YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Tim's previous post got me a thinkin!

I know Christmas is coming - and with it some stonkin parties! -, but what about everyone chipping in some sheckles and buying a RIB, one, for the Troop use of??

Doesn't have to be new - although would prefer - and we could see who's got the room/space to dock her when not in use?! We could get the fair Fiona (that's Gav's, not mine) to come down and Christen her (bottle of bubbly etc.) across the bows and job's a goodun.

Anyone have a scooby about prices for the beast? This would make trips to Treaddur Bay and other NE sites a doddle. Be a bit tough gettting it through the tunnel at Hodge though?

We could get it after Christmas, after we all know just how much gelt we've all got left to spend. All have equal ownership of the 'MV Hand-cuffs' (sorry Dave) and if we're unshore as to how to go about it, ask Fi (that's Gav's, not mine) if she might oversee matters in drawing up the requisite docs of shared ownership??

Just a thought - what do you guys think??? Please make your cheques out to Mr C. Ash and send them directly yo me....;)

Seriously though, what d'ya think??

Dive safe.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hi Bren sounds like a good idea.  If we can get the co-ownership stuff sorted and a fund for maintenance etc then I'd be up for it.

Any ideas for fund raising?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Hey Tim,

If all else fails, then Davey knows some 'wrong-uns' that might - in their beneficence - be willing to do a bank job!

Seriously though, apart from what we can all chip in ourselves, we could do everything from a sponsored 'who can stay down the longest on a single 12l in Devil's Bridge?', to a sponsored 'canal clean-up (sub-aqua)'. The list is endless.

Come on then, let's have some suggestions from the floor please?! Remember, this will benefit us all!!

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Have to find out legal issues, what are the running costs etc.

Do you need a license??

There are second hand ones on loot online.

Or we could go robbing, Bren your near Hollingworth Lakes in Rochdale. Im sure you have a dodgy past!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

S/h RIBS?, in this month's 'Dive' they range from £1,400 (4m avon searider, mariner 40hp, inc trailer) to £18,500 for a Humber Destroyer 6.5M , 150hp Johnson, inc twin axle trailer etc.
More realistically you'd probably need something like the 5.2M with 140hp, GPS, radio, fishfinder and trailer; £2,550 (seems very cheap indeed that one).

If YD were to go down that road, there'd be a bunch of stuff to sort out first, ie who gets to pilot it, where's it kept, insurance, who pays for repairs? (boats can be soooo expensive to maintain)

From my own experience I know that buying a boat leads to all kinds of complications. Still, not intending to p*** on the parade, just sharing my experiences.
Cheers
Steve

·
Resident Princess & 'Ned Redresser'
194 Posts
Imported post

In principle a good idea - although as has already been pointed out - a few things would need to be sorted out first. (eg. it's "home", how to resolve conflicts re: when lots of folk want to take it to different destinations, who has VHF licence, RYA powerboat cert etc...).

On the specific point though - I am "dual-qualified" on the legal front, but since I no longer practice (law anyway!) in England I do not have the necessary certificates with the Law Society  - plus I was never much into contract law! - locking up neds is more my style these days!

Doesn't PaulC have a legal job?? or am I mistaken?

Fi

PS. Liked the "fair Fiona" bit though :wink: :smile:

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Ribs eh?
Having joined a SAA club which has two, argued about who is towing, staying on, not diving from, which pairs get into the water to allow boat cover of the blasted thing. Not forgeting who washes it off, fills it up and tows it back

It has been decided that they are going to sell one. Oh thats because they need the money from the sale to maintain the other as it needs two new engines or bigger ones. According to the boat drivers, handlers I think they call themselves.
A costing was done, apart from the fact that the ribs were bought as part of a grant (which YD's won't have). It works out cheaper with less hassle to go on a day boat. And when I say cheaper, not just the cost of it in the water, I mean the towing person wants extra cash for wear and tear, insurance, plus fuel.
Sorry and all that, if this doesn't put you off, let me know as we want someone to buy a rib

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

Hey Andy,

Can you give us some idea of what kind of gelt we're looking at for this RIB you're looking to part with? And a spec? Length? Width? Size/output/HP of the outboard(s)?? Capacity (seating)? VHF Radio included? Cox's Bar? Trailer included? etc. etc?

Cheers in advance,

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Just to possibly concur with some of the above posts I agree that boats are expensive things to maintain and insure.

I feel we'd really have to do a proper cost/benefit analysis before buying sommat.

No against in principle but certainly can forsee probs. Also I'm sticking with Billy in Abbs. If he saw me on a RIB he'd ram me and quite rightly so !!!!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Agree with Andy - our club has a 5.5m rib, and along with all the troubles he mentions, there's also the fact that it's really not big enough. But by the time you get one that's comfortably large, you've got something that's ******* expensive..
If it weren't for the fact I get a days diving for £20, I'd never go on it

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Well have to be carefull, or well turn into a crowbar club. Bren and Co will be having board meetings and sending us off to boot camp to do push ups!!!

What we need is a scouse contingent to nick us stuff!!

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

What's wrong with crowbars?I always try and dive with a C-bar(a small 18inch one is ideal)as they make really versatile tools.You can hold onto things with em,clang em against your tank to gain attention etc.At the Anglesey dive last year I dived with Bren and took my new,shiny yellow crowbar(even AndyH was salivating at it's smooth sensual puposefull lines!),did I abuse anything with it?No not much.Even that big Lobby remained safe in his hole! Remember,a RIB is only a means of getting to a divesite with a bigger crowbar!I say love your C-bar,and your lumpies and Gelly,you'll never know when you may need it,pesky portholes!Should be standard kit for all,...blah..blah..blah..Tale care all,Hobby.

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Personally, I have nothing against crowbars.

Would take down a Power Cutter if possible!!!

Just a good way of taking the P!**  !!

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Ben
If your serious about buying 'the rib' I'll make enquires, the sale is to be voted on at the next annual meeting, later this/early next year.
I really would advise against it though Dominic says he gets charged about £20 per day, the same as we do. Think how much a skipper like Billy charges and thats a hard boat.
You'll have to sell you twins and all dive off a single cylinder, no room on a rib for luxury y' know
)

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Andy W on 8:50 pm on Nov. 21, 2002
Ben
If your serious about buying 'the rib' I'll make enquires, the sale is to be voted on at the next annual meeting, later this/early next year.
)
<span =''>

Woooooooooow!!!!!!!!!

Ben can hardly afford to eat as it is with diving on air, buy a RIB!!!  
Im from Yorkshire matey, rather buy a rubber dingy!!!

Although if I win a lottery Ill happily buy YD a massive Liveaboard.

But on a serious note. I think its a hard question, this collective buying lark, especially in regards to ongoing costs. But Id happily chip in if we got it together!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Imported post

Naaah,

I think Andy W's right - what started out as 'goood idea' has had to grow up on the facts, and they don't make for pleasant reading. And the thought of any RIB becoming a potential source of rancour between any of the Troop negates the desire to proceed.

Hard boats and one-off payments on the day seem to be theme-de jour, so we'll stick to what we got.......unless Ben does win the big one and then we'll hold him to his Liveaboard promise ;)

Heigh-ho.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

:hmmm::soapbox:Just read Brens suggestion with the idea of buying a RIB. As its already been bourne out by a few others, its not buying the thing thats the problematic part.

In the past I've been involved running, towing launching and recovering RIBS, both within a club environment and privately, and I also like the comfort of a decent charter boat of which of course Billy's is one.

The cost of running a RIB is pretty expensive Insurance,
kitting out, maintenance and repairs and replacement of kit through wear and tear takes its toll. The costs shared between a group brings it down to a more reasonable level. Like anything you get out of it what you put in. In the past I've been party to situations where a handfull of people are contributing to the running of a rib spending time doing repairs and purchasing new equipment. Whilst some want the advantages of its use without getting their hands in  their pocket and wallet out.
Already mentioned by someone is the preverbial hot topic of who tows it, generally the the cost of petrol is split between the Groups users.

Following ALL this potential negativity you might well think are there ANY advantages.
YES, plenty
FLEXIBILITY is the key here ,
It's good to be able to choose your own dive sites,and blast out to where YOU want to go many of the better dive sites are off the charter routes in places where hardboat navigation is difficult.
SPEED= with the right set up you can be out and back from the dive before some charter hardboats have even got there.
NEW LOCATIONS=You have the advantage of being able to search and locate new sites and wrecks, without some unscrupuluous skipper looking at his watch thinking where's the minimum distance he can take you for the money. ie can he drop you off on the Breda at Oban again?
? Please NO

Just to put the record straight,I think this year YD has had some excellent Trips this year, and agree Billy's the Dogs B*ll**ks. Suppose we could always hire a rib and have the advantages.!!!!!!!!!!

Are you havin this one?
Tony  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

A RIB would be handy if we wanted to organize our own YD-REDS type scheme to look for less dived wrecks. I believe we have one member who has a RIB but I can't remember who that is now
Chee-az
Steve

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

I have to say I don't think it is feasible.  Too many things to go wrong and sully our fine site.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts