YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Albert is getting annoyed
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 0610 flight from Cardiff airport Monday morning and I'm diving this weekend. Almost certainly going to end up in deco on the Sunday morning dive, might not in the second dive of the day....

Am I going to bubble on the plane?????

DAN recon at least 18hrs - If I surface from the morning's dive at 11 ish, I'll be 18hrs and 10mins so should be ok, then if I don't go into deco on number 2, Ill have about 14hrs surface interval. Recon I should skip the second dive of the day?

Any advice would be welcomed! Thanks everyone!

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Recon I should skip the second dive of the day?
You already know the answer but just in case YES and frankly I'd be cautious about doing the 1st one.
My 2p

·
Off to T.D.F.
695 Posts
I've got a 0610 flight from Cardiff airport Monday morning and I'm diving this weekend. Almost certainly going to end up in deco on the Sunday morning dive, might not in the second dive of the day....

Am I going to bubble on the plane?????

DAN recon at least 18hrs - If I surface from the morning's dive at 11 ish, I'll be 18hrs and 10mins so should be ok, then if I don't go into deco on number 2, Ill have about 14hrs surface interval. Recon I should skip the second dive of the day?

Any advice would be welcomed! Thanks everyone!
So anecdotes would be preferred to the advice of an organisation that does scientific research into these things?

If it helps concentrate the mind, consider that if you do bubble, not only will you have potentially crippling injuries, but also a very large bill from the airline for knowingly flying against medical advice and causing a diversion...

·
Albert is getting annoyed
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So anecdotes would be preferred to the advice of an organisation that does scientific research into these things?

If it helps concentrate the mind, consider that if you do bubble, not only will you have potentially crippling injuries, but also a very large bill from the airline for knowingly flying against medical advice and causing a diversion...
To quote DAN:

For dives requiring decompression stops, there is little evidence on which to base a recommendation and a preflight surface interval substantially longer than 18 hours appears prudent.

Hence my interest and asking buddy. But as Peebee says, I already knew than answer.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Yeah, go out for a nice boat trip and be cabin boy for the day.

While it would be quite easy to mitigate the risks by not doing deco,
not doing 2nd dive etc. the bottom line is this is just a dumb move.

Much better to just not dive.

·
Partly Worn
2,799 Posts
I'm fairly sure the original US Navy tables are much less restrictive but can't be @rsed to check.

Go for it - but don't forget your trip report in "I learned about diving from that" :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts