YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Totally non diving so anyway here we go:

I have a Hoover washer/dryer that has hot and cold water connections. I want to lob the thing in the garage- cold water only. Will it run happily with only the cold connected? Do I have to blank off the hot inlet? It's a Softwave 1100.

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
it should still work fine, but will be slower and cost more to run (as the internal heater will have to do all of the heating for the water).

Run it at a lower temperature, 30 degrees perhaps, as modern detergents work better at low temps than traditional ones.

Don't know about blanking off, we didn't connect hot water at first so didn't need to worry about that.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi Woz,
You used to be able to get a Y type outlet that you put on a cold water outlet so you can connect both of the inlet pipes. Should be able to get one at a good hardware store or suchlike. It should work but remember you'll use more electric as the machine will have to heat the water.
Doug

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've not had a hoover but most of the washers we have had have had hot and cold fill snd run fine as a cold fill only. Turn off the hot fill and run it before you move it just to check but it should be fine. I would blank off the hot fill inlet just to be safe. You might find under the top that there is a terminal to nowhere next to the terminal for the hot water infill valve and moving the lead over will stop the solenoid opening the valve. As an aside apparently cold fill cleans clothes better because the stains are softened by the cold water rather than set by an influx of hot water.

HTH,

David.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Might be worth running it with Calgon (or similar) if you live in a hard water area. We have a Miele and they dont recommend Calgon (ours is cold fill only) but I believe Calgon say they are Hoover recommended. Our previous machines have had to have the heater etc replaced after about 3 yrs due to our hard water, you might be luckier depending on water and useage (or less if you are mucky lot that hammer the washing machine!) ;)

As an aside we have a tumble dried that uses a condenser, so no exhaust pipe plumbing, its in the kitchen and I havent noticed the walls running with condensation, so I think it works well. Might mean the difference between having one or not as the 'traditional' sort require an external wall, or of course they soak everything in the garage with condensation.

Matt

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
As an aside we have a tumble dried that uses a condenser, so no exhaust pipe plumbing, its in the kitchen and I havent noticed the walls running with condensation, so I think it works well. Might mean the difference between having one or not as the 'traditional' sort require an external wall, or of course they soak everything in the garage with condensation.

Matt
Matt,

Don't forget to keep removing the fluff in the fluff trap, or the efficiency of the Tumbly Wumbly will reduce. :D

Dave C

·
Registered
767 Posts
We use a condensing "tumbly wumbly" as well and we don't have condensation problems. Also in winter when you use it most the heat stays in the house helping the heating situation rather than taking warm air from the house warming it further and pumping it outside.

David.

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
reds greens.. i need gaffa tape to hold my jaw shut...how many guys talking about a washing mashine do we need.........horror

David

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Interesting. All washing machines here can do a cold wash and cold water washing powder has been available in supermarkets, since we came 20 years ago.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Our Bosch WM is A rated and only has a cold water input. Plus Calgon has no ill effects on the washing...... ......I'm told :D

Just as well as our water comes in the house with knuckle dusters and an arm full of tatoos :D

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
A lot of the machines I was looking at when I replaced my w/m were cold feed only.

All machines will work on cold feed but as has been stated, the run time might increase (although not significantly) and running costs might increase by as much as 1/3 depending on the machine.

Why not run a hot water feed to the garage?

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
A lot of the machines I was looking at when I replaced my w/m were cold feed only.

All machines will work on cold feed but as has been stated, the run time might increase (although not significantly) and running costs might increase by as much as 1/3 depending on the machine.

Why not run a hot water feed to the garage?
A washing machine that uses cold water only, which stays cold for the wash - no heating required, only energy used is by the motor and the pump.

That's what AAAHHHM talking 'bout!

·
Registered
767 Posts
The cost of the hot water in the machine may not be all that different to using hot water feed, the hot water you supply has to be heated, maybe at a lower cost, but it is then piped to the machine with all the losses caused by heat loss in the piping.

David

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I can tell you for certain that the y-bend on the cold water fill will work.. and I know that because??? I have the very same issue here.. no warm water fill but machine thinks it needs it... it does not... cold water through both hoses...

So go ahead.. connect away..

B x

1 - 18 of 18 Posts