YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

My weight belt takes shot bags in pockets and has a steel cable running through its entire length. However being fatter in the belly than the hips it has a tendency to slip slightly low, either during the dive or as I exit. So what I'm thinking of doing is making it into a harness type thingy by putting webbing around my neck with 2 clips (one at each end) that I can hook onto the wire. The clips will allow me to release the belt if I need to e.g. to hand up on a rib, but, will prevent the belt slipping over my snake hips and ending up on the Sea bed whilst I fly ever closer to the surface impersonating a Polaris missile.

OK the question is will this work?
Matt

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Hi Matt

Did you see the webbing I added to our weightbelts to let us wear them lower than our waists?  It was just two braces, crossed at the back with pinch clips in the front for releasing and for adjustment.

It does work, but not as well as a real harness - hence my eye being drawn by the RalfTech harness at the Dive show.  Didn't buy it but there is still time.  What was good about it was that it wasn't utilising that "thread thru" design for it's QR.

Cheers

Lou

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

You're going to tie your weight around your neck??

You could try the traditional approach to stopping belts slipping: Punch some holes in and thread bungee through. (You have it so when the belt is pulled straight, the bungee is stretching.) That way the belt is always pulling itself tight.

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Dom
the weight belt stays where it is supposed to i.e. around my waist but I have a second belt around the back of my neck and down my chest that hooks onto the wire so as to prevent slippage. Not sure I understand the bungee thing! Are you doing Anglesey.

Lou - no not seen it.

Apart from Dom's fear about a weight belt around the neck any other possible 'bad' things?

Matt

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Try this diagram. Basically, you thread bungee through the holes, so you have to stretch the bungee to make the webbing flat. This ensures that the belt is always tight.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Matt,

I have a spare harness shot belt if you want to try one at Anglesey.  

Let me know and I will bring it if you are interested.

Daz

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

daz
sounds like a top idea, you sure you dont own a dive shop, you seem to have everything I ever need.

Matt

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>No worries Matt I will bring it with me to Anglesey.

It might seem like I own a dive shop but I prefer to think of it as helping the diving retail industry...

Although as the owner of my local store has just bought a Merc ML320 I think I might have overdone it..  

Can I assume you will bring your own shot weights.. ?

Daz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts