YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all
Have been working hard on my dive club's website and wanted some feedback from others as to anything I may have forgotten, should remove or just plain doesn't look good!
It's all written in Dreamweaver,and I don't have any manuals or anything, so it was pretty much trial and error, but I think I've produced something half decent.
Any comments/observations/feedback gratefully received.

Dive Club Website

Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We have use of a three meter deep pool for pool training from 7.30PM to 9.30PM
You are bastards and I hate you. (2m for an hour here)

Mind you, you're quite nearby... do you do weekday dive trips..?

Opening up new windows instead of following links is fine when it's a link like the SAA web page, but you've also got the timetable doing it on the main page - accident, I assume?

Do you have a boat of your own or use charters? I can't tell from a quick glance.

Why isn't my website in your Links page?

Pretty good site - clear layout, easy to navigate, doesn't take long to load up. Not bad at all!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Hi Dom
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Opening up new windows instead of following links is fine when it's a link like the SAA web page, but you've also got the timetable doing it on the main page - accident, I assume?
I put that in there to see if anyone would spot it  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Do you have a boat of your own or use charters? I can't tell from a quick glance.
Can't afford our own boat - only BSAc clubs get lottery grants don't they!? But seriously, we use charters - mainly Dive 69's (Ewell), and Defender out of Littlehampton, Mistress out of Newhaven and Nauticat out of Brighton.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Why isn't my website in your Links page?
Ah, you spotted that - I wonder how long it'd take you  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Pretty good site - clear layout, easy to navigate, doesn't take long to load up. Not bad at all!
Thanks Dom, I've got to make a few small changes (like getting the date to show on each page, and of course changing the internal links to the same windows), so whilst I'm there, I'll add your site. I guess I should probably add YD as well - how naughty of me not to have already!
Cheers, and if you're ever short a dive buddy, give me a shout - I'm not even half hour away!
Martin

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MartinS @ Aug. 19 2003,14:23)]Can't afford our own boat - only BSAc clubs get lottery grants don't they!?
Martin

I'm not sure if the above was a joke, but SAA clubs can get lottery grants. The business of SAA clubs not being affiliated to the national governing body was sorted a couple of years ago.

Adrian

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I heard a vicious rumour that grants are on the way out of existence... anyone give that a yea or nay?

Besides, it's all the SAAs fault for not letting BSAC qualifications have a CMAS rating.

Dominic
(Dive Leader/2* CMAS diver card is on order
)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Adrian

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
I'm not sure if the above was a joke, but SAA clubs can get lottery grants. The business of SAA clubs not being affiliated to the national governing body was sorted a couple of years ago.
It was meant to be funny, but that's my SoH for you, i.e. it normally isn't!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Dive Leader/2* CMAS diver card is on order
Dom, forgot to say congrats on the promotion to DL - well done that man!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Martin,

In your Links section - where's the YD link?? Come on mate, get it sorted??

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]well done that man!
Ta!
Now I'm driven by the desire to be a five-star CMAS as well. They'll just have to create another grade

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]where's the YD link??
Why hasn't YD got a banner we can use to link? A proper bit of code and images we could use...

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Why hasn't YD got a banner we can use to link? A proper bit of code and images we could use...
Funny you should say that - I was thinking that myself earlier. Maybe we should request it be looked into - I'd much rather have a link to a banner (like DiveIndex and others do) - much easier, neater and more consistent across the web.
Bren - I'll sort it - honest!
Regards, and dive safe
Martin

Edit:
I have posted a request for a banner/logo in the information section - it'd be another great way of getting YD about even more.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MartinS @ Aug. 19 2003,12:25)]Hi all
Have been working hard on my dive club's website and wanted some feedback from others as to anything I may have forgotten, should remove or just plain doesn't look good!
<font color='#0000FF'>Hey Martin, I am no webmaster but I do produce letters and mailings for a living, I would suggest a small change to the font you are using.  I think you are using Times New Roman for some of the text, might be worth using something like Arial or Gill Sans, something a little easier on the eye.

Not a critisism just an observation.

Fiona

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

I made a point of having the important links like yours available on the site.  OK, so YD (and Dom's site) aren't on there yet, but will be in the next day or so.
Thanks for the offer of reciprocating - kindly accepted.
Regards
Martin

Edit: Have just finished the changes - changed the link Dom spotted, added YD and Dom's site to the links page, but didn't change the font - didn't like the sizing using Arial (DW doesn't use pitch, just it's own sizing and the difference in pitch between, say, 1 and 2, is quite a lot) so left it as is for the time being.
Thanks all for your comments, and if anyone else has anything to say, please feel free to contact me, either through YD or the website link.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Oooh, fame at last

I realy ought to get a proper links page going on my site - got a banner for YOUR webpage I can use?

The only thing I have so far is a non-diving one, will have to work on that...

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Dom
Don't have a banner - it's been a struggle to get the club to agree on a logo, which is in the process of being designed so once that's done, I'll have to sort one out.
Do you know how to create a banner than can be linked directly from the site (like the diveindex one does)?
I appreciate the reciprocal link - I guess it'll have to just be '69 Divers SAC' for the mo!
Cheers
Martin

·
Registered
104 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MartinS @ Aug. 19 2003,12:25)]Hi all
It's all written in Dreamweaver,and I don't have any manuals or anything, so it was pretty much trial and error, but I think I've produced something half decent.
Any comments/observations/feedback gratefully received.

Dive Club Website

Regards, and dive safe
Martin
Good site with useful links.  How did you get the bottles for the links?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I've got a proper logo for my website now - but it's in PNG format so I can't show it here.
Take a look if you're interested tho.
I'll adapt it into a banner when I've got a minute..

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

Dom

If you want to mail it the logo to me (preferably as a GIF), I'll update the links page appropriately.

Big Steph
Did a search for scuba images and found that one - if you want to mail me via the website link (on the Contacts page), I can send you the image.

Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts