YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Canon 10-22 - and have just got the tokina 10-17mm (but don't have a port yet)

And the Canon 60mm Macro

After running into an octopus last weekend (i've never photographed one in uk yet!) with the macro lens, i'm thinking i might take the 18-55 kit lens in at Lundy this weekend to give me a bit more flexibility...

What are you favourite lenses for u/w!?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
At the moment, in the UK I always us a Sigma 10-20mm but I thinking about taking the Tamron 90mm next time I go to a close up friendly place like Trefor Pier. Before this line up I used to use a 18-70 which was ok but not wide enough or close enough.

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
Dim newbie q. why a 10-22 AND a 10-17, surely that's overlap or does one focus closer?
I was surprised at one result I got from an 18-70 in Lundy (but only the one :) )
If you're concentrating on seals, which lets face it are people sized, then the 18-70 will be a good compromise.

BTW, we had one octo 'spot' last weekend in Lundy ;)

Am leaning with a 105mm macro at the mo.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
For underwater use, I use a Nikon 10.5mm fisheye and have been lusting over a Nikon 105mm VR for macro work...

On land, my 'must have' lenses are my Sigma 17-70mm (a very versatile lens with great IQ), Nikon 24-70mm (where only the best IQ will do), Sigma 10-20mm (great WA lens for interior shots/landscapes etc), Nikon 50mm (everyone should own a 'nift-fifty') and a Sigma 70-200mm (which would actually be a Nikon 70-200mm if I could afford it!).

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
I have a vast array of Nikon lenses accumulated over 42 years as a photographer. Underwater, I find I use only three. The Tokina 10-17 on DX, the Nikon 16 on FX and the Nikon 60 Macro on either.
If you were at the Dive Show and noticed the A1-size prints adorning the walls of the VIP lounge (inside and out) the pictures were all taken with these lenses.

·
"Look mate, the problem's between the user and the
2,711 Posts
10-22 canon for wide angle...
depending on size of the subjects 60 or 100mm canon MAcros

if going smaller than the 100 can spot easily, i use the small extension tube with the 100mm

·
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!
1,751 Posts
Tokina 10-17 for fisheye. Nice lens, but not perfect. Starting to use a Nikon 24mm for when the fisheye is too wide (Pike sized fish) and it is sharper than the Tokina, but quite restrictive as if too much water between you and subject the lens does lack contrast so has to be used with care. Macro I have the 60mm Nikon - very sharp, but no better than the 50mm Sigma it replaced.

I have a 105 for abroad.

Essential for me in UK is a wet lens diopter to stick on the front of my 60mm to get super close to the small stuff. Love the lens.
Rob

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I'm getting a feeling that I NEED a nikon 60mm.
Not sure about others but I find the 105mm VR far too bulky on land so haven't even considered it underwater.

·
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!
1,751 Posts
G

·
IMO a 105mm wont work as wel as a 60mm in UK waters, too much of a water column between the lens and the subject, as apparently you need to keep a distance for focus

·
devil-may-care Diver and U/W tog
1,358 Posts
I had a Canon10-22mm but found it edges notciealy soft (in and Ike Housing + 8" dome), after an epic amount of research i found alot of others has found the same with and identicle setup... which is why i swiched to the Tokina.. which again has a few limitations but, for me, produces better edge results uw (.. note: just my set up may well be perfect in others housings/port/dome combo's)..

10-22 was cracking above water...

·
Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe
3,276 Posts

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
That seems like a very reasonable excuse to do precisely that? No? :) ;)
I know where you're coming from Christian.
I have the Tamron 90mm which he can't focus and my Father's 105mm which he could but at £600 in teenage hands it's something for close supervision only.
And he's already suggested a 60mm for him.

·
Nauticam UK
788 Posts
Hi Mike, the 10-22 - I had the same problem with soft corners with a dome port alone, I added a 20mm extension which brought the port further forward and the softness was noticeably less. Alex

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Often people don't realise that the dome-port and its position relative to the lens is an important part of the optical system. I have housings by six different manufacturers and one with its port is distinctly sharper across the frame. Of course, rectilinear lenses struggle behind dome ports whereas an otherwise crappy surface-use lens like the Tokina 10-17 appears to have been designed for the job once it's behind curved glass. It is excellent!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts