YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I am looking at taking a trip to WA, particularly Exmouth and Coral Bay to dive Ningaloo. Have read stuff about both areas and the diving in each, but what I'm having more trouble with, is finding out how to get between the two. The website for one of the dive shops in Exmouth says that hire car is the only way, but I'm sure I read something in a travel guide that said there was a bus between the two places. Does anyone know, have first hand up to date knowledge? Also, I am looking at going onto the Bungle Bungles (National Park further North), does anyone have any info about getting there from Exmouth (its a long way, and more than I would like to drive).

Many thanks.

·
Tinkering and a plethora of other pursuits...
881 Posts
I was there last July and dived with both Exmouth Diving Centre (good outfit but quite strict on checking logbooks) and Village Dive, who were as professional but more laid back. To dive the Ningaloo reef, they took us by bus round the tip of the cape and onto a hard boat to get at the reef. The other dives we did were at the Navy Pier, which I think is still closed (very enjoyable dive, especially at night!).

Here's a couple of links:
Exmouth Diving Centre
Village Dive Exmouth Ningaloo Reef

No idea about the northern are you mentioned i'm afraid. When are you going? In July, many sites were blown out with a large swell!
S.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Travel between Coral Bay and Exmouth used to be a pain but last time I was there you could take a taxi, a bus, hire a car. The coach (Greyhound or whatever) to/from Perth used to stop on the main road and the local mini bus would come out from Coral Bay to meet it. There are lots of ways - just arrange it when you are there - everyone is really helpful!! You might even get a lift off a local going that way. Exmouth Dive Centre has a branch, Ningaloo Reef Dive, in Coral Bay so they will have all the info you need.

Coral Bay is very different diving from Exmouth so worth the trip (it's only 150kms!!)

I went to the Bungle Bungles when I travelled in Australia and it was FAB - but a LONG LONG way from where you will be!! See this link Google Maps
for an idea of the scale!! For a more manageable trip try Karinjini - due east from Exmouth/Coral Bay - trips can probably be booked in Exmouth - great gorges and waterways - not on the scale of size or weirdness of Bungles but still pretty cool. But Bungles is a long way!!

·
New Member ? Its the same one i've always had
704 Posts
Personally, I've always driven myself so the following is only hearsay.

There are backpacker buses which run semi regularily up and around the major sites of WA. However, you don't get to choose the people that you are travelling with and sometimes democracy, (or mob rule,:) ), can change the itinery at short notice.
On the whole Australia is fully geared up to accomodate the desires of tourists and a lot of aussies will go a long way out of their way to help you out so there is almost always some way to get you where you want to be.

I've never done the Bungle Bungles but can thoroughly recommend Karanjini.

If you want to PM me a rough idea of your plans, dates etc i'll see what i can find out at this end for you.

Keith

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wa

Thanks for all the info guys, that's great. I have travelled Australia before, & thought it was odd that there wouldn't be transport between Coral Bay and Exmouth. Just nice to be sure before going all that way! Unfortunately this will be my shortest trip to Oz yet, just 3 wks, so keen to plan it as well as I can. I know Bungle Bungles is a long way from Exmouth, but I'm meeting a Australian friend out there, and we have wanted to go there for ages. I am happy to fly up there, but can't seem to find out if that's possible! If anyone has any info I would be grateful. BTW I am planning on going later this month!

Thanks again.

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
The Greyhound bus always used to come into Coral Bay itself. If you look at the website, there seems to be a service. Or cadge a lift. Or the other option is easyrider motor bike tours Harley Davidson Motorcycles Tours Sydney Australia Chauffeured Tours motorbike motor cycle motorcycle HOME which is a backpacker bus that goes up the west coast and you can get on and off it where you like.

Getting to the Bungle Bungles means getting to Kununarra. It's a long way and a lot of it is not very exciting unless you like iron ore mines. If you go with Skywest, you'll end up going back to Perth. Your other option is http://www.northwestregional.com.au/

Scenic flight over the Bungle Bungles is well worth the money.

Jason

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, I lived in Exmouth for 9 months, and transport is not the easiest between the two resorts. There are a couple of tours that may be of interest if you want to see the coastline between perth and Exmouth, the drive is quite dull! Check out Red Earth Safaris and Northern Exposure, they go twice weekly I think, and you can normally jump on and off so could stop in Coral Bay and go on to Exmouth. Depending on the time of year, stop in Coral Bay for Mantas as there is a resident population. I don't think the greyhound bus goes to coral bay. Another option is fly to Exmouth and hire a car to go down to Coral Bay and back, it's about 1.5 hours drive. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ningaloo Reef -Coral Bay & Exmouth

Thanks to everyone for their help and info, been really useful. I have just booked my internal flights, will confirm the international ones tomorrow and leave next Thursday!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exmouth & Coral Bay

Flights all booked. Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations about places to stay in Exmouth and/or Coral Bay. I know its a busy time there at the moment, so I thought probably best I book at least a few days before I leave the UK. Grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
Flights all booked. Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations about places to stay in Exmouth and/or Coral Bay. I know its a busy time there at the moment, so I thought probably best I book at least a few days before I leave the UK. Grateful for any advice.
In Exmouth, I stayed at the Potshot. They've got a couple of pools, one of the only two pubs in town and a variety of accommodation for most budgets.

Coral Bay was a bit limited when I was there. I think there's more choice now.

Jason

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ningaloo Reef -Coral Bay & Exmouth

Just had a recommendation to take a 5mm suit to Ningaloo this month. I thought a 3mm a tthis time of year was fine, that what the website for one of the dive shops there recommends. Anyone no more about the water temperature there at the moment.

Many thanks

·
Tinkering and a plethora of other pursuits...
881 Posts
Potshot resort is about the best in Exmouth - the other ones were OK but if I went again (and I hope to) we'd go for the apartment. The Sea Urchin Cafe in Exmouth was really nice too!
S.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In Exmouth stay at the Potshot hotel - it is right next to Exmouth Dive centre - good dive operation! In Coral Bay last time I was there I stayed at the Youth Hostel - perfectly good for a bed for the night and cheap but there is a hotel (whose name I cannot remember :embarassed: ) but if you are starting in Exmouth get the guys from EDC to help as they have a branch in Coral Bay - Ningaloo Reef Dive - so will have all the info on hotel etc.
Enjoy!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts