YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

How much does 1l of air weigh?

I want to get my weighting sorted out with some new gear, make sure I can hold a stop with virtually empty tanks (15 + pony), that kind of thing.

Rather than trying to sort it out WITH empty tanks, I guess it would be easier to get my weighting right with full / part-full tanks (i.e. something to breathe while I'm fiddling about), then just add enough lead to compensate for the weight of the air in the tanks.

So I'm looking to do a calculation something like:

x litres * y bar * weight of 1 litre = amount I have to add

Does that make any kind of sense at all, or should I just try to do the weight check with as little air on board as possible?

Tom

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Imported post

Forget it, managed to find the figures myself.

0.001247 kg/l at 10c

Tom

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

Arse.

Finally, a topic comes up that I know something about, and instead of looking clever, I look like a muppet cos the fella finds out the answer, and posts it himself while I'm trying to work it out.

Heyho, Christmas is coming up, and I'll be spending it in Hull. (Although I have a trip to Sharm before that)

Laters,
   Janos

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Janos @ Dec. 04 2003,19:25)]Finally, a topic comes up that I know something about, and instead of looking clever,
Well, *I* was impressed anyway - you were right and didn't have to go look it up like I did! Thanks.

Gareth - yeah, that is a good site. BTW shouldn't you be on your way to 'Hull' by now as well?

Tom

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

But of course, for maximum versitality, you can always download MY cylinder buoyancy calcualtor, which is an Excel database that caters for mixed gases as well

Excel cylinder buoyancy

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Tom
bare in mind its all a bit hit and miss by calculating the weight you need. The 'best' way AIUI is to get 50 bar in the tanks and you should then be able to just see above water with no air in your suit/wing. That will enable you to hold a stop at 6m. It changes by about 2Kg for Sea water (you need more lead) in the UK, more in the Med. Then of course it changes if you change your kit. I'd suggest you also drain the pony, as this will affect your trim also.

Wraysbury is a good place to do this as you can leave weights lying around and probably not get them nicked. Failing that go in heavy and remove as required.

HTH
Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts