YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi Guys,

I have asked this question on many forums and am just trying to work out what the best course of action will be.

I plan on diving in Sharm at the start of march for one week, it will be 2 dives a day.

I currently have a 3mm Shadow Titanium 3mm 1 Piece, after reading many sites I realise this may not be enough for that time of year. Should I purchase a 5mm wetsuit or should I purchase Shadow Titanium 3mm Shorty to wear over the top of my full suit? (giving me 6mm round the chest).

Would I notice the difference if my legs and arms were only 3mm and the chest was 6mm?

Cheers
Adam

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
Imported post

Depends on whether or not you feel the cold  

I dont and I did a March Livaboard wearing a 5mm one piece and was comfortable. Water temp was 22 degrees and air temp was between 18 and 22 degrees although it felt colder in the wind.

3mm is possibly a bit thin for that time of year, the Shadow shorty over your existing 3mm is a good compromise which I have seen many people use successfully.

Let us know how you get on

Regards

David

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Dawn and I were there in April and took 3mm full suits. If needed we also took a 3mm shortie and the 7mm semi dry waistcoat from my beaver suit but were fine most of the time in just the 3mm suits. As David said though it's all about whether you feel the cold or not.

HTH

Noel

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Skipper @ Dec. 28 2003,23:55)]Depends on whether or not you feel the cold  

I dont and I did a March Livaboard wearing a 5mm one piece and was comfortable. Water temp was 22 degrees and air temp was between 18 and 22 degrees although it felt colder in the wind.

3mm is possibly a bit thin for that time of year, the Shadow shorty over your existing 3mm is a good compromise which I have seen many people use successfully.

Let us know how you get on

Regards

David
I agree with David, take a 5mm! 3mm is more suited to water temps of approx. 25C. At 20-22C you will want the extra 2mm. Take in to account that you will more than likely be doing daily multiple dives.

just my $0.02
moray

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

I did my initial open water dives In Sharm at the end of march this year. I was diving in the school's 5mm 3/4 suit (was old and probably closer to 3mm) and was ok for the 30'ish min qualifying dives but once I got onto longer dives I found a full suit much more comfortable.

Simon A

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>While in sharm last March myself (got a good deal due to gulf war), I took my 2piece semi-dry. Personally I thought on the longer dives >45m it was required. Also took a rash vest to use with the bottom half, but found this a little too cold.

gareth

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>How about trying some of Reed's Chillcheater clothing to combine with your 3mm? It's very thin and lightweight (so great when packing your bags) but provides thermal protection equivalent to 3mm of neoprene. It's less bouyant as well, so you should be able to keep your weight down.

Find it on www.chillcheater.com

It's the future of diving! (Just don't let anyone come near you with a camera!)

[For pity's sake Gavin, don't post it again!]

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

Mark,

do you know how the Chillcheater stuff compares to Fourth Elements similar (Thermocline, I think) stuff?  I was thinking of getting some to wear under my wetsuit for the red sea in week and bits time.

Chillcheater seems a lot cheaper

dan.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

thanks for the replys guys,

So far my options are

Oceanic 3mm (which I already own) + 3mm Shorty (£52, might be a little over bouyant)
Oceanic 5mm escape (£145)
Oceanic 3mm (which I already own) + chillcheater stuff (£100)

Guess i'll start saving my pennys and see what I can afford nearer the time, my main reason for going with Oceanic is because i find their wetsuits to be comftable and not too brightly coloured.

Adam

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Dan,

I haven't used the Fourth Element stuff so can't give you a comparison. All I can say is that I was more than happy with the Chillcheater when I used it in the Red Sea for the first time in November. And besides that, their service is astounding! You can order on-line and everything is made to measure, based on measurements you take yourself. I put my order in at about 4.00pm on a Wednesday night and my clothing arrived at 7.30am on Thursday! Unbelievable!

Adam,

I see you've put £100 for the Chillcheater above. Were you thinking of the full suit? As an alternative I got the short-john and the T-shirt at £50 each (ish). This gives even more flexibility with the option of 3 layers (equivalent to 9mm neoprene) over the torso. This should be enough for anything.

I've put in a full review in this section earlier in the year if you want more information. Unfortunately some bastard insists on posting a picture of me modelling the stuff at every opportunity, so you'll have to endure that! One spin off is that you get to be voted the biggest pervert on YD!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

Cheers Mark.  That's quite impressive customer service.  I think I'll give them a try.

dan.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

I have been to Hurghada in Febuary and I used my Scubapro 5mm, my advise to you is go for the 5mm, you will need it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imported post

I ended up getting the Oceanic Shadow Titanium 5mm 3 Piece.

I got the smallest size and it fits me perfectly in every way apart it being about 1 inch to long(it goes down to just under my ankles) will this be a problem in the water?. I tried to put the boots on but got to hot before I got that far (took me ages to get the damn suit on).

Being a short arse never helps but I am hoping this inch wont be too much of a problem.

Cheers
Adam

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adamsh @ Jan. 03 2004,19:15)]I got the smallest size and it fits me perfectly in every way apart it being about 1 inch to long(it goes down to just under my ankles) will this be a problem in the water?.
I've got one of these, and have used it (without the shorty) in water temps varying from 15 to 27c. I think it's a pretty good suit. I've also seen someone use one and be comfortable in 10c water.

The inner (silverskin) layer at the ankle should just tuck inside your boot, and the outer (neoprene) will go on the outside - can't see there being a problem, and if there is you can just leave the zip slightly open (i.e. pull it down as far as it goes).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts