YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Aye up

I am a recently qualified open water diver ( PADI ) and have just come from Hols in southern spain, with fantastic diving.  I am having another holiday, this time in the UK in a few weeks time.

I am going to Hunstanton ( sunny hunny ) with my family for a couple of weeks and am trying to find any clubs who wouldn't mind me tagging along for a dive or two while I'm there.  I have tried to find such a club on't tinternet but so far have had little luck.  Does anyone know anybody in the Kings Lynne area or within spitting distance to it.  A far cry from the med but beggers can't be choosers.

Cheers all
Simon

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Hi Simon

Try dropping a line to this guy, James Holt, he runs a charter boat out from that area and will probably help you out:
[email protected]

Cheers Ron

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Simon,
most of the clubs in that area are BSAC, dont know of any PADI ones but there are a couple of very easy/good shore dives the Vera at cley next the sea and the Rossalee nr Sheringham.

I have dived with James he used to run out of Wells, put a search in on divernet and you will find a piece on Norfolk and contact details for the other charter boat that goes out from there Desert moon skipper "chicken" John Martin.

PM me if you want the directions for the shore dives.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Cheers peeps.  Thanks for your help.
Simon

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

I don`t think there is much in the way of diving off Hunstanton as it is very sandy and quite shallow all the way to Linclonshire!. I know people do dive out of Brancaster, Burham and Wells. There are only 2 charter boats I know of, desert moon (John Martin) running out of Blakeney Harbour and Mayflower (James Holt) running out of Wells.

You could try North Norfolk divers (www.norfolkdiver.com) They are a BSAC branch, and do most of their diving from RIBs. If you have only done PADI open water, they will probably not be too helpful I have to say as I guess at this time of the year most of their diving is further off shore.

Failing that, there is a PADI dive centre in gorleston, diversion I think it is called, run by someone called Peter Haynes I think

As Steve has said above though, the Vera is a nice dive (max 10m on high water, and the beach is nice for the family. The roslie, I haven`t dived it, but I hear it is good, it is off Weybourne beach, not Sheringham though.

In case you are wondering how I know quite a lot about diving round this area, I was brought up in Blakeney before moving north when I started my PhD at Leeds uni!

Paul

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Paul,

the Rosalee is a good dive, when I posted originally I couldn't think of the name Weybourne hence nr Sheringham.

Simon, for the Vera just follow the signs for beach and park as far to the right of the bird spotters cafe as you can over the hill and at low tide you can see the connecting rod.

For the Rosalee turn right by the spar shop again sign posted beach go to the end over the hill and at low water you can see a jagged piece breaking the surface.

Beware of fishermen at both sites and make sure you dive them at slack water.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Cheers peeps

Thanks for all the info, its much appreciated.  Lots there to keep me busy sorting for a while.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

BE CAREFUL...you've had some good advice above and I think the point was made that basic PADI may not be too welcome for some more difficult dives.

Many skippers won't even check your cards (they rely on you to be honest and not dive beyond your capabilities)...point being BSAC won't have you on a boat if there are any doubts but please don't rush into a dive you're not ready for. When I first qualified, and it was in cold and not warm water, i spent weeks (out of choice) in cold water before I went warm water diving....you've gone the other way round and I can only recommend caution.

Best regards and good diving.

G

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Aye up

NO, I actually qualified in cold water, in fact bloody freezing.  My first ow dives were at Stoney in Oct and the remaining dives in Nov at Capernwray!  When I mentioned the med I was talking about Holls, not actual training.  Thanks for the concern tho, its appreciated and taken note of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Beal @ July 13 2003,18:18)]Failing that, there is a PADI dive centre in gorleston, diversion I think it is called, run by someone called Peter Haynes I think

Sorry but this dive shop was brought out earlier this year and has since closed.

Your best bet is to go direct to the skippers etc. There are two dive shops in Norwich, which are well stocked and can fill cylinders, although neither dive locally.

I live in Norwich but haven't dived the coast (slack I know) its a whole day affair, because of the tides and distance to decent wrecks etc.

Sian

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I can come up  with a boat next season, if hired or more than 5 days.

Have got some charters planned from Lowestoft by regular customers.

If you would like more info, feel free to contact me     .

I'm also in the process of getting some leaflets printed for Lougi from this site.

Andy

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Hi all just to let you know there is a padi club that runs out from sutton bridge under the leadership of one Jeff Web. and the nerest BSAC club to Hunstanton is West Norfolk Sub Aqua Club. Which meats every Tuesday 7.30 at St. James Swimming Pool Kings Lynn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts