YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all ,
Doing some drills in the pool last night and after an hour igot out and found my feet was full(cup full in each) of water in the drysuit.i am not sure where it came in but i do not think it is the seals but one thing i do is once i get in the water (surface) i open the neck seal to let out all excess air but i was also was p**sing about with it under water as it snagged some of my hairy neck .When i got out there was a little in the arms but i am not to sure if it was sweat or water migrating.I have a si tech auto dump on left shoulder which again i was messing about with which i think might be the culprit ,is there an easy way of stripping down and cleaning said valve or is it best took to a pro. I am hoping to go diving this weekend so really want to be cofidant that the suit is ok before jumping into 5 c water.

Regards ,

MAL...

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Imported post

I think your best taking it to your local dive shop and get them to pressure test it for you.  That way you will know where the leaks are if any…  You can then make the decision on what do about it..  I’ve just had my zip replaced £130.00 pound later..

Sean

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

When I bought my suit I did some tests in the pool and was advised beforehand that it 'might' leak, apparently it is not uncommon in shallow water (2m) because the seals dont have enough pressure on them, could be rubbish, dont know, mine didnt leak, just made me sweat. Is yours a new suit, if so I'd expect it to be 'dry' and your games might have been what caused it. I'd suggest you do some shallow dives with it first, granny to suck eggs time, just to be sure and take some dry clothes just in case!
HTH
Matt

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Try getting rid of the excess air before you get in the water:-bunch up your arms to your body,the squat down till your backside touches your heels,keeping you arms tucked in.Try to do this in one fluid movement,then reach up and pull the neckseal away slightly,"squeeze"your limbs together and you'll hear/feel the air be expelled,let the seal go.
You'll now have a virtually air free suit,(should take about 2 secs) and you don't have to mess about at the surface where you really don't want to be,trying to get rid of it and having a chance of taking some wet stuff in.You may even find that you have to add a little air,especially in a membrane type to regain some comfort till you're underway.
There's a thread somewhere recently on checking for leaks but here's a quick way(not definative,but handy).Next opportunity,(it'll only take a couple of minutes) ie.pool or divesite,inflate your suit as much as possible,then either get a friend(be selective here  
) to rub some fairy liquid etc over you(lie in the water to help)and look for the bubbles.You can do it by just lying in the water and have them observing altough you may need help rolling onto your face etc.This generally shows up most obvious leaks,and you don't have to bugger about sealing your suit.
The valve can be stripped easily,just unscrew it and check no debris/muck is under the rubber diaphragm(the most common causal factor) "reassembly is the reverse of dismantling" to quote Haynes,but be carefull not to crossthread anything.
Are you not in a club or have any Buddies with experience of these things who could show you?
HTH,Hobby.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks for advice,
The suit is relatively new ,i had the boots changed a couple of months ago and it was pressure tested then and all the seals are in good condition so i can only see it being me messing about or the dump valve as i have always come out bone dry before.Hobby i always do as you stated but when in pool i just open the seal on neck to get that last little bit of air out but not in open water as wearing gloves and hood ,may be bad practice !!.I'll have a look at the valve and then do a test dive to see if it leaks again.

Regards,

MAL..

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

It's unlikely to be the dump valve in my experience. I'd be willing to bet that the leak is from the neck seal. The water then collects at the lowest point, i.e. under your stomach, and runs down into your boots when you adopt a vertical position. I've had this happen a couple of times. If the neck seal is long enough, try folding it inwards a couple of centimetres. Excess air will then collect at the neck and form a ring-shaped balloon instead of leaking out and letting water in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts