YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had a course to finish off for a friend, so as its the closest we decided to go to stoney cove, now in the past I have had nothing but good experiences off the staff at stoney esp the staff in shop and the rescue staff and they do a very good job, but the customer service training with the rest of the staff leaves a lot to be desired.

Problem one, I have two ccr tanks one labelled breathing air with no vip sticker and one correctly labelled oxygen, it took me three attempts to explain to the bottle monkey what I wanted in them. When I went to collect the bottles(45 mins later) the o2 had been done, but the air dil had not, this was more than taking the p**s in my book.

Problem two, sat in the pub running over some theory and having a general chat not all of us had drinks, but it was empty. The lad came over and asked if we wanted drinks, not everyone had a drink. Next minute, he came back over and asked whether and proceeded to claim were taking the p**s by running over the theory in the pub when we all didnt have drinks :angry: . My response was we have all paid entry to use the facilities at stoney, so whats the problem. This didnt meet his approval.

I was shocked, as a bsac club we put at least 15 divers in there a week most paying their £15 as they are trainees, and its the only suitable site for ocean divers nearby. I just really couldnt believe it, especially after the warm welcome we had at the ndac yesterday, stoney are really taking the biscuit and it would be nice if they could sort themselves out of course they have no incentive to as its always packed and this is our problem. Sorry for the rant but it really wound me up today, maybe it because I was sat in the car part at 620am.

Oh and it was good to see some YDers there today, BIG BUDDA and COPPERBAND.

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Did Copperband pass his OW then:p :p
Yeah think he did, its was his fourth time doing the course tho.
LMFAO

Wait till he starts doing rescue training :eek:mg:
;)

Oh, and I tend to prefer NDAC (Chepstow) and Vobster, and Wraysbury, of course :teeth:. Friendly, helpful, out of the water at a more reasonable time and you can still get food and drink if last out

·
Bashing head against brick wall
2,105 Posts
From my perspective you're right to complain about the fills taking that length of time but completely wrong about using the pub for a debrief. The pub is a commercial enterprise separate from the fee you pay to use the 'facilities' of stoney (thinking about the particularly crap changing rooms here!!).

If you wandered into a pub in Blackpool and sat yourselves down and took over the place without buying drinks you'd rightly expect to be thrown out on your ear. Why should the pub at stoney be any different. I accept it when you say that the pub was otherwise empty but that's his perogative, and I agree with his stance. Buy a beer or piss off.

That's why we debrief away from the place, the pub has never reallly appealed to me. :frown:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well put. Must be one of those that stand in W H Smiths and reads diver from cover to cover i know i do:embarassed: : I would like to know what grates more air fill or being promted to buy a drink (fluid intake is important) we also use other pubs and pluging a laptop in goes down a treat, so we don't go there.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From my perspective you're right to complain about the fills taking that length of time but completely wrong about using the pub for a debrief. The pub is a commercial enterprise separate from the fee you pay to use the 'facilities' of stoney (thinking about the particularly crap changing rooms here!!).

If you wandered into a pub in Blackpool and sat yourselves down and took over the place without buying drinks you'd rightly expect to be thrown out on your ear. Why should the pub at stoney be any different. I accept it when you say that the pub was otherwise empty but that's his perogative, and I agree with his stance. Buy a beer or piss off.

That's why we debrief away from the place, the pub has never reallly appealed to me. :frown:
I wouldn't have minded but two people out of four were drinking and I wanted to get things done then get a drink and food, as a result they lost business. The pub maybe a separate entity as you say but they are owned by the same people, on the website part of the facilities of stoney cove etc. We were on one of the little tables so we didnt exactly take over the place and if we had sat on the pubs benches outside I doubt we would have had the same experience. Its just a shame, I work part time as a manager at mcdonalds and I know full well if I spoke to customers like that I would be sacked.

Twin snorkels, its a good job you completed your course copperband because otherwise I wouldn't lend you kit anymore ;')

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
What snorkel do you recommend is best for a learner? I don't think I'm ready for a twin snorkels just yet.:embarassed:
Ok, i'd go for these two. Use the one on the right for normal day to day use, but if you have a problem, then it's common practice to deploy the yellow snorkel so that everyone knows something is wrong, and help will be on its way.......

View attachment 4176

ps, you're such a twat!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I wouldn't have minded but two people out of four were drinking and I wanted to get things done then get a drink and food, as a result they lost business. The pub maybe a separate entity as you say but they are owned by the same people, on the website part of the facilities of stoney cove etc. We were on one of the little tables so we didnt exactly take over the place and if we had sat on the pubs benches outside I doubt we would have had the same experience. Its just a shame, I work part time as a manager at mcdonalds and I know full well if I spoke to customers like that I would be sacked.

Twin snorkels, its a good job you completed your course copperband because otherwise I wouldn't lend you kit anymore ;')
Ah well ... working at McDonalds does give you some inside knowledge on crap customer service! :) I'm sure you're the exception to the rule though Ferg! :)

If you want to experience really grumpy crap service at an inland site may I suggest Crap 'n' Rainy. :frown:

Yours with a "Happy Meal",

Kev.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
If you want to experience really grumpy crap service at an inland site may I suggest Crap 'n' Rainy. :frown:
I've not been to Crappers, but I can sincerely recommend Guildenburgh for some truly miserable unhelpful rude staff :angry: The food is often rubbish too! How fcuking hard is it to make a decent bacon sandwich!?!?!?

Sorry, will try to stop ranting now... that place winds me up!

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
What snorkel do you recommend is best for a learner? I don't think I'm ready for a twin snorkels just yet.:embarassed:
hey paul ya cant beet twin white snorkels they come in different sizes including 12,.s lol!

ferg sorry to hear about the stress at stoney !although it was nice to meet up with ya and paul(copperband) today

best wishes leigh :teeth:

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Well Wraysbury staff are wonderful and helpful and knock up an excellent egg, cheese and bacon sarnie :D They also do fab evening meals with a nice pint of Dog :p

Vobster nosh is great too and Chepstow offer an excellent range

Maybe I'm just easily pleased :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Well Wraysbury staff are wonderful and helpful and knock up an excellent egg, cheese and bacon sarnie :D They also do fab evening meals with a nice pint of Dog :p

Vobster nosh is great too and Chepstow offer an excellent range

Maybe I'm just easily pleased :rolleyes:
I've not dived at Vobster but the people were really helpful and friendly when we went for a wander around.

Completely agree with you about Wraysbury and Chepstow though. Really good places!

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
As usual some interesting observations from you YDers! And now I've come out of the closet and no longer a Silent YDer, I'm going to say summit too!!!

Stoney. Been there a few times and even got bent there! Hey ho! I like diving there, they do a lovely cup of tea and a cracking bacon and egg bap. However I too have found the staff lacking in "friendly" skills! Not rude. Just not very chit-chatty. The young lad that's been doing the fills the few times I've been there hasn't bantered with me at all, and in fact almost blanked me. Yeah, if I looked like Dawn from Eastenders rather than Pat I guess he'd show me more interest, but still, I wasn't demanding, and was pleasant and friendly despite him blanking me completely. But I don't let things like that bother me. I'm polite and remember my manners, as my Mum taught me, and I'm there to dive with my good buddies!

I do agree about de-briefing in the pub. It is a business and not a warm place to write your bits and pieces up! Fair enough to do that if you're eating and drinking there. However there's no need for them to be rude. They could politely ask you to leave.

As for the other dive sites. Wraysbury. Their food is excellent. And I've always found them friendly and helpful. I was very saddened to hear that Kit died recently. He could be grumpy, but it was in a nice Victor Meldrew way. He was never rude with me and always stopped and chatted. I think he's sadly missed! The downside about Wraysbury is the MUD! The viz is so poor, even on a week day with no trainees there, that I refuse to go. Even to test new kit! Sorry Wraysbury! It's a great site, with great people, just a shame about the water!

Vobster! I LOVE IT!!! (Get the hint I like the place!) The atmosphere there is everything Stoney isn't (and I do LIKE Stoney, I promise!). The staff, the people who go, the diving, the food. There's nowt I don't like there! Even the girlie loos are good! OK, thinking about it, the shop leaves a little to be desired, but other than that I love the place. So much so I'm there next Saturday!!! :angel: For testing kit, practicing skills and just getting some diving in it's cracking for an inland site.

Fav place to dive, in general? Swanage!

Sorry, I've started so I've finished now! Just offering my two penny worth!

I'll go back to being a silent YDer again!?! :embarassed:

Um, what was this thread about again..........................

I'll get me coat.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.