YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Do DIR boys ever use wetsuits? I'd just not seen a photo with a DIRty boy wearing one. I suppose most of their dives are too rufty-tufty to be using a 3mm shortie.

If they do dive wetsuits, is it double-bladdered wings?

God, I think I've opened a can of worms here. There must be situations where a drysuit is wholly inappropriate, surely? I suppose it's cold in their lovely caves. Then again, they advoacate using DIR kit for open water.

Sorry if the DIR guys are getting peed with all these posts in one day. Just occured to me as I was on the stroke-o-meter.

Thanks for any help,

Digs.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Yes, they do.
Double-bladders are for strokes tho.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ June 24 2003,16:11)]Do DIR boys ever use wetsuits? I'd just not seen a photo with a DIRty boy wearing one. I suppose most of their dives are too rufty-tufty to be using a 3mm shortie.
Yes wetsuits can be used.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
If they do dive wetsuits, is it double-bladdered wings?
No, double bladdered wings are never used.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
God, I think I've opened a can of worms here. There must be situations where a drysuit is wholly inappropriate, surely? I suppose it's cold in their lovely caves. Then again, they advoacate using DIR kit for open water.

Sorry if the DIR guys are getting peed with all these posts in one day. Just occured to me as I was on the stroke-o-meter.

Thanks for any help,

Digs.
HTH
Rob.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Pretty sure it is accepted.  

I seem to remember reading something about wetsuits being used for warm water with some caveat about aluminium cylinders being used instead of steel (Something about them becoming positive bouyant - so does that count as their redundant method of lift  
)

Daz

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ June 24 2003,16:16)]Pretty sure it is accepted.  

I seem to remember reading something about wetsuits being used for warm water with some caveat about aluminium cylinders being used instead of steel (Something about them becoming positive bouyant - so does that count as their redundant method of lift  
)

Daz
It all comes down to having a balanced rig. Heavy Steel doubles with a wetsuit generally mean that the rig isn't balanced which is why their use isn't recommended

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do DIR boys ever use wetsuits?
Yes
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If they do dive wetsuits, is it double-bladdered wings?
Nope, Ali tanks should be used when diving a wetsuit (for a balanced rig). Twin bladder wings are not DIR.

HTH

Mark  

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Why arent twin bladder wings acceptable, this isnt a troll for a punch up, just would like to know.

Matt

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ June 24 2003,16:25)]Why arent twin bladder wings acceptable, this isnt a troll for a punch up, just would like to know.

Matt
I suppose the question is, why do you need them?

If you have a balanced rig, you don't need a redundant second bladder. If you have one, you have another inflate to worry about, and more hoses. Some will advocate using a double bladder with a disconnected inflate and then connect it up when things go wrong. Just more fiddling around when you least need it.

If you have two bladders encased in the same bag, what are the chances of only one of them getting punctured when you run into that bit of sharp wreck?

IMO If you feel you _really_ need backup buoyancy make it a completley seperate device and use a drysuit.

HTH
Rob.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Failure points, cluttered front, and the other bladder can inflate slowly without you realising it making you unavaoidably bouyant cos you don't know what's going on. Oh, and there should be no need for it with a blanced rig.

Or something.

Who cares, anyway, I've got a week off starting in an hour

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ June 24 2003,16:25)]Why arent twin bladder wings acceptable?
<font color='#0000FF'>Because they are not required if you make the correct gear selection in the first place. It's as simple as that. Plus they add some aditional failure points which can be avoided with the proper gear selection.

Steel tanks - dry suit - single bladder wing.
Ali tanks - wet suit - single bladder wing.

HTH

Mark.

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Cheers guys,
Dom I thought were a student, whatever, have a good one, you diving during the week off?

Matt

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Nah, graduated a few years ago.

Won't be diving - I'm taking the time off to move home, so I've got a lot of packing to do.

Besides, cylinders are in for test.

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Night time is best for packing as its cooler, rent a cylinder and go diving is an option.

Hope the move goes well, thats the enormous deposit you were talking about on another thread I assume. You anywhere near Crawley, I see you are a member of Crawley BSAC from your website (the link doesnt work by the way).

Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts