YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Usually Wrong
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally gotten off my backside and bought a weight belt so I could at last set up my weights exactly as I want them.
I then set to work casting weights of various sizes and shapes to go in the myriad of pockets I now have available for such things but am becoming overwhelmed by the options...

I'm on a single cylinder with a jacket style oceanic BC which allows for integrated weights.

My theory is that I should distribute the weight around a bit. Have some in the non-dumpable trim pouches high up on my back behind the shoulders, some more in the integrated pouches in front of the BC and the rest in the belt. I've got 5 non-movable pouches on the belt.

My goal would be to have comfortable positive bouyancy with little/no air in the BC as a result of dumping either the belt _or_ the integrated weights. That way a buddy that wasn't listening during buddy checks won't either leave me on the bottom or get dragged down by an unexpectadly heavy me :/ I'm actually not really a big fan of dumping weight except on the surface but that's a debate for another time ;)

With it all on my belt I have a tendancy to sit up in the water so am thinking I want to put more further up my body. Obviously more in the shoulders is a good start but how much? I don't want to overdo the amount of weight that I can't dump.
The intergrated weights are more comfortable for my back when climbing rocks and ladders etc but I don't want my BC to be stupidly heavy if I have the opportunity to hand up a weight belt first or have to kit up in the water (I don't really like handing up the integrated weight as they are kind of easy to drop and it's uncomfortable having one in and one out even for a short while).

Have done a search for this but come up blank.

Anyone got a good rule of thumb for ratios to start from? I can fine tune it myself but am a bit lost as to where I should even start.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Personally I would start with a couple of spare cam bands with weights on them and move them up and down on the cylinder until you find the balance points and then you can find the relative/relevant pockets on your BC to put the weight.

Or just keep the weights on the cam bands...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts