1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this while browsing around a well known gadget website:

Waterproof Gadget Case | IWOOT

Allegedly, it's good for 40m...

Has anyone got one / tried one / heard of one?

If it works, perhaps this could be the way of using kindle on a smartphone to while away deco...?

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I had a similar case for a PDA, I think the 40m rating was more like a 40m watch rating than a 40m housing rating i.e. a bit generous, might survive dropping in a bucket. I never took it any depth as the plastic didn't look thick enough to not warp with pressure.

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thought that would be the case (no pun intended).

and why? because it is shiny and pointless!

·
Karlos or Karl
1,001 Posts
If it's only 40m (which I doubt) how are you going to use it to 'while away deco' to incur the worth of it on deco you will have been deeper I would suggest?

The touch screen is still function-able so therefore must be soft? More reason to doubt the waterproof claim, it's likely to be porous under pressure as the air space inside will compress effectively causing a vacuum sucking in water.

I have a similar product for my 'Jesus phone' but only use it on the rib for using V planner and as a back up communicator. I would not drop it in the sea to test it's integrity, let alone take it to 5bar!

The iriver case is rigid with a remote control for the phone/iPod.

My advice, Go old skool if you want to read on deco, take a cheap paperwork, just dont expect to take it back to the library!

Karl

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
My advice, Go old skool if you want to read on deco, take a cheap paperwork, just dont expect to take it back to the library!
That's what I do, charity shop books, estimate how many pages you will need for deco and rip that many out. Or get PDF's and print out how much you need, I did the reading for a distance learning course whilst hanging at 6m last year.

·
Waiting to see what happens
3,844 Posts
That's what I do, charity shop books, estimate how many pages you will need for deco and rip that many out. Or get PDF's and print out how much you need, I did the reading for a distance learning course whilst hanging at 6m last year.
Ooooh Ive got some of my gas accreditions up for renewel next near do u think they'll let me do the theory whilst on deco :D

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I find my MP3 player brilliant for long deco. I prefer spoken word stuff rather than over-playing my favourite choons. The Radio 4 6:30pm comedy programmes are brilliant for passing the time.

Janos
I recently got all Seven Harry Potter books on CD - you could spend days decoing on them :)

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I find my MP3 player brilliant for long deco. I prefer spoken word stuff rather than over-playing my favourite choons. The Radio 4 6:30pm comedy programmes are brilliant for passing the time.

Janos
I was listening to ISIHAC during the deco for my bend dive. I wasn't laughing at all. Not like I normally do for it. I've often wondered if that was a very subtle symptom. Or a duff episode!

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Leave it clipped to the lazy shot/trapeze
That's what I do with my 60m rated one. I use it as my 'tag' on the line. I have a terrible taste in music so no risk of it going missing!

Janos

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
I was listening to ISIHAC during the deco for my bend dive. I wasn't laughing at all. Not like I normally do for it. I've often wondered if that was a very subtle symptom. Or a duff episode!
I'm a Just-A-Minute guy myself. I'm tempted to see if I can get the subject of "decompression" or "the bends" on.

Janos

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so perhaps I should point out at this stage that my deepest dive for 5 years was 3.4 metres... For the short term future, I don't have much intention of racking up sufficient deco to merit such gadgetry, BUT having seen the doofer on IWOOT, I wondered idly if it was any good (answer: Probably Not) and whether it might be of interest to those who are blessed / daft enough to incur such deco (answer: it prompted discussions!)

On the R4 front, I am definitely a fan of everything on a Friday between World at One through to just before Gardeners' Qs starts. This used to be the sound track to my weekend commute and it kept me awake and alert all the way home many a time. I used to stay in the car to catch the end of Just a Minute more often than not!

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
There are other options with a better depth rating which you can use/carry for the whole dive.

Although there are a bit more wedge.

iDive300 seems to do the rounds on here

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
...Now i enjoy talking anytime, anywhere. I am just love in it.
ROTFL
He almost targeted his spam correctly.
He just missed the group name.
I'd give him a 6 out of 10

·
Registered
496 Posts
There are other options with a better depth rating which you can use/carry for the whole dive.

Although there are a bit more wedge.

iDive300 seems to do the rounds on here
There aren't any options at the moment as the iDive units have been discontinued. There is supposed to be a replacement in development. I haven't found anything to replace it yet. Functioning second hand ones are pretty scarce.

·
MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"??
3,737 Posts
There aren't any options at the moment as the iDive units have been discontinued. There is supposed to be a replacement in development. I haven't found anything to replace it yet. Functioning second hand ones are pretty scarce.

Rated to 40m and fairly new to market - iPhone Dive Computer | Scuba Diving iPhone Case, Dive Log (I should point out that this is NOT the "Scuba Capsule" that has been in development for about 4 years and is still nowhere to be seen - this is available now).

Available from Jim at I GILLS - Amphibian Sports

G

1 - 20 of 41 Posts