YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to the west of Ireland either in the next few weeks or spring next year.

I remember reading somewhere about an operator that way that takes you out on his boat for the day and the evening is spent on land in a B&B, either on various islands or the mainland and the trip lasts 4-7days (as required)....does anyone have any idea about such operators or can anyone recommend any.

Sorry to be so vague but I thought I'd start here as YDivers is such a mine of info.

Apprecaite any help, pointers, websites etc etc.

Thanks.

Kinetic  

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Graham, I don't know which centre you mean but I've been to Waterworld 3 times and always enjoyed it, though I haven't been there for the last 3-4 years. The web address is http://www.waterworld.ie The centre is situated not far from Tralee, in very scenic surroundings, and there are plenty of sheltered sites if you are unlucky with the weather. The accommodation and food are very good and they have good boats – a hardboat and a couple of ribs. Ronnie and Pat Fitzgibbon and their sons and daughters are very hospitable and do their best to make your stay enjoyable.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

John,

Where haven't you been?

Many thanks for the pointer...I'll check the site out when I get home tonight.

Best regards.

Kinetic (Graham)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Well, I haven't been to Micronesia, Papua New Guinea, Galapagos, Cocos ........................................
Not to mention places closer to home, like Scapa Flow, Narvik Menorca, Malta/Gozo ................
I have been to a lot of wonderful places, though.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

John,

As I've said before, you MUST go to Micronesia.

I'll do you a deal....I'll do a trip report on Ireland by this time next year if you get one done on Palau. Don't forget, if you need pointers for Palau let me know...I've been twice.

Regards.

Graham

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Kinetic, Try Sean at Ballinskelligs.  He is very laidback but his boats are fine.  I did find it a little expensive diving on his daily rates but his all inclusive ferry, accommodation and diving packages work out quite reasonable.

We did two days with him in June and had a lovely time, even though we only had one dive at the Skelligs due to the weather!

Cheers

Lou

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Lou,

I'll have a hunt around tonight...unless you hae a website handy?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards.

Graham

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Cheers Phil, Lou and John.....I've got some good info now but if anyone else has any pointers I'd still love to hear.

Graham

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Well thirty of us went to Waterworld run by Ronnie Fitz-moron when he first openned his new accomodation block in 1997 and non of us would ever go back.

He made a mockerery of the famed 'Irish hospitality'

Being told to keep quiet at midnight by his wife when it was  only our crowd of divers staying was not cricket.

Along with being told that the sea was too rough to dive when it looked like a good day at the south coast, the missing O2 analiser which apeared on the last day, 10 ltr tanks when told he had 12s & 15s and so on...

·
Have You Seen My 'Demi-john'?
997 Posts
Imported post

totaly agree with diving dude same happened to our group last year  20 mins late for tea and told no more meals for rest of week wouldnt touch them with a barge pole did the same shallow dive site 8 times  limited to depth and 45 mins dives  try baltimore diving  cowlome bridge  largest wreck in europe

·
Registered
84 Posts
Imported post

John beat me to it as i was going to ask if any one has dived the kowloon bridge tanker near baltimore as trying to get a group from my club to go there.

baltimore

Regards,

MAL..

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Cheers for the input.....interesting to learn of some "bad experiences"

I'll bear that in mind and I appreciate comments good and bad...only way to make an informed decision.

Graham

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Yes like wise i've heard good reports from people who have dived with Scubadive West. Seems a top venue quite a drive if you go on the ferry though.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Well, that just shows how people's experience of the same place varies. The first time I went to Waterworld (September ´97) I took a group of 18 Swedes. We were unlucky with the weather: high winds and 5 metre waves (I kid you not!) all week but we didn't miss a single dive. The rides in the RIBs were an adventure though. The second time, I went on my own for a long weekend and the weather was perfect. The third time, again on my own for a long weekend, the weather was a carbon copy of the first time and, again, I didn't miss a dive. I'm amazed to hear they cancelled diving owing to the weather.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts