YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to set up another web site, a bit more professional than the freebies such as google.
My requirements are must be able to upload pictures, word, and pdf docs, possible mov files as well. It would also be good if i could add a counter, and get ths site added to search engines.
If at all possible it should be configurable to have a members area, via a password.
I also need to register a domain name, i see some sites do this as part of the yearly package.
The question is which service provider, and what software to use. I have had little luck getting any search engines to recognise my google web page, and wonder how best to resolve this with my new site.
Any help / general guidance would be gretefully appreciated.
Regards
Roger

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi,

I use HOSTGATOR WEB HOSTING - cPanel, Reseller, and Dedicated Website Hosting and have not had any problems with them at all. They have pretty competitive prices and they have live support, kind of like msn, where u click a button and it links you to their supporrt team to help you out. Ive not had a problem they havnt been able to sort, and it is 24hr too. It comes with a nifty control panel to help you set every thing up aswell. If you go for it and need some help send us a message and ill give you a hand.

Chris Middleton
aka student guy

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
What you want is something really simple that most hosting providers will offer so there's loads of options.

I use Gradwell (Gradwell dot com Limited) for my personal and dive club site. There are basic hosting or more advanced with php/sql.

·
Registered
45 Posts
we use 123-reg they do the damains and the hosting...I think I pay about £22 a year and £34 year for start up..

Also gives you uploads but I tend to use FTP..like terrapin or shoot FTP. :)

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
Hi,

I used to use DC-Hosting for my personal site, support is amazing from these guys. However, since starting the web design business I've switched to 1&1, it's just these guys were more competitive for my needs.

What you'll need, hosting-wise, is PHP/mySQL, and for what you're trying to do I'd suggest you install some open source software like Joomla. It'll let you create a website (actually you can do some pretty advanced stuff with it) with little coding knowledge (just a few brain cells :redface:). Web pages are kind of like creating posts on here ;)

EMail hosting will generally come with web site hosting. .co.uk's are generally £10 for 2 years (you usually buy these in 2 year blocks), and .com's are £10 per year. You may be able to find a hosting package which includes a free domain, I think 1&1's personal packages do.

If you've got any questions please feel free to PM me, Lloyd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts