling for the alternative trip to Vobster. I found and booked a couple of spaces on Skin Deeper out of Weymouth to dive the Warrior II.

Ropes off was at 08:00 so a very early start was required. I left home in Stansted at 05:45 (30 minutes late!) and arrived at Clare's at 06:00, loaded my gear into her truck then we headed off for Weymouth. We caught a lot of traffic near Dorchester which slowed us up and we were panicking that we would miss the boat. I loaded the gear onto the boat while Clare parked the car and we were finally on board and ready to go at 07:59:50!

The ride out to the wreck was smooth and warm :) I spent the ride out getting my gear sorted and making sure everything was working perfectly. When we got to the site the fog had really closed in. I guess there was about a quater of a mile surface visibility. Not good in this busy shipping area. The picture below (not our trip) shows pretty well how close we were to passing shipping.

Skin Deeper is a new boat and the skipper was still fine tuning the sounder so he took quite some time putting in the shot line. The shot was put in close to the HUGE boiler and the grapel was pulled in tight to the wreck.
The sea looked black over the wreck which is normally a sign of good vis below. I could see a lot of particulate in the water but there were no large patches of the stuff. The deck-hand assured us that he could see for about 20m down the shot line. Things were looking promising :)

The other divers on board were a mix of CCR divers, a couple on OC and us. Clare and I were the last team to enter the water. Due to the fog the skipper requested that we all deploy our DSMBs from the bottom so my Pioneer 400 reel was taken for a dive for the first time since it went to see the Illinois in 2005.

It was so light as we headed down the shot that I missed the 6m bubble check. I stopped at 8m, we did our checks, all ok so on we go. It started to get dark at about 30m then we ran into a lone CCR diver who was descending a lot slower than us. We were just about to go around him when the wreck appeared below us so we dropped off the shot line.
The Warrior II lies in about 54m and is mainly flat on the sea bed. There are a couple of areas with some relief. The boiler is vast and stands about six metres proud of the sea bed. It must be at least the size of a double decker bus and is full of conger eels. There is also a large section of superstructure that raises to about 49m. It looks like it could be the bridge but I'm not too sure about that.

We did an excellent tour of the wreck. Initially it was failry dark but we had about 8m of vis so it was very pleasant. The sun came out about half way through the dive and the ambient light increased nicely. If we covered our lights we could see a fair bit of the wreck. There is a lot of brass on the wreck if you look hard enough. There are also some really nice looking portholes with ventilated covers. The portholes that I saw were all very firmly attached to the wreck.

The dive was conducted to a soundtrack of bang, bang, bang, bang from a hammer and chisel and a whump, whump, whump, whump of passing shipping. I don't mind the passing ships but the banging was unwanted noise pollution. I should make some underwater ASBO stickers to stick on noisey buggers.

If you like lobsters and crabs then this is a great place to find your dinner. I spotted at least four lobsters and many nice sized crabs. The wreck is teeming with conger eels. The largest conger head I have ever seen was poking out of the boiler. It must have been a very big eel!

When we got to 22 minutes BT we thumbed the dive and shot the DSMB. We shared the deployment, Clare with the reel while I inflated my 4' alert marker from my suit inflation. I made sure it contained plenty of gas so that it would be fully inflated on the surface to further test the self-adhesive on my SOLAS stickers (worked perfectly). We had done 25mins at an avarage of about 52m so we did deepstops from 39m, switched to 50% at 21m, 4's upto 6m, 15mins @ 6m then 5 up for a total of 40mins deco. Clare ran the deco and I was on DSMB duty.

It was a very pleasant deco, light and with good vis. I was playing yoyos with the pathfinder and generally having a great time. Very comfortable and very chilled. Every time I back-kicked away from Clare she sneakily moved forward. I nearly choked as this little game gave me a proper fit of the giggles. I have never laughed so much underwater. It was infantile I know but very funny at the time.

We spotted one of the OC guys from the boat at our 6m stop. He was wearing an orange boiler suit over his drysuit and he was carrying a large postal sack. I thought he had removed a porthole but the sack contained his supper, a large crab.

The profile from my Vytec looks very good in terms of the shape of the deco. I'll add it to the report when I get a chance.

That was the best dive I have had for a couple of years. I really enjoyed it and I felt really good at every stage. Much better than Vobster ;)

Cheers Clare for a really good dive. Must do it again soon.

Best regards,

Mark.

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
Good report Mark, it was a good day, well worth the early start to get down to Weymouth. The banging was a bit distracting, especially as Baz never got it off in the end.

Ian

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Nice report Mark. Glad you had fun.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good report Mark, it was a good day, well worth the early start to get down to Weymouth. The banging was a bit distracting, especially as Baz never got it off in the end.

Ian
Hi Ian,

nice to meet you BTW.

Cheers,

Mark.

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
Hi Ian,

nice to meet you BTW.

Cheers,

Mark.
Yes, nice to meet up, we could have dived together but Mother Superior wouldn't let me form a 3 for some reason :wink:

Ian

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Staring at an excellent forecast when DIR UK had lost their boat for the weekend was more than I could stand and I was delighted when Mark suggested this trip (my enthusiasm palled slightly when he mentioned the early ropes off I must admit).

The rush down to Weymouth after Mark arrived late and then traffic was 'orrible was bad enough - but we squeaked in just on time and scrambled on to the boat. Phew, time to relax.

Then I heard Ian's dulcette tones calling out to me 'Shouldn't you be in a quarry or something' :D He then introduced us to the new Boris diver present as 'Meet your bailout' :)

It was a good fun dive. Mark picked up immediately when I covered my light that ambient light had kicked in when the sun came out half way through the dive, and covered his as well. It gave great scale to the wreck to see it lying out like that and good viz and good light at 54 odd metres is always to be enjoyed.

I like the Warrior II although I seem to get a really different impression of her ever time I dive her. I went hunting for the bridge this time. Having been told recently that there was no relief on the wreck I'd wondered whether I'd imagined it but I appear not to have done as it was still there! Too many fish on this dive though really got in the way of the wreck :)

Skin Deeper is a new and good boat, well run by Andy and crew on the day. I'd happily use it again and hope to do so before too long.

A great day with fun people - I'd do it again tomorrow if I could.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Sounds like everyone had better viz than us on Friday :frown:

The big ship looks pretty close :) glad you had a good day out.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Great report :thumbsup: - glad that you found some sticky up bits, when I last dived her I managed to miss all of those! Oh well, it just means going back for another look around sometime ;) :D.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Why did you lose your boat? I would have been most unimpressed witht he waether being so cracking!

Lovely report, Mark. Glad you had good conditions. We saw some fog later on Saturday too, but we didn't lost anyone, not without trying....Garf still got back on the boat. :D

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

I've now added the profile from my Vytec to the report. My router has been playing up so I've had no internet connection from home for the last couple of days.

Cheers,

Mark.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Staring at an excellent forecast when DIR UK had lost their boat for the weekend was more than I could stand and I was delighted when Mark suggested this trip (my enthusiasm palled slightly when he mentioned the early ropes off I must admit).

The rush down to Weymouth after Mark arrived late and then traffic was 'orrible was bad enough - but we squeaked in just on time and scrambled on to the boat. Phew, time to relax.

Then I heard Ian's dulcette tones calling out to me 'Shouldn't you be in a quarry or something' :D He then introduced us to the new Boris diver present as 'Meet your bailout' :)

It was a good fun dive. Mark picked up immediately when I covered my light that ambient light had kicked in when the sun came out half way through the dive, and covered his as well. It gave great scale to the wreck to see it lying out like that and good viz and good light at 54 odd metres is always to be enjoyed.

I like the Warrior II although I seem to get a really different impression of her ever time I dive her. I went hunting for the bridge this time. Having been told recently that there was no relief on the wreck I'd wondered whether I'd imagined it but I appear not to have done as it was still there! Too many fish on this dive though really got in the way of the wreck :)

Skin Deeper is a new and good boat, well run by Andy and crew on the day. I'd happily use it again and hope to do so before too long.

A great day with fun people - I'd do it again tomorrow if I could.
:camera: o.k clare,where`s the photo you promised to send me??,:camera: :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts