YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Got meeself a shiny new drysuit on the way. Its gonna arrive a couple of days before I go diving in it for the first time.

Now, I'll be able to do a quick weight check in a pool before the dive, so my question is this.

Assuming I can do a weight check with a FULL 15ltr cylinder and in fresh water, how much weight will I then need to ADD to dive in the sea and compensate for the 15Ltr at 50 bar

[CueCoountdown music]

dum da dum de dum, dum da dum de dum

da, da, da, da, dadada

[/CueCountDownMusic]

Gareth

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

I'll go for around 6-8lb.

It's not as simple as you may think, different makes of cylinder have different wieght properties full/empty and different seas have varying salinity and therfor buyancy charachteristics. Don't even get me started on the baked beens wild card!

James  

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

There's an Excel spreadsheet that tells you the difference between heavy and full weights at diveweb.oneandoneis2.com/

It's about 4kg between full and empty.

For sea and freshwater - add 3KG ish for sea water.

Or be techie, and weight yourself when fully kitted up - suit, BCD, cylinders, lead, everything. Three percent of your total weight is what you need for the sea

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Mar. 25 2004,18:18)]Or be techie, and weight yourself when fully kitted up - suit, BCD, cylinders, lead, everything. Three percent of your total weight is what you need for the sea
<font color='#0000FF'>how does that work then, is it a guestemate, coz i cant understand how it would work

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>am i being thick

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Salt water is 3% denser than fresh, so you need to be 3% heavier to acheive neutral buoyancy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts