YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
old member
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just recieved an e-mail from an old colleague and thought I had better post this on the list for your perusal.

I've only 30-40% of lung capacity due to aspergillus fumigata and related illnesses (you dont want to know). Caught it from my milton cleaned oms wings.... I only use milton and only use the wings in the north sea (normal depths 45-80m) but the lab in manchester said the bladder and especially the corrugate mouthpiece were thick with the fungi............. HASAW scientists taken it up and changing guidelines for their use. Have written a sensible article for diver mag but its not published yet.

Incidentally my USA dive buddy caught the same after a spell in costa rica. He was a consultant Dr and misdiagnosed it as pneumonia seems thats usually the case and untreated patients die frequently.

Wow!!!
John Thornton​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,575 Posts
I'm not in the habit of breathing from my wing, but I have been known to suck the remaining gas out if I needed to reduce my buoyancy a touch (for instance to add a tad more gas to my suit if I was getting a bit cold on deco). With that in mind I usually make sure I rinse the wing out thoroughly after a trip. I've even added a drop of bleach before now but haven't bothered doing that for a long time.

I do clean my counterlungs with Buddy Clean every month or so, but I reckon that's probably overkill in the UK. I'd be a bit more thorough if I was diving in warmer water or if I was diving again after a prolonged break.
 

·
rEvolutionary Diving
Joined
·
4,542 Posts
I do clean my counterlungs with Buddy Clean every month or so, but I reckon that's probably overkill in the UK. I'd be a bit more thorough if I was diving in warmer water or if I was diving again after a prolonged break.
I don't think that's often enough, I clean the counterlungs after every diving session eg done three days diving and not diving again for a few days then it's a full clean.

I bought a KISS once and took a few breaths to see if it held neg, I really thought I was going to die, my son had to call the hospital they thought it could be meningitis but it turned out it was a lung infection. Buddy clean lasts for ages and it's just not worth the risk for a saving of a few pence and 15 minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,661 Posts
I don't think that's often enough, I clean the counterlungs after every diving session eg done three days diving and not diving again for a few days then it's a full clean.
Same here, after every trip. I do flush the mouthpiece and hoses after every day, only because they come of the unit easy enough and I have a bottle of water handy.
 

·
It seemed like a good idea at the time...
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
I do clean my counterlungs with Buddy Clean every month or so, but I reckon that's probably overkill in the UK. I'd be a bit more thorough if I was diving in warmer water or if I was diving again after a prolonged break.
I rinse mine out with a trigene solution every time I change the scrubber, unless I'm away for the week or weekend in which case it gets done at the end of the trip. I know someone who gave themselves dysentry by rinsing his counterlungs out everyday using the water hose in the loos on an egyptian boat (he forgot what else it is used for!)
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top