YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

My primary regulator is an Aqua Lung Glacier which I've never been very impressed with, as its never given a nice easy breath which becomes even worse at depth, but now it's also becoming wet, I noticed last week in Abbs that slowly throughout the dive my mouth was collecting water which I had to keep forcing out by giving an almighty exhale only for it to start all over again.

Now although I've never been happy with it for the initial reason discussed its always been dry up until now, any ideas on why its starting to let in water?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Davey bhoy,

If your reg is letting in water then my first guess would be the seating of the exhaust valve. Soak the thing in a bucket of fresh for an hour or so and then rinse.

If it is still wet then you are getting into reg stripping territory to find out why.... Best seek an expert....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

I always do Drift, after a dive I put both regs back on the cylinder, turn it on and then leave the second stages in a bucket of fresh water for an hour or two usually combined with a good purging through.

I was talking to the guy at my LDS and he reckons that its due a service as it's now done about 50 dives (he may be right) but as he's gonna charge about £40 for it I'm not confidant of taking his word for it.

Should regs be serviced after 50 dives?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Last time I had a wet breathing reg, it was the mouthpiece causing the problem.
If a reg can't do 50 dives without needing servicing, dump it in the bin and get a decent one.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Thanks Dom

I felt that a reg should be able to do a lot more than 50 dives especially as I look after it and make sure its well cleaned after every outing.

I'll give the mouthpiece a good looking over tonight

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

Call me oldfashioned but..... if your having trouble with your regulator then get it serviced... after all Dave, your LIFE depends on it! I don't know about the UK but here in Holland its a normal thing here to get your gear serviced every year! (needed or not).....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Dave .. the diaphram is probably perished/degraded sooner than it should have.. lay off the lager and garlic combination now !!!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

Ok I'll knock the garlic on the head but I'll breath 50% sea water before I'll give up me lager...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

A service after 50 dives seems a bit early to me as well Dave. If it needs work to remedy the problem after only 50 dives should be doing it for nought or very cheap. Mine done once a year.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

Just put in a new exhaust valve and adjust the demand valve so it breathes with less resistance. And while you have it appart anyway chek the diaphram on the purge for punktures, the normaly apear near the plate that presses on the lever from the demandvalve.
failing that come down to our place and I´ll show you how it is done. ;-)
Michael

1 - 14 of 14 Posts