YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Merchant Royal

The Merchant Royal was a British cargo steamer, formerly known as the Goodwood. She was 5.008 tons, 416ft long and had a beam of 55ft. She was built in 1920 by J Redhead & Sons at Sunderland and was fitted with a huge Doxford triple-expansion three-cylinder steam engine. On the 3rd July 1946, carrying her cargo of steel and wood, she collided with another vessel and sank. Attempts to rescue her by tugs despatched from Portland were in vain.

She lies in about 57 metres of water with her bows blown off but her mid section and stern are upright, listing heavily to starboard.

I've been speaking with Smudge again at Scimitar Diving :)

Excellent tides for another headline wreck out of Weymouth

Ideally 8 as a min due to distance, 10 max due to kit. Cost £40 inc lunch. Usual YD Trip rules; you say, you pay.

Loading from 11:00, ropes off 11:55 for the 12:00 bridge

1. warmwaterdiver
2. milldog
3. nickb
4. John Touhig
5. Paul Duckworth - full payment via May 7 refund give to Smudge
6. GLOC
7. Howard Payne - full payment via May 7 refund
8. JasonP - full payment via May 6/7 refund taken as deposit on Aug Falm
9. Louise - full payment via May 6/7 refund part refund to me (overpayment May Plym) part extra credit on Aug Falm

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Same old faces :)

just hope spidermans ready for this .......... or was it the beer the night before :D

Graham

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
nope I called the dive not Paul...

Its gotta be more interesting than a hole in the seabed... :)
OI theres nothing wrong with my hole :)

warmwaterdiver said:
we might even let you get in first John

it was Graham that pulled the shot off the wreck, ooops sorry mate
Today 02:47 PM
mates like you eh :frown:

i want the serial numbers of my VR3's back :)

Graham

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. warmwaterdiver
2. milldog
3. nickb
4. John Touhig
5. Paul Duckworth

any more before I hand the spaces back to Smudge on Wednesday?

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
1. warmwaterdiver
2. milldog
3. nickb
4. John Touhig
5. Paul Duckworth
6. GLOC (TBC)
7. Garf (TBC)
8. Howard (TBC)

Gary, I will check with the rest of the Chimps and see what they say. Get back to you before COP today.

Regards

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Yup :)

1. warmwaterdiver
2. milldog
3. nickb
4. John Touhig
5. Paul Duckworth
6. GLOC
7. Howard (PITA carnivore)
8. JasonP
9. Louise (PITA veggie)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1. warmwaterdiver
2. milldog
3. nickb
4. John Touhig
5. Paul Duckworth
6. GLOC
7. Howard
8. JasonP
9. Louise
10. SPACE

·
Portland dive charter
595 Posts
Change Of Loading & Pick Up Point!!!!

Hi All,

Trying to get hold of Gary at the moment to let him know as well but thought it best to get the word out ASAP. Forget what was said before regarding leave times and pick up points as I must have been looking at the wrong date, year, country tide tables!!!
Slack for the merchant Royal on that day is just after nine so we will be leaving at 07:30 prompt from the Weymouth and Portland sailing academy pontoons who have kindly allowed us load/unload for Monday only, as there is a carnival happening down in Weymouth harbour and unloading may be an issue when we get back.
Please pass it around everyone else on the trip. We will be down at the sailing academy pontoons from around 06:30am which gives everyone plenty of time to sort out kit loading & parking etc. As its an early start and I cocked up the timings I will even throw in a bacon butty in so we can have breakfast on the way.
All day parking at the sailing academy costs £4.25 so just give us a call or drop me a pm if you need a parking pass and I will give it to you when you drop of your kit.
Sorry for the cock up with the timimgs.
Best regards
Smudge

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Sorry guys but I'll have to pull out of this one. It was conditional on a late start for me as I didn't want to do an overnight stay in Weymouth.

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Mmm tis a bit of a killer start time - I'll speak to Gloc

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Is the later slack not do-able?

·
Rapidly expanding member
285 Posts
If anyone needs it I have space for one more in my house on Sunday night which is on Portland - small contribution of £15 to the mortgage fund - rather than getting up at the crack of dawn.
Cheers
Jules

1 - 20 of 40 Posts