YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

looking for some feedback guys i am considering purchasing a harness weight system and am looking at the northern diver one in particular,I would appreciate any feedback on this system or any other system thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Imported post

I bought the ND weight system 2nd hadn as part of a load of kit. I haven't got round to using it yet ( roll on next weekend hopefully) although from just 'trying it on' it does seem more comfortable than a bog standard weight belt, but then at £60+ I guess it should....

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I have the Hydrotech. It comes in two versions, for shot and for block weights or shot pouches. I bought the one for block weights / shot pouches as I want to tbe able to use it on trips abroad. It's exceedingly comfortable. You don't know you're wearing lead. It's also very secure at the same time as being easy to dump or remove before climbing back into a RIB.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

I used a Northern Diver harness a few times, it was OK, but you need to use shot not solid weights.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

Two of my mates have the ND system and both of them have suffered broken plastic buckles on the shoulders. (Like weightbelt retainers). They've now replaced them with metal ones and are happy, but for me its a reason not to buy one.
Stu.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

My Hydrotech harness has plastic buckles too. I must have done about 150 dives with it and it's had some rough treatment (other weightblets thrown on top of it in the crate) but the buckles seem to be able to take a lot of punishment.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gibby @ Aug. 26 2003,12:41)]I've got block weights with my ND harness, they appear to sit comfortably enough on dry land.
So do mine (Hydrotech harness), even under water. I don't notice them at all.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

I've got the hydrotech shot harness (non removable lead) and it is absolutely superb - thouroughly recommend it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Imported post

Mostly Harness.

I use the Beaver harness, and I have been since they first came out.  You need to use the soft pouches as solid blocks slide and can dump the pouches for you-not good.

I personally hate the Hydrotech design.  The braces are attached to the belt by a steel wire that must be pulled out a long way to release them, and if the belt part of the harness has been over tightened then you have to release that as well.

With any of the harness designs it's important to try not to open and close the velcro too much as it will lose it's grip.  When rib diving in a drysuit you can easily get eonugh air in the drysuit to float without a BC and then undo the soulder strap to pass up the harness without dumping the weights.

As with all diving equipment, if you can try before you buy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Imported post

I finally got to use my kit at the weekend, I must say the harness system felt more comfortable than a weight belt, although I do need to make some adjustment in where the weight sits on me as it kept tipping me forwards.

On the whole I liked it....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts