YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

The 4th HMS WARRIOR was a 1266 ton Yacht built in Troon for F W Vanderbilt in 1904. Launched as WARRIOR she was renamed GIOZEKA ISARRA (MORNING STAR) when she was bought by Sir Ramon De La Sota of Bilbao in 1920. During the Spanish Civil War she was used by the Basque Government sailing between Spanish and French Biscay ports carrying refugees and wounded Spanish children. In 1937 she was purchased by Sir Hugo Cunliffe-Owen and reverted to the name WARRIOR. In World War II she was commissioned as HMS WARRIOR II and fitted with 2 x 12 pdr guns.

This was an armed luxury steam yacht which had already survived World War One but on 11 July 1940 she was sunk, with one fatality, by air attack off Start Point in the Channel. The vessel was dive-bombed and machine-gunned and finally went down about ten miles south-east of Grove Point in about 55m

OK I've spoken with Smudge of Scimitar Diving

Loading from 11:00, ropes off 11:55 for the 12:00 bridge

Cost is £40
Minimum number 8 due to distance, maximum 10 due to all the kit milldog takes :)

1. warmwaterdiver
2. milldog (with unfinished business!)
3. Okeanos
4. nickb
5. tootricky

·
life is too short
1,987 Posts
I'm guessing the shallowest parts of the wreck are still gonna be more than 50m?

·
beyond a mid-life crises into complete insanity!
1,394 Posts
I'm guessing the shallowest parts of the wreck are still gonna be more than 50m?
I got 54m on Tues without going right to the sea bed.

The vis was shite so its hard to say exactly - but the wreck seemed pretty flat to me. Not more than a few metres proud

Its a dive I would love to do again though

·
beyond a mid-life crises into complete insanity!
1,394 Posts
Interested very

Buddy out the country - again :frown:

oh and I'm skint lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I've spoken with Smudge tonight and we're on for this (subject to weather obviously) as he may have a couple of local divers interested but theres still space for a buddy pair/team of three if anyone is interested

Times as in post one

1 - 14 of 14 Posts