YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi,

Does anyone have any firm info on this. I have spoken to quite a few people, and heard a variety of ideas as to where in the lake it actually is and what it is. Has anyone on this list actually dived it?

Any info would be much apreciated.

Adam

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

First I've heard of this, but I reckon Andy Hayhurst would be the man to ask, after all the Lakes are rally just his "office"

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Andy has actually dived the bomber but would rather have hot needles forced into his retina before he'll give away it's location.. Although from what he tells me there's not that many that could reach it.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

I have dived a "bit of a plane" in Wastwater a few years ago. It is at the top end where the river flows in, there is a Youth hostel where you can park and walk down to the water.

It is quite far over, about three quarters of the way and about 100/150m from the inflowing river. There was only a bit of wing and a mostly covered engin block. Folk (whoever they are?) say that it was either a spitfire or a meshcersmitt that was damaged and couldn't make it out of the valley, hit the sides and broke up along the lake near the top end.

There were around eight of us in the water for about two hours finding this, take my advice, don't bother.

James  

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Hi,

The "bit of plane" to which you refer is the remains of a Hudson sea plane that sunk at anchor-not quite as romantic as a crashed messerschmidt-sorry.

The Hudsons were actually made at what is now White Cross Bay  Caravan Park on Windermere.

The bomber is reputed to lie somewhere further up the lake, but it's exact position is a mystery even to us "locals"! If anyone has dived it at first hand and is prepared to let us have the position, that would be a great help.

The log of lost aircraft accidents does not show anything that relates to this plane-still it is not complete...

Thanks for all your responses thus far.

Adam

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Hi again

There is reputed to be a crashed aircraft in one of the tarns near the top of the Rhynose pass-but I don't have any details on that either, and can't imagine that they could be that deep.

Still maybe worth someone investigating-they aren't that big either!

Adam

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Talking to one of the local historical aviation groups , theres a tale that at the end of WW2 "at least one" Catalina flying boat in Wastwater  from the US on lend lease it was scuttled in the lake in deep water. I was told that this was witnessed by locals at the time.  As far as I know the engine that was refered to is that of a Avenger, think it was built by Grummen a US company, discovered by local divers in the 1970's.

If you have a look at some of past threads we had a conversation previously about the Flying boats in windermere, If I understand it rightSunderland flying boats were built on the shores of the lake. Again a rumour that some were scuttled, i've since heard that they were not full aircraft.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Adam, White Cross Bay produced Sunderlands though local gossip states none actually flew. Apparently they did a nice line in cigarette lighters and other small saleable items.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adam @ Jan. 21 2004,20:37)]The "bit of plane" to which you refer is the remains of a Hudson sea plane that sunk at anchor-not quite as romantic as a crashed messerschmidt-sorry.
LOL

It's at times like this I am glad I tell it straight and don't try and scoop the glory for my self. What a Rodney I would have looked........but didn't!!!  

James

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>bleau tarn near haweswater is about 800m up and is supposed to be 50 + m deep. Only been dived once apparently. see that freshwater dive site, cant remember http...

the bomber is supposed to be directly across from the pinacles on the far side of the bank by the tree and the big boulder. Only problems:
Its at 70 ish meters.
You have to get all the gear to the otherside of the bank - Unlikely you could walk it even with sherpas, big surface swim and they dont allow boats on wast unless you can befriend the warden or the mountain rescue guys.

Guess you could do it if you had a scooter and zipped across james bond style but then you have to find it. Given how the lake drops to the deep from the gnome garden you could probably follow the line down to 60m head down to 70m and head out across. With good viz you should be able to see it. Nice long dive tho!

to me it sounds like a bit of a perfect urban myth. Reckon though if someone could approach it from a historical preservation point of view they could get permission from the lake owners to check it out. Just hope there are no remains or bombs on board! Wouldnt the RAF have records of downed planes.... surely it would not be hard to track down if u know what u are doing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the comments-I've heard a similar set of marks, but still can't see it and haven't been able to verify them.

The Lake at that point does not drop much below 75-and that is pretty well in the centre-I  haven't been on the other side, but as a glacially formed lake I would guess it's sides would be quite symetrical (but I may well be wrong!)

I have spoken to a few aviation and aircraft crash enthusiasts (!), and apparently there are no records (RAF or otherwise) of any planes misssing in the area, nor of a crash. They do always temper this by saying that the records are not complete...

I believe that the ban is on motorised boat traffic-you could paddle over to the other side, but it would rule out using any electronic trickery to try and find it. I must admit that given the other rumour that the plane is at the top end of the lake somewhere-trying to find it while diving is a bit needle in haystack!

Thanks again

Adam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Imported post

Hi All,

The Lockheed Hudson was a land based recc/bomber not a flying boat so would have sunk immediately it moored.

The wreckage between Whin Rigg and Illgill Head is from Grumman Avenger, JZ390 from No.763 Sqn which crashed into the scree on the 16th Jan 1945. The scree is littered with small wreckage but some ended up in Wastwater below.

Regards
Ross

1 - 15 of 15 Posts